I phone 6 plus enough?

Bowie MeMe

Maybe not the place for this post but I know my friends here will try to help me. Last major trip of 30 + days I took an older smart phone, a tablet, a camera and a kindle (early model without back light) with a charger for each and the whole mess was really a bag full. I just got an I Phone 6 plus which is smaller than tablet but much larger than old smart phone.

My question: Has anyone traveled with just the I phone 6+ and not the kindle and tablet and smart phone? I would take my purse size point and shoot camera with extended zoom and several cards that will be changed every other day (once lost most of a trip's pictures when lost the camera).

Please tell me of your experiences and what apps are most useful for traveling to Indonesia and Asia (or any international travel).

Unless you want be known as the "wall hugger".... My only advice is to consider packing a 10,000mah or larger external battery to ensure you are powered the whole day.

These oversized batteries ensure you won't forget your pricy phone at a restaurant charging away.

http://www.amazon.com/Momax-iPower-GO-External-11200mAh/dp/B00E8DYKH4/ref=sr_1_3

I am down to a backlit kindle, regular iPhone 6 and an Anker external battery. I read a lot and just much prefer the experience of reading on a kindle when out in the sun than a phone/tablet screen. Used to have a kindle fire but again the paperweight is a nicer product to hold when reading and screen performs better in sunlight.

I pretty much exclusively use the camera on my phone and when travelling always have it set to iCloud back up whenever there is a wifi connection.

My current favourite travel app is tripit. Got a lot of use from that on recent trip which involved flights, car hire, multiple hotels, cruise and excursions.

I am going to Asia in February and am struggling with this myself.

I want to bring my phone (Iphone 5) for connectivity, my Kindle paperwhite for reading, and my good camera for photos (not a fan of using my phone for photography). I am trying to decide if I should bring my Ipad Air or my netbook for email and everything else. :confused:

I really like to type on a proper keyboard, and I do end up typing quite a bit (updating my notes, emailing, etc.)

It will be good to hear what others think and recommend.

I really like to type on a proper keyboard, and I do end up typing quite a bit (updating my notes, emailing, etc.)

It will be good to hear what others think and recommend.

Yeah... that's why I choose a Blackberry instead of other phones...

With regards to your Air... have you considered a bluetooth keyboard case? Made a huge difference for my tablet. Logitech/Zagg has the best keyboard feel.

BTW... what are going to do with your phone when in Asia? Are you swapping it out for a local SIM for savings? Data in Asia is so cheap.

Sent from the Blackberry Passport w/ Snap

Yeah... that's why I choose a Blackberry instead of other phones...

With regards to your Air... have you considered a bluetooth keyboard case? Made a huge difference for my tablet. Logitech/Zagg has the best keyboard feel.

BTW... what are going to do with your phone when in Asia? Are you swapping it out for a local SIM for savings? Data in Asia is so cheap.

Sent from the Blackberry Passport w/ Snap

The iPhone is my work phone. I will let them pay for data as needed. ;) I miss my Blackberry.

I appreciate your suggestion on the keyboard -- I am planning to look into it and had heard these two recommendations elsewhere also.

The iPhone is my work phone. I will let them pay for data as needed. ;) I miss my Blackberry.

I appreciate your suggestion on the keyboard -- I am planning to look into it and had heard these two recommendations elsewhere also.

This is similar to the keyboard I used for my tablet...

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/ultrathin-keyboard-cover-ipad-5

If the international roaming gets pricey... China Unicomm is my preferred carrier in HKG and Ghangzhou when I was there 5 years ago.

It certainly wouldn't do for me.

One the Camera wouldn't suit me [but I take my SLR everywhere].

The screen would be too small to comfortably read from [but my eye sight isn't as good as it once was and I read a LOT].

Reading on the Kindle app seems to be fine. All my books have transferred and even the proper page. I have not yet purchased a book yet. Will try that so plenty of books for long trip without international fees on download. I also want to try getting my Washington Post on line. Facebook is fine. Financial stuff seems Ok to check accounts and pay occasional bill. Still like full size best but for mobile this is better than anything else I have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Reading on the Kindle app seems to be fine. All my books have transferred and even the proper page. I have not yet purchased a book yet. Will try that so plenty of books for long trip without international fees on download. I also want to try getting my Washington Post on line. Facebook is fine. Financial stuff seems Ok to check accounts and pay occasional bill. Still like full size best but for mobile this is better than anything else I have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you plan on using it to read outside or to look up information while touring, I suggest you make sure you are okay with how the screen looks in bright sunlight. I find it a lot more difficult to read (due to glare) than a Kindle, and I know others have said the same....

If you plan on using it to read outside or to look up information while touring, I suggest you make sure you are okay with how the screen looks in bright sunlight. I find it a lot more difficult to read (due to glare) than a Kindle, and I know others have said the same....

Does changing the screen to black background (white letters) or sepia background help? I don't think that I would read much in the sun as I am allergic to sun and also sun screen so not much for reading outside.

I thank you all for helping me think of questions to ask myself before I leave all the other electronics at home and miss them greatly for over a month.

Does changing the screen to black background (white letters) or sepia background help? I don't think that I would read much in the sun as I am allergic to sun and also sun screen so not much for reading outside.

I thank you all for helping me think of questions to ask myself before I leave all the other electronics at home and miss them greatly for over a month.

I'm not sure if it helps that much since the glare is from the glass, but if you don't plan on using it much in full sun, you can probably live with it. :D

The problem with all these devices is that you get used to using the one that works best for a given situation, and then when it comes to travel, one is reluctant to give it up, even temporarily. But I know I will have to seriously consider leaving something behind in February. I like to travel lighter.

Not only the device itself but the chargers and the chords and the keyboard or earphones etc until the gear bag literally weighs in at about 30 pounds for the Ameribag medium cross-body teardrop shaped bag I use as my purse and gadget/electronic and camera bag. Will not put any electronics in suitcase or checked luggage so has to be carry-on. Killing the shoulders (Doctors suggest that heavy "pocketbooks" are causing physical problems and pain) and not good for back so have to "wean" from the electronic goodies. :D

• 3 weeks later...