Breakaway questions...

palmtree99

Hey all, cruising to Bermuda in July on the breakaway. I am getting married in Bermuda so I am cruising with 20 of my friends and family members. I've been on 6 cruises but none on NCL. Everyone is asking me a million questions...so I'm turning to your expertise!

1.) is the drink package really worth it when you are in port for 3 days? Did anyone buy it on a Bermuda cruise and feel they could have done without it?

2.) what shows had an extra cost? I know some cost money and possibly include dinner. Which shows? And where do you purchase tickets? I'm considering buying a show for everyone in my group. Anyone done that?

3.) is Vibe worth the money?

4.) if you were to go to one pay restaurant on the ship - which would it be?

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1.) I think the drink package is worth it, but I do drink a lot. They are currently running a promotion where you can get the drink package for free. I don't know NCL deadlines, but you may be able to cancel and re-book and get the drink package for free.

2.) The only show that costs extra is the Cirque show. It does include dinner. If you get the dining package, you can go on the first night as part of the package. Otherwise it's like 40 bucks. I didn't think it was worth it, but I don't like Cirque shows. You can book it online before your cruise. All other shows are free, but they do recommend you make reservations ahead of time. I never had an issue getting in the day of the show.

3.) I don't think Vibe is worth it, but I have only cruised in colder months. I think it may be worth it in July.

4.) Cagney's. I love steak, and they make a good one. Teppanyaki is also very good and a lot of fun. I would take everyone to Teppanyaki before doing the Cirque show.

I think all the specialty restaurants have their strengths and weaknesses. Who's traveling with you and what are their tastes?

If you want something special, try reserving one of the restaurants with outdoor seating on the Waterfront. In Bermuda, you either get a fantastic view of the historic fort or the lights of Hamilton across the sound. Either Moderno or Cagney's would be perfect for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Awesome, thank you so much for both of your suggestions, I really appreciate it!

I just didn't know if it was a mad dash to book shows and such, and wanted to be a little prepared.

Thought of another question though...

Anyone brought wine and their own corkscrew on board? If we bring wine, I'd like to avoid the corkage fee and just open it myself in my room. Would they confiscate my corkscrew?

Anyone brought wine and their own corkscrew on board? If we bring wine, I'd like to avoid the corkage fee and just open it myself in my room. Would they confiscate my corkscrew?

LOL......that's not how it works.

Wine & Champagne Policy Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Haha, thanks! I went on a royal Caribbean cruise to Bermuda in August and we brought a bottle of wine and our own corkscrew. We didn't know if they'd take it but thought we'd try. It ended up working out and we took wine glasses from dinner and drank it in our room. Didn't know if NCL was more strict about bringing those things on board.

On RCCL, they left the wine in my suitcase and delivered it to my room. On NCL, do they take the wine from you and you have to get it?

The corkage fee will be charged before you board the ship. You can bring your own corkscrew, but your steward can save you the trouble and get one for you onboard.

Ahhh, thank you! All these cruise lines do things differently. Happy to have these boards to hear feedback from past cruisers!

Thought of two more questions!

1) does everyone crowd the decks when she ship passes the Statue of Liberty? Many of my family members are excited for this. Do we have to run up to the top right as the ship leaves to get a good spot?

2) what about the fireworks? Is there a good spot to watch them while avoiding the crowds?

You can see the Statue of Liberty from anywhere on the starboard (right) side when sailing out. Shouldn't be difficult to find a place. If there's no room on the pool deck, just go to the Waterfront on deck 8.

My personal favorite place to see the fireworks is from the little sundeck area on deck 18. However, anywhere on the port (left) side of the pool deck ought to give you a nice view. If you don't like crowds, avoid Spice H2O (nightclub at the stern).

You can see the Statue of Liberty from anywhere on the starboard (right) side when sailing out. Shouldn't be difficult to find a place. If there's no room on the pool deck, just go to the Waterfront on deck 8.

My personal favorite place to see the fireworks is from the little sundeck area on deck 18. However, anywhere on the port (left) side of the pool deck ought to give you a nice view. If you don't like crowds, avoid Spice H2O (nightclub at the stern).

Thank you! :)

Awesome, thank you so much for both of your suggestions, I really appreciate it!

I just didn't know if it was a mad dash to book shows and such, and wanted to be a little prepared.

The $15 "corkage fee" is a fee to bring wine on board, no matter where you drink it. Your steward will be happy to bring you a corkscrew if you forget yours.

