world cruise 2015

silver_traveller

Forgive the question .... is this the long-term serving Oliver with the impish almost cheeky grin? Been around for many years? I thought he had been promoted and was in management.

Not sure . I was on the last segment of the WC on 2013 and that's where I met him. He's quite a singer too.When they let him he'd sing a few. I guess a few of the long time cruisers could help answer your question.

Not sure . I was on the last segment of the WC on 2013 and that's where I met him. He's quite a singer too.When they let him he'd sing a few. I guess a few of the long time cruisers could help answer your question.

That's the one. He manages some of the best staff parties .... ;)

We had a run of bad luck on WC2014 segment 1 and needed a cobbler for my dh and I bought new sandals (not $400.) Got both ashore in Honolulu.

On a WC a cobbler could be a welcome addition for the budget minded passengers who choose to mend their shoes rather than buy new. Unfortunately, I suspect we are rare among SS's clientele. (I'd also be happy with the McDonald's idea Jeff was spouting. My husband and I were the only SS passengers the crew had ever run into at a McDonalds in port, although that was 2008 and now with the free wifi, others may be showing up there too.)

Oliver was running the bar and singing up a storm as usual on our recent Whisper cruise this past Sept-Oct.

Oliver was running the bar and singing up a storm as usual on our recent Whisper cruise this past Sept-Oct.

I do so remember the first time I met Oliver. We were on a med cruise so basically stayed on board all day when everyone else was going places, so the pool bar was sublimely quiet all day. Lot's of Planters!

I was grumbling about the lack of cashew nuts in the mixed nuts ... and how many of those weren't whole cashews but bits and pieces. He thought this was hugely funny. He went off and came back with a big fresh bag of mixed nuts and a pair of tweezers and started to select out all the large cashews one by one and put them one by one into a small bowl for me. That was service. I so loved his company.

:)

On the Spirit last spring, a couple of young guys set up sort of a kiosk/ table stand to display some sort of fancy pick to decorate flip flops which seemed silly, at first, but judging from the ladies clamoring for these things, I thought I would take a look. Lots of pretty and fun choices and I thought it would be a good way to use up some ship credit. When I put my eyeglasses on to look more closely......I realized that what I thought that the sign said....$38.00....was actually $380.00! And they were doing a brisk business. I also am continually un-wowed by the very expensive clothing choices in the shops that are man made/polyester/modal. Very tacky at any price.

On the Spirit last spring, a couple of young guys set up sort of a kiosk/ table stand to display some sort of fancy pick to decorate flip flops which seemed silly, at first, but judging from the ladies clamoring for these things, I thought I would take a look. Lots of pretty and fun choices and I thought it would be a good way to use up some ship credit. When I put my eyeglasses on to look more closely......I realized that what I thought that the sign said....$38.00....was actually $380.00! And they were doing a brisk business. I also am continually un-wowed by the very expensive clothing choices in the shops that are man made/polyester/modal. Very tacky at any price.

Not a "flop" for these two guys but a load of cobblers for those that didn't look at the sign as closely as you ... real spiv activity. :eek:

I wonder when SS will start selling snide stuff (uk="snide" = US="fake") such as Rolex and perfumes etc .....

IAs I said, wouldn't mind a MacDonald's though ....

Jeff

We were on the December 12, 2014 sailing and met with the cobbler. He works for Preludio, Capri, Italy. The website is preludiocapri.com you can view most or all the styles available. This is a high end company who had Jackie Kennedy as a customer and who is popular with famous actresses.

The cobbler is by the pool and yes, takes up a small shady area. He fits soles to the size of your foot. You choose the sole (with or without a heel) and the style you want. There are several styles to choose from and the more bling, the more expensive they get. Some have a simple strap and go for about $150-$180.

Problems I had with this purchase:

The sole does not fit a wide foot.

If you select a style with stones and lose just 1 little stone, you can never wear them again unless you are willing to go search for replacement stones in craft stores something I have done fruitlessly for another pair of sandals I purchased at Bealls. At least, I was out only $20 instead of $380.

The shops onboard were a great disappointment. There was very little inventory and again, some bling from a very limited line of Swarovski items. No logoed items other than a few t-shirts, sweaters and caps but plenty of different colognes to chose from.

Edited by Fighterone

I am astonished that we have not heard of the onboard cobbler/shoemaker before. I really thought this references was an early April Fool's joke. Silversea must be really desperate for money (too much invested in excursion ships?). The onboard jewelry/sales consultant was bad enough -- directing guests to shore shops where they would get "special discounts." He took up lounge space and accosted me twice in bars. But he wasn't an eyesore like this cobbler. I fear that Silversea is getting more and more like Carnival.

I am astonished that we have not heard of the onboard cobbler/shoemaker before. I really thought this references was an early April Fool's joke. Silversea must be really desperate for money (too much invested in excursion ships?). The onboard jewelry/sales consultant was bad enough -- directing guests to shore shops where they would get "special discounts." He took up lounge space and accosted me twice in bars. But he wasn't an eyesore like this cobbler. I fear that Silversea is getting more and more like Carnival.

