Snorkel gear

We hope to do 2-3 excursions that include snorkeling.

We have 2 kids (8 & 9 yrs). Will we have any problem fitting them with snorkeling gear or should we buy and travel with their own?

Thanks!

Purchase own masks and dry tubes. Contact your local dive shop for correct fit etc., with regard to long term use, as your children grow.

Hire companies do not supply dry tubes, and one size/style masks may not suit. Enjoy

PS

Aso buy "slap heads" to make the masks more easier to put on and more comfortable.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I agree with Port Royal. We did a snorkel excursion in Grand Cayman last month and those of us with our own snorkel & mask were in the water for about 15 minutes before the rest of the group, as they were scampering around to find masks that fit and snorkels they liked. One from our group told us later they observed a few of the passengers trying the snorkels out then putting them back in the stack for someone else to use! :eek: And, as mentioned, the snorkels provided weren't dry tubes. We did, however, use their fins and vests. :p

Thanks! So they should have kid sized fins!

And what's a slap head?

Fins are all on shoe size, so they should have a pair to fit.

A slap head is a neoprene pad that overs the mask straps. It stops the hair of the wearer being entangled in the mask strap. It fits over the mask strap, as a cover, on the back of the head, and makes the putting on and removal very easy. Ideal for all hair lengths, especially those with longer head hair. Cost between $5/20.00

slap strap

http://search.diversdirect.com/search?q=slap+strap

INS-XXFISH.jpg

The Slap Strap

•Design easily adjusts for unbeatable comfort

•Eliminates pulled hair.

•6.5mm neoprene strap has plush backing and no-fray Velcro.

•3/4in webbing to fit all new mask posts

http://www.divers-supply.com/neoprene-mask-strap-colorful-fish.html

if you Google 'slap strap' you will get a wide variety of things ... but in US diving terms, this is what's being referred too

Edited by Capt_BJ

slap strap

http://search.diversdirect.com/search?q=slap+strap

INS-XXFISH.jpg

The Slap Strap

•Eliminates pulled hair.

if you Google 'slap strap' you will get a wide variety of things ... but in US diving terms, this is what's being referred too

Thank you for the assistance :)

I got excellent customer service from Joe diver .com....bought my 8yo a snorkel set that was very good quality.....they sell neoprene strap replacements....do not go over the strap but act as the strap...very comfortable and no hair pulling..I have purchased masks with corrective lenses from them several times....they can help you with choices...your kids can practice in the bath tub....I taught myself in a hot tub...if you have your own gear you can save a lot of money by using private tours or just taking a taxi to a good beach...many,many options in the caribbean....have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

I know lots of people have recommended dive shops and websites, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money (I'm not sure how much dive shops and the like charge for snorkel equipment, so am guessing there), and you're cruising from Florida, stop at Publix. My DH and I bought snorkels and masks from there last year, and they were reasonably priced. My mask is even kid sized, so was like $4.99 (his was $9.99). I want to say the snorkels were around $10, too. We snorkeled three times on our last cruise and plan to snorkel again on our upcoming cruise, and the masks and snorkels held up very nicely.

Just another idea!

I shop at Florida Publix stores every week and none of the ones I've been in sell snorkel gear or any significant 'pool toys'

not sayin' the Publix you went in didn't .... but I don't think it is common . . .

Yeah, I have no idea which Publix we went in (there are so many!), but it was in Fort Lauderdale, maybe within 10 miles of the airport. So, I guess the Publix idea could be hit and miss, but like I said, just an idea if the OP happens to be near one and wants to wait until then to chance it.

• 9 months later...
slap strap

The Slap Strap

•Eliminates pulled hair.

Just wanted to let you know (even a few months later) that someone else found this info useful while surfing around on CC. I was having a difficult time finding these and was able to order 2 of them and have them shipped here to Canada for a reasonable price (even with the exchange rate right now :( )

We will have them in plenty of time for our January cruise. :D

Thanks so much!

Yeah, I have no idea which Publix we went in (there are so many!), but it was in Fort Lauderdale, maybe within 10 miles of the airport. So, I guess the Publix idea could be hit and miss, but like I said, just an idea if the OP happens to be near one and wants to wait until then to chance it.

I'm sure you were at a Publix. Our local Publix (1/2 mile from the beach) has an entire front wall of pool toys, snorkel equipment, water shoes, beach towels, beach cover-ups, etc; the Publix at Harbor Shops in Fort Lauderdale (a favorite stop of cruisers) has a similar inventory.

For the OP (and anyone else reading this thread with a similar concern) - Most drug stores (Walgreens and CVS) in Fort Lauderdale will also carry similar items.

Edited by capriccio

We purchased US Divers Admiral Premium Snorkeling Sets about 2 years ago; after a few beach vacations with LOTS of snorkeling, they are still in great shape. They fit well, easy to travel with and were well worth the money. AND they have only been used by us...huge plus in my book.

For anyone who says the fit will not be perfect, I agree..but the rented equipment is usually worse, and these have worked very well. Youth set might not last as long, but if you get a few years out of it, still worth the money IMHO. Very happy with the purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTUP3IW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Youth-Silicone-Snorkeling/dp/B00JM371Z8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1446929868&sr=1-1&keywords=US+Divers+youth+Snorkeling+Set