Live (better late than never!) From the Star Princess (Hawaii)

Weluv2cruise2007

So this is sort of a "Live From" as we are still sailing, but s much as I thought about it, I didn't unfortunately take the time to do this review day by day. So here's a glimpse of our cruise thus far.

Embarkation - total chaos. I don't however blame Princess for this....there were significant problems with the port of SF and in particular the Porters. The Porters were rude bullies who did their best to sucker as many passengers as possible by telling them BS such as it would cost them $5 per bag for them to take their bags for them. There was zero order, lines were irrelevant...whoever was waving money got assistance...others just waited - most people confused. That's the one time we said Princess could have done more - they needed to have more representation outside assisting and directing people. We are seasoned cruisers, so even though SF was new, we knew what should be happening, and my husband is fairly aggressive so we were not "had", but many new cruisers had no idea what was going on. Add to that the fact that it was raining and crowded and tensions were high. As it turned out, the Porters apparently decided to enforce their contract and stopped working at 5pm even though there was plenty of luggage still on the pier (contract says they can only work so many hrs without a break). They were also apparently not happy with the tips they were receiving or what was going on so they dumped an entire pallet of luggage into the ocean - seriously. Rumour has it a few pieces were never recovered (unconfirmed), and that Princess staff were the ones fishing them out of the Pacific. We were supposed to leave at 5, but didn't leave til after 11pm. The late departure did not affect our timings or arrival in Mexico, so was of no consequence, and as I mentioned, we did not hold Princess responsible for the fiasco, and certainly did not let it spoil our first day. I'm certain Princess will be having a "conversation" with the Port Authority....after all - they don't need to depart from here.

The Ship: We were very lucky to be the first passengers on board after dry dock. The ship was spic and span clean, fresh, the majority (if not all) of the carpets in the public areas are new, I believe the seats in the theatre are new as well....all in all the ship is in great shape and looked fantastic for the holidays. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive and the cruise director Dave Cole is great.

Ensenada - for those who may not know, stopping in Ensenada is a Maritime Law requirement...the ship must hit a foreign port, and given Hawaii is American, a quick stop in Mexico meets the requirement. In this port my husband went for a massage at a spa which was recommended here and after a quick walk about I went back to the ship. I could have very easily stayed aboard. I found it dirty and uninteresting. I talked to some people who took an excursion to the blow hole, but it didn't really interest us. If you're not taking an excursion, unless you just want to walk around, I wouldn't even bother.

4 glorious days at sea: We LOVE our sea days. The only problem with the beginning was we got some bad weather and it got pretty rough. I wasn't feeling well, and judging from the stampede to the on-board shop for Bonine, I wasn't alone. Unfortunately while I was down and out I missed some of the opportunities available such as signing up for Ukelele lessons and lei making. These classes were so popular they required day before sign up so people could be placed in groups. I did however join the Hula the next day which was great and a lot of fun. Hula and Ukulele were free, and I believe the ship hosted lei class was free but there was a charge for the other lei classes run by our on-deck Hawaiian hosts. There was no shortage of things to do while at sea....plenty of trivia, activities, cultural talks, port talks etc etc. Do as much or as little as you want.

Hilo: For our excursions, 3 out of the 4 ports we used Robert's Hawaii. This was an incredible money saver. They mirror the ship's excursions almost exactly for a fraction of the price. We even saw in Kauai that the ship subcontracted Robert's for their tours, so here we were, doing the same tour, but the folks going through the ship paid close to double. For our THREE tours, we paid $120 PP. The same 3 tours with the ship cost $213 PP, and the Hilo tour through the ship did not include a stop at Rainbow Falls. Anyhow, in Hilo we went to the Volcano National Park, Rainbow Falls and the macadamia nut factory. It was a great day and a fantastic tour.

Honolulu: If you have never been, I can't imagine not going to Pearl Harbour when you come to Honolulu. We had an early morning tour which included the Arizona memorial as well as the Missouri (Mighty Mo) - which we now know was also extremely important to visit. Although it was a long day in Honolulu, we didn't do much the rest of the day as we are travelling with a toddler and didn't want to push him too hard. There was a Luau we could have done in Paradise Cove, but it was about an hour away and we didn't want to travel that far. When we got back, we went aboard to freshen up and get a bite to eat and then we walked to Hilo Hatties. There is a free shuttle but we wanted to walk. By the time we left it was getting dark and to be honest, if I had been alone I would have been nervous. We found Honolulu to be dirty and sketchy. We were happy to get back to the ship. I've been to Waikiki before so it wasn't important to me, and Hubby wasn't that interested.