His name was Genarro. He was only there to make sandals from the materials he had. This was our first time on Silversea and "yes" we were rather surprised to see this type of vendor and more so when we saw his outrageous prices which matched those of the website I mentioned in the previous post.

If enough people sign a petition I am prepared to change my name to Luigi and open a pizza bar. I promise to only use Caputo "00" flour and San Marzano tomatoes and smoke a cigarette when rolling out the ball to get the authentic Neapolitan flavour.

On Fridays I will change my name to Concepta dress up as a woman and make fish and chips.

On Saturdays I will change my name to Stavros and make kebabs and pittas. I will wear a stained apron.

On Sunday I will change my name to Delia, wear a wig and do prime rib of beef with Yorkshire puds gravy and roast potatoes in goose fat. I will keep geese to make this possible.

I will offer a delivery service and do my best to upset everybody.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

After the long flight to Sydney from LA (thank God for business class) we arrived on the 27th to gray skies and rain.Yesterday was a spectacular day,as is today. The Whisper arrived yesterday ,but it's over at the other wharf,so we didn't see it. We will be boarding the Whisper in a few hours and sail tonight. The wife's birthday today too. BTW,a great restaurant in Sydney is the Icebergs at Bondi Beach. Spectacular views of the raging surf below. Keep you posted.

Boarded yesterday and as there were only 20 guests boarding we were on at 11 and in our rooms. There was a coast guard drill at 10,or we would've been on board sooner. There are currently 290 on board. We find the ship to be very clean,and in excellent condition. Yes, the carpeting is older,but we haven't found any stains.In fact the carpets were being cleaned.

Service and food have been excellent. I had arranged through guest services before leaving to have champagne in the room on arrival,and lobster tails for my wife at LaTerrazza for her birthday. It had all been taken care of and my wife enjoyed her birthday surprise. There are flowers in the room,the butler offered the selections of soaps and offered to unpack which we declined. However,that was the first time on any cruise line where the butler actually asked us. At afternoon tea there were fresh roses at every table and a pianist playing softly.

Oliver is providing cloth coasters at the bar,and there was breakfast available by the pool this morning. The sea has been VERY rough since leaving Sydney,but everything is functioning as usual. Also,when the butler found out it was my wife's b-day he sent us a cake to the room.

More updates later as we purchased the unlimited page. BTW,the duck ragout was outstanding.

Boarded yesterday and as there were only 20 guests boarding we were on at 11 and in our rooms. There was a coast guard drill at 10,or we would've been on board sooner. There are currently 290 on board. We find the ship to be very clean,and in excellent condition. Yes, the carpeting is older,but we haven't found any stains.In fact the carpets were being cleaned.

Service and food have been excellent. I had arranged through guest services before leaving to have champagne in the room on arrival,and lobster tails for my wife at LaTerrazza for her birthday. It had all been taken care of and my wife enjoyed her birthday surprise. There are flowers in the room,the butler offered the selections of soaps and offered to unpack which we declined. However,that was the first time on any cruise line where the butler actually asked us. At afternoon tea there were fresh roses at every table and a pianist playing softly.

Oliver is providing cloth coasters at the bar,and there was breakfast available by the pool this morning. The sea has been VERY rough since leaving Sydney,but everything is functioning as usual. Also,when the butler found out it was my wife's b-day he sent us a cake to the room.

More updates later as we purchased the unlimited page. BTW,the duck ragout was outstanding.

Dear fdnycruiser, If possible try to go to http://www.vuedemonde.com.au/vue_de_monde

great restaurant with the best view of Melbourne,

alas we are going on board for lunch only, & wish your wife a happy birthday from all of us down under... Cheers. M.P.

Fdnycruiser, have a great trip. I tried to book this segment last year when the schedule came out, but was told "no, we are only booking the entire world cruise". So we booked auckland to melbourne on spirit, leaving Feb 12, instead. Then a few months ago, we got an offer to book this segment, which obviously we couldn't do since we had the other booked, and we still have to work.

Thank you Masonic & Rachel. Tomorrow we'll be stopping in Melbourne arriving at 10:30 AM & leaving at 8 PM. That's a slight change in published times due to the rough seas. 20 foot waves last night, but slightly better today. Tonight is the Captains Welcome party,and will now be casual dress instead of formal because of the rocking and rolling. Fernando said the decision was made for safety concerns as walking is difficult in regular clothes and attire. Heels and gowns would almost prove impossible. No one has complained about that decision.

The Capt. is Capt Angelo Corsaro, CD isFernando,and Hotel Mgr. is Norman Rafelson. I forgot how to spell the Maitre D's name,but he's been on the WC before. I'll post it when I can get it right.

Masonic,enjoy your lunch and take care of the Whisper while we enjoy your beautiful city.