Regent disembarkation process

OctoberKat

I have asked the G.M. currently onboard the Explorer and also a person in Miami headquarters. They both said that flights after 10:00 a.m. out of Miami are fine (our flight is a little after 11:00 a.m.) They have a lot more experience than we do on this topic so we did not change our flights.

I would never book any flights before noon. Why? and I live in S. Florida. 1. Clearance of the ship. 2. Delayed arrival. 3. Slow downs from port authority. 4. ship inspections. 5. Traffic or accidents 6. Slow TSA lines at MIA. You need to be at the airport two hours before departure.

OctoberKat posted that she had decided to wait and fly home the next day, almost two years ago. She has posted on various forums, so she made it home fine.

When Regent was sailing into Ft. Lauderdale, it was such a different experience for flights home. I wouldn't think of booking a flight out of Miami before early afternoon; I don't live in S. Florida, but we had an office there for several years and had a condo, so you could say we used to live there. Even then, not out of MIA.

For what it is worth, here is today's debarkation from Mariner in Miami terminal J:

7:00am...scheduled arrival of Mariner at the port. We were on time.

8:15am...scheduled first group to be called to debark

8:45am...ACTUAL first group called

Nobody can leave the ship until all luggage is off the ship, organized in the terminal building, and cleared. You are at the mercy of the dock workers and customs. There were many nervous people with flights in jeopardy.

Edited by Anchorbuoy

I have asked the G.M. currently onboard the Explorer and also a person in Miami headquarters. They both said that flights after 10:00 a.m. out of Miami are fine (our flight is a little after 11:00 a.m.) They have a lot more experience than we do on this topic so we did not change our flights.

TC, I have much more experience traveling out of MIA than any cruise line. FLL is a breeze and doable and even then the ship can be held up for many reasons I mentioned. NOTHING is safe before noon in MIA. Why stress it.

Edited by Suite Travels

To answer Merly's question - we had a great tour of Miami as we had a late day flight home. It was a double-decker open topped bus which toured Miami and you could stop and get back on a later bus. Luggage was collected and stored at their mini-terminal in the large mall adjacent to the port. No charge - although gratuities for the driver naturally are welcomed. We killed about three hours just touring around - nice sunny day - far better than sitting in a crowded airport and a lovely finish to a fabulous cruise. Enjoy!

Rob

My experience for Miami is not to book a flight as early as you would for Fort Lauderdale.

I usually recommend a flight at Noon if you are arriving to the Port of Miami terminal and flying out of Miami International Airport.

Although you might be able to make an earlier flight there is risk at this port.

I have seen the best here and the worst.

I would also want to arrive to the airport at least 90 minutes or more before your flight.

Keith

To answer Merly's question - we had a great tour of Miami as we had a late day flight home. It was a double-decker open topped bus which toured Miami and you could stop and get back on a later bus. Luggage was collected and stored at their mini-terminal in the large mall adjacent to the port. No charge - although gratuities for the driver naturally are welcomed. We killed about three hours just touring around - nice sunny day - far better than sitting in a crowded airport and a lovely finish to a fabulous cruise. Enjoy!

Rob

Thank you for your response. If you were taken back to the mini terminal next to the port, how did you then get to the airport?