The corkage fee will be charged before you board the ship. You can bring your own corkscrew, but your steward can save you the trouble and get one for you onboard.

Yes, they will confiscate your wine and you'll have to pick up your bag from the "naughty room."

OK, that's confusing. The corkage fee is charged, then they confiscate your wine and you need to go somewhere to pick it up?

OK, that's confusing. The corkage fee is charged, then they confiscate your wine and you need to go somewhere to pick it up?

No. You pay the corkage fee, they put stickers on it and you carry it on board. You would only have to go to the "naughty room" if wine bottles are detected in your luggage.

Hey all, cruising to Bermuda in July on the breakaway. I am getting married in Bermuda so I am cruising with 20 of my friends and family members.

I personally would hit Le Bistro if I could only go to one specialty. Especially because of you just getting married. It can be romantic if you plan it.

1.) I think the drink package is worth it, but I do drink a lot. They are currently running a promotion where you can get the drink package for free. I don't know NCL deadlines, but you may be able to cancel and re-book and get the drink package for free.

2.) The only show that costs extra is the Cirque show. It does include dinner. If you get the dining package, you can go on the first night as part of the package. Otherwise it's like 40 bucks. I didn't think it was worth it, but I don't like Cirque shows. You can book it online before your cruise. All other shows are free, but they do recommend you make reservations ahead of time. I never had an issue getting in the day of the show.

3.) I don't think Vibe is worth it, but I have only cruised in colder months. I think it may be worth it in July.

4.) Cagney's. I love steak, and they make a good one. Teppanyaki is also very good and a lot of fun. I would take everyone to Teppanyaki before doing the Cirque show.

Just returned from the BA on a pre Xmas cruise to fla/Bahamas. I cant speak on #1 because I don't drink. The UDP paid for itself after 4 days. We did Cirque the first night for free (because we bought the UDP package) and did Modernos' (the worse food experience we had), Le Bistro, Teppnyaki's, Cagney's and Ocean Blue (paid the extra $$$..it was worth it). UDP was definitely WORTH IT.

Note : You don't want to do Teppanyaki before Cirque. Cirque includes a 3 course meal (surf and turf) that is actually very good IMHO. And timed just right to coordinate with the show (which was also very good).

I do agree that Teppanyaki was a lot of fun (the chefs do an amazing job of entertaining you while they cook).

Didn't meet anyone who did the Vibe. We were Haven and didn't use the deck for 3 of the 7 days we were on board (because of the cold from/to NYC!).

Passing Lady Liberty (right side) is fantastic....the Manhattan skyline (left side) is breathtaking......but......then passing under the Verrazano Bridge(still don't know how it fits under) is an UNBELIEVABLE experience

Edited by spidybabe

Just returned from the BA on a pre Xmas cruise to fla/Bahamas. I cant speak on #1 because I don't drink. The UDP paid for itself after 4 days. We did Cirque the first night for free (because we bought the UDP package) and did Modernos' (the worse food experience we had), Le Bistro, Teppnyaki's, Cagney's and Ocean Blue (paid the extra $$$..it was worth it). UDP was definitely WORTH IT.

Note : You don't want to do Teppanyaki before Cirque. Cirque includes a 3 course meal (surf and turf) that is actually very good IMHO. And timed just right to coordinate with the show (which was also very good).

I do agree that Teppanyaki was a lot of fun (the chefs do an amazing job of entertaining you while they cook).

Didn't meet anyone who did the Vibe. We were Haven and didn't use the deck for 3 of the 7 days we were on board (because of the cold from/to NYC!).

I ate at Modernos during my cruise the week after thanksgiving. I enjoyed it

A lot. But then again I love Brazillian steak houses.

Hey all, cruising to Bermuda in July on the breakaway. I am getting married in Bermuda so I am cruising with 20 of my friends and family members. I've been on 6 cruises but none on NCL. Everyone is asking me a million questions...so I'm turning to your expertise!

1.) is the drink package really worth it when you are in port for 3 days? Did anyone buy it on a Bermuda cruise and feel they could have done without it?

2.) what shows had an extra cost? I know some cost money and possibly include dinner. Which shows? And where do you purchase tickets? I'm considering buying a show for everyone in my group. Anyone done that?

3.) is Vibe worth the money?

Thanks in advance everyone!!

I have a different opinion than some of the prior responses, so thought I would add my two cents since I sailed on the Breakaway to Bermuda last July (and will likely again this July).