Nawiliwili (Kauai): We did another tour with Robert's....this one even better than the first by virtue of small size; the group was about half the size of the first one which was nice. Less people to "corral" and more personalized service. We went to Waimea Canyon and a tour of the more affluent areas which were on route. Kauai is gorgeous and it was a beautiful day.

Maui: Robert's again...today we went to Ioa Valley (gorgeous!) as well as the Maui Plantation which included a little tram tour of the plantation. This was a very low key day and there was only about a dozen people on the tour which was great. Maui is beautiful and the tour was great...just what we needed on the last day - low stress and relaxed. Everything in the town of Lahaina is walking distance from the tender terminal, so it was very convenient. There is a ton of shops, places to eat etc right there before going back aboard. We tried to go get a famed "Ululani" shaved ice but the line was so long we gave up. There was however a little take-out which is connected to the shaved ice place which we ended up getting some mahi mahi tacos and quesadilla for our little guy which was a perfect snack to hold us til supper.

We're on our final four days at sea....I pray they go slowly as I have no desire to go back to reality! This has been an outstanding cruise...easily 10/10 - I honestly can't think of a single complaint. I love the fact that you really get to know the staff due to the length of the voyage. If anyone reading this is travelling this cruise soon you will quickly get to know Nico at the International Cafe...easily one of the friendliest staff we've met with amazing service. Ask him how he is, and supposing he had a nail stuck in his foot, I'm confident his answer would still be "Fantastic!!" He helps us start our day off right! Something else I must mention....Chocolate Journeys. OH MY GOD is all I can say!! I am a foodie and a dessert lover and these desserts are beyond amazing. They are so beautiful that on some level I don't even want to eat them, (but I do!!) and they are somehow getting progressively more amazing although I don't even know how it is possible. Seriously....I can't possibly explain how amazing these desserts are. For goodness sakes....NEVER pass one up! A new Chocolate Journeys dessert appears on the MDR menu every couple of days. So far we've had 4 and hopefully there will be at least 2 more. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

Well, that's all for now. I'm praying the seas stay calm for our trip home. I guess I shouldn't complain....although we had rough seas on the way over, the poor people who cruised the week before us had terrible weather in Hawaii, so much so that all tours in Maui were cancelled. Our weather was gorgeous all 4 days so we're very grateful for that. I'll try and come back and let you all know how the last leg goes! Happy New Year!

Thank you so much for your wonderful report! We will be on the Star on Feb. 27....our first time on Princess. A couple of questions for you. We usually cruise in the fall to Europe, where the weather is cool to cold. I'm trying to decide how to pack for this trip. What are the women wearing during the day...evening...in the Hawaii ports? Are the dining rooms, theatre, etc. on the ship cool. I usually find I need a long sleeve tee or sweater when on board.

I'm sure I'll have more questions too, so thank you and no rush to answer...just enjoy your cruise!

Mahalo for the "Live from".;) Glad to hear about the shape of the ship as we will be on her in mid Feb. We did the Hawaii on her a couple of years ago and the crew was one of the best we have had on all our Princess cruises. We'll look up Nico, if his contract is still on, and glad to hear more good things about Dave Cole as we have not had him as a CD before.:D We have read about your departure nightmare on one or two other threads here on CC. I do hope they get those overpaid, underworked, over tipped, whiners squared away before we depart.:eek:

Edited by Holomoku

...........If anyone reading this is travelling this cruise soon you will quickly get to know Nico at the International Cafe...easily one of the friendliest staff we've met with amazing service. Ask him how he is, and supposing he had a nail stuck in his foot, I'm confident his answer would still be "Fantastic!!" He helps us start our day off right!................

Nico was working in the Horizon Court during our Hawaii cruise on the Star last year. Every time that we saw him he was all smiles and greeted us with a "Good day! How are you messieur, how are you madam?" We made sure that we filled out a "You Made a Difference" card for him.

Mahalo for the "Live from".;) Glad to hear about the shape of the ship as we will be on her in mid Feb. We did the Hawaii on her a couple of years ago and the crew was one of the best we have had on all our Princess cruises. We'll look up Nico, if his contract is still on, and glad to hear more good things about Dave Cole as we have not had him as a CD before.:D We have read about your departure nightmare on one or two other threads here on CC. I do hope they get those overpaid, underworked, over tipped, whiners squared away before we depart.:eek:

Dave Cole taught the ukulele lessons but, unfortunately, will not be on the Star in February. He is absolutely the best. I would be interested to hear what the original poster has to say about his monarchy talks on the way back across the Pacific.

Thanks for taking the time to post this review! We board on the 3rd when you return. The ship sounds absolutely lovely! I am getting so excited and your review just added to the building excitement.

