From a member review:

paulista1950

"We are now experiencing the unpleasant practice of paying in US dollars"

Was it ever different?

"and having $11.50 per person per day gratuities added to our onboard account immediately we arrive on board."

I didn't understand the "immediately we arrive on board" part, did anyone?

Was it ever different?

"and having $11.50 per person per day gratuities added to our onboard account immediately we arrive on board."

The "Auto Gratuity Charge" is shown in full on my account statement from the day after we boarded, but the whole amount of your statement doesn't get added to your credit card until the cruise is finished.

Edited by Ray66

The "Auto Gratuity Charge" is shown in full on my account statement from the day after we boarded, but the whole amount of your statement doesn't get added to your credit card until the cruise is finished.

but I still can't see what it's the problem! Anyway, it's not important, Happy New Year Everybody, be it on $, pounds, euros, or any other currency

Was it ever different?

I don't understand this quote? Usually you have to provide a credit card or Debit Card for on board purchases at boarding time and to pay for the cruise prior to cruising. Whether your country is using US dollars or British Pounds or Canadian Dollars or the Euro it is just an amount of money that will be taken off your account to pay your way. It will be done on the ship in US dollars but removed from your account in your base currency at the going exchange. So why insult with the comment about it being unpleasant using US dollars?

The charge is made to pay the crew that wait on you. But don't they charge the out going passenger and the on coming passenger on the same day the amount and double the income for that day??

Anyway, I hope all cruising now are doing well, over eating, drinking too much (if they do drink) and enjoying great company.

Edited by DDBINK1

". But don't they charge the out going passenger and the on coming passenger on the same day the amount and double the income for that day??" Excelent question! Who dares to answer it?

No

It is a daily charge for Britannia Guests being $11.50

So if you have 4 complete days on the ship, and disembark on the 5th

you get charged $46

Their is no double charging of any passenger.

The extra charges one would have is your bank charges, if you use a credit charge which is not in $ most banks will charge a fee.

". But don't they charge the out going passenger and the on coming passenger on the same day the amount and double the income for that day??" Excelent question! Who dares to answer it?

No you don't get charged the day you disembark.

No

It is a daily charge for Britannia Guests being $11.50

So if you have 4 complete days on the ship, and disembark on the 5th

you get charged $46

Their is no double charging of any passenger.

The extra charges one would have is your bank charges, if you use a credit charge which is not in $ most banks will charge a fee.

I did not know a bank would charge for the exchange. So I checked with my bank, and they said since I have a certain amount in my accounts, then the charge is not made if I were to buy something with my debit card in another country that made the charge in non US funds. But banks being a business they must make money some how.

Is this the review under discussion - http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=267957

If so, I noticed this opening statement: "We have just returned from our second cruise on the Queen Victoria and what a shock"

Hotel and Dining charges are nothing new, or is the fact that USD is the currency used. The 15% added gratuity to bar purchases has been in place for years, albeit not without controversy.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the reviewer was shocked. Had he or she participated in this forum, the 'shock' might have been limited to dismay. Furthermore, since it was the second time the reviewer was on board, I'm rather surprised that these details weren't noticed the first time.

Curiously yours,

Salacia - surprised but not often shocked

Edited by Salacia

Why we are asked to supply a credit card upon boarding is because there is a check on how much credit is available. If that credit card or debit card exceeds the passenger's credit limit at any point during the voyage, that passenger will be called to the Pursar Desk, and alternative credit (or cash) must be provided before on board charges can continue. I have read that there is a 'hold' on credit cards for a certain amount of anticipated per diem charges, not only on Cunard but on other lines.

I haven't experienced any difficulties because we are debt adverse, but folks who carry a balance need to be aware please. < for whatever that advise is worth :)

Edited by Salacia

Regarding the reviewer, copied from http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=267957

jessica09

1 Review

Member Since 2014

0 Posts

Why would a recent member who had never posted on a cruise critic forum decide to post a review? Especially one with so many obvious questions, leaving the validity in question?

In all fairness, I suppose it could be turned around, and someone could ask me why I've posted too many times but never wrote a review.

Why we are asked to supply a credit card upon boarding is because there is a check on how much credit is available.

We are certainly always asked, it's assumed anyway, but you can decline and opt to pay in cash.

Just leave $300 in your account and pay in dollars or other currencies (Cunard will just convert to dollars)

At least that's how understand it.

If I am paying my on board account in cash, how much money do I need to put up front?

You may add credit to your account at any time by visiting the Pursers Desk. You will be required to pay a minimum payment of U.S $300.00 per person (if two cards are being registered) or per cabin if a couple (if registering one card) to your on board account when you board the ship. Your account must be in credit at all times.