1. I did not do the drink package and I don't regret it. I found some drink menus in other posts and calculated how much I thought I would drink and it definitely would not have been worth it. I don't think that it includes bottled water or special coffees, and I also think they add the 15% service charge on top of it, but I could be wrong on both of those points. Even if those two things weren't true, it still didn't work for me. It depends on how much you plan to drink, as well as your partner, as all people in the room have to have the package. Here is a link to more details on the package, as well as some drink prices.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

2. Only two shows cost money, the cirque dreams (which includes dinner) and the wine lovers show (which includes lunch). All others are free, I believe. I didn't do lunch show. As a prior person described, I had the UDP (which we loved...more on that in a bit), so I went to the show on the first night for free. I think there are two showings each night and the free showing is the first one on the first night. Check the timing as it may interfere with the sail away. I thought the show was very good, but not up to cirque du soliel. If you read the posts, there are very mixed reviews on the meal. I thought it was fine, not spectacular, but not terrible. Some people say its inedible and others loved it. It is a salad, I think with tomato and mozzarella for appetizer, steak and shrimp for dinner, and then a trio of mini desserts. With such a large group, I would definitely make the reservations before you get onto the ship. If you go to ncl.com and log into MyNCL you can reserve shows and dinner reservations, and also have a phone number to get help from a live person (I've always found them helpful).

3. We loved the Vibe. I don't like fighting for a seat and I don't love crowds. I also love to be in the sun, but like to cool down regularly. The vibe is relatively quiet and you get a gorgeous view of the ocean. They come to spray you with mist and bring fruit and sometimes cookies. There are two hot tubs that are kept luke warm and I never found them crowded. There is a shower you can use to cool off and the bathrooms were super clean. We had a cabana and loved the extra privacy. Also, no kids was a plus for us. The disadvantages we felt were that we were a bit away from the "action," it was not super convenient to food (you can order but it costs extra, but it is not inconvenient, just not as close as the regular pool), there is no actual pool, and we didn't use it every day (partly due to being off the ship so much in Bermuda - for some reason, I found we used it more during our week on the Getaway with more traditional port stops). If you want some privacy or if your entire group does it, you might like it. If your entire group doesn't do the vibe and you feel you want to spend time with them, you might not use it as much. If you DO decide to do the vibe, it is extremely competitive. I don't know if you will get to board early due to the wedding (congrats by the way) or if you have a suite, but if not, you need to be one of the first people on the ship to get a cabana or get the vibe. Some vibes don't sell out immediately, but many do. Tons of other posts on this subject.

4. If you don't do the UDP, people seem to love Ocean blue (but I've never eaten there). It isn't included on the UDP. My husbands favorite is Cagneys, which is on the UDP. I love that you can sit outside on the Waterfront at Cagneys, BUT the outdoor area is not large, so I would try to make those arrangements in advance if you plan to do this with the entire group. You will be able to reserve a table (probably not outside) beforehand, and then when you board the ship, go and request it to be outside. A trade-off - I have found the service outside to not be as good as inside, but I will trade service for the view :) I did not like Modernos at all (but we have a fantastic Brazilian place at home so perhaps we are spoiled) and felt the Teppanyaki was good, but no better than what you can get at home, so wouldn't do it again on our own, but would with a group. The French Le Bistro is fantastic re: food and service, but doesn't have a water view. There are tons of mixed reviews on La Cucina. I think I am in the minority of folks who like it. We got the absolute best service there. The food was solid (any Italian can't compare to my Sicilian mother in law's meals) and if you don't get the UDP, it is one of the less expensive options, and there is plenty of outdoor seating.

If you plan to eat at Cagneys and Le Bistro a few times, we loved the UDP. Before we did it, I was adamantly opposed to paying for food on the ship. My husband surprised me with the UDP, and it was great to rarely have to wait for a table, which is a frequent complaint of the main dining rooms. The negative is that we had to book all of our dinner reservations far in advance because the pay restaurants are smaller and popular, so were on more of a schedule than we wanted to be.

For your additional questions:

As for the Statue of Liberty, it was a bit crowded but there is definitely plenty of room for all. I also found that most people were happy to share their space.

I liked watching the fireworks from the party at Spice H20-it was fun watching them in sync to the music and with everyone else.

I totally respect the other posts - I just think it is more about lifestyle and preferences. Hope this helps!

Edited by Juvesgirl