Gala Dinner

janieb1962

Hi all & happy new year!

Just looking at when to book our select dining...can anyone remind me if Gala evenings are the same as formal nights or on another day. If so anyone know when gala nights usually are or where I can find this out... We on azura on 23jan 2015

Thanks in advance

:)

Gala nights are always on a formal night. You can find out how many there are on your cruise here https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code_all

but not when they are as this is subject to change.

Edited by Host Sharon

3 of the formals will be on sea days, depending on which itinerary you are on on of the formals may be on a port day. We just did that cruise on the same itinerary and St Kits was our 3rd formal night this is because there are 2 sea days at the end of the cruise and the last night is never a formal night.

I have never cruised with PO. Can anybody let me know what is a formal night ? What happens if I selected freestyle dining? Do I have to wear black tie etc at all restaurants at these nights?

There is some inconsistency across the fleet, at least as far as the ships I have experienced are concerned.

Formal dress is required in all for the black tie nights in the main dining rooms. Evening casual is OK for the buffet. How they handle the cover charge restaurants differ.

On Ventura:

Beach House - evening casual

Glasshouse - evening casual

The White Room - formal

East - formal

Arcadia:

Ocean Grill - formal

East - evening casual

Oceana;

Cafe Jardin - evening casual

Horizon Grill - evening casual

What i find surprising is that the more formal Arcadia offers a fine dining casual option but the less formal Ventura does not.

There is some inconsistency across the fleet, at least as far as the ships I have experienced are concerned.

Formal dress is required in all for the black tie nights in the main dining rooms. Evening casual is OK for the buffet. How they handle the cover charge restaurants differ.

On Ventura:

Beach House - evening casual

Glasshouse - evening casual

The White Room - formal

East - formal

Arcadia:

Ocean Grill - formal

East - evening casual

Oceana;

Cafe Jardin - evening casual

Horizon Grill - evening casual

What i find surprising is that the more formal Arcadia offers a fine dining casual option but the less formal Ventura does not.

It does appear surprising, I agree. The only reason I can think of is in order to provide a waiter service alternative to the buffet for casual diners.

I have never cruised with PO. Can anybody let me know what is a formal night ? What happens if I selected freestyle dining? Do I have to wear black tie etc at all restaurants at these nights?

You don't have to wear black tie (unless you want to), but you do have to wear a suit on formal nights if you wish to eat in the main restaurants, otherwise you will have to eat in the buffet.