However, after reading yours and other reviews about the port in SF, I am a bit nervous about the whole embarkation process. We were planning to arrive about 11:30 at the terminal. Not sure if this is a good idea, but with hotel checkout at 11, if we don't go directly to the terminal, I'm not sure what we would do with all our luggage???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all! I'll try and answer a few questions.

- Tempertaure - I'm alawys chilly as well and the common areas are cool so I always have a sweater. Temps in Hawaii were in the 70s...comfortable but not hot.

- Hula is being taught by Lokelani and her husband is assisting David with Ukulele. We just had our dress rehearsal....there are a ton of people participating!

- Departing SF - you can't take anything aborad yourself which cannot fit in the scanner so larger luggage must be checked. Walk to the very end yourself if you can and you can possibly avoid using the porters all together.

- We had a rocky night again last night so don't forget your meds! The Bonine on board makes me stupid sleepy so if you have something non-drowsy definitely bring it!

On our Nov. 24, Hawaii cruise, Jean Paul was everywhere. He came over to say hello in the Anytime Dining, saw him three times in the AM Horizon Court, around the International Cafe and was out side of the Crab Shack, greeting guest. Jean Paul and Joel Directo (Executive Chef) did a Cooking Demo in the Princess Theater, cooking three dishes. They did a low key comedy act while cooking and it worked out okay. Jean Paul and Joe Directo came to our first Meet & Greet. The spoke about how much food was loaded onboard and their new Chocolate Journey desserts. Both are very personable. A real asset to Star Princess.

We were on the Nov Hawaii cruise and I really enjoyed all Dave Cole's talks. Lots of good info from the port previews and the monarchy talk was fantastic. I am currently reading (and enjoying) one of the books he recommended on Queen Liliuokalani. Our visit to the Iolani Palace was a highlight of our visit to Honolulu and it is within walking distance of the port.

I'm also on this cruise and loving every minute.

About embarcation, I am going to write a letter to the mayor of SF about the porters and their union. I have NEVER seen such as mess and those porters should have their pay taken away. Some people paid as much as $40 to them for handling the luggage. They also worked as slow as snails when they worked that is. Princess, I'm sure is a mad as hell too. They have to pay for every hour extra they are in port. I almost dread tomorrow with them handling luggage again. Yes they will hear from me!

Loved the hula and ukelele show yesterday. What a bunch of talented passengers. David Cole is one of the best and Mel from the choir is a gem. Great cruise and no complaints at all except from the horrible longshoremen porters.

Edited by timetravler

However, after reading yours and other reviews about the port in SF, I am a bit nervous about the whole embarkation process.

First off, let me add my voice to the chorus of "Thanks" to the OP for posting this "Live from" thread. I, too, will be boarding the Star in just a few short weeks but, alas, will only be visiting Mexico rather than Hawaii. Still, a cruise is a cruise.

I am also worried about how things are going to go at the port in San Francisco. My wife and I have only ever done Caribbean cruises to date and have had nothing but good experiences with the porters in San Juan and Ft. Lauderdale. But the many threads about the porters in San Francisco really have me worried and thinking that we should have stuck with the east coast.

First off, let me add my voice to the chorus of "Thanks" to the OP for posting this "Live from" thread. I, too, will be boarding the Star in just a few short weeks but, alas, will only be visiting Mexico rather than Hawaii. Still, a cruise is a cruise.

I am also worried about how things are going to go at the port in San Francisco. My wife and I have only ever done Caribbean cruises to date and have had nothing but good experiences with the porters in San Juan and Ft. Lauderdale. But the many threads about the porters in San Francisco really have me worried and thinking that we should have stuck with the east coast.

What part of Mexico have you cruised from East Coast?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I'm also on this cruise and loving every minute.

About embarcation, I am going to write a letter to the mayor of SF about the porters and their union. I have NEVER seen such as mess and those porters should have their pay taken away. Some people paid as much as $40 to them for handling the luggage. They also worked as slow as snails when they worked that is. Princess, I'm sure is a mad as hell too. They have to pay for every hour extra they are in port. I almost dread tomorrow with them handling luggage again. Yes they will hear from me!

Loved the hula and ukelele show yesterday. What a bunch of talented passengers. David Cole is one of the best and Mel from the choir is a gem. Great cruise and no complaints at all except from the horrible longshoremen porters.

So, what exactly was your negative experience with SF Cruise Port and the porters?

We were on the Nov Hawaii cruise and I really enjoyed all Dave Cole's talks. Lots of good info from the port previews and the monarchy talk was fantastic. I am currently reading (and enjoying) one of the books he recommended on Queen Liliuokalani. Our visit to the Iolani Palace was a highlight of our visit to Honolulu and it is within walking distance of the port.

Thanks for the info - I'm looking forward to CD David Cole's program. Can you post the name of the book about Queen Liliuokalani, please.

Thanks.

Howard