Questions about Megans Bay

Hello fellow cruisers !! We are sailing on the Quantum later this month with my daughter, son in law, and two grandchildren ages 2 an 3. We are planning on spending an entire day at the beach on Megans Bay with the little ones. The info RC provides states that you are dropped off at the beach, but there is no return transportation back to the ship. Does anyone know if there is a bus we can take back, or possibly a cab? My daughter also has concerns with car seats if we have to hire a ride back to the ship. Does anyone know what the policy is on this? We just don't want to get into a situation where they won't allow us to ride without car seats. I'm sure someone with little children can answer this question for us. We called RC,,,and I know it's probably hard to believe, but no one could answer our question. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS !!!

I'll assume RC is Royal Carribbean? If so they provide transportation back to the the ship. They have buses that transport you. The bus that brings you to the beach is usually the one that will bring you back. If for some reason you don't want to leave earlier than the return time I did notice you can take a taxi back from the beach.

As for car seats, I don't think they have a strict policy about car seats at the US does.

We went to Megan's Bay a few yrs ago. I think the kids in our group were 4, 5 & 5 at the time. We did not go through RCCL, however. We just jumped in a cab , a small van with others is more like it, at the pier. We did not use car seats and they were not an option. The kids sat on the parents laps. If you want to use them, you should take them with you. Megan's Bay is by far one of the most beautiful beaches! Enjoy!

Oh, there were tons of cabs/shuttles/sm vans waiting to take passengers back. You just had to go up to one and you are on the way.

Hello fellow cruisers !! We are sailing on the Quantum later this month with my daughter, son in law, and two grandchildren ages 2 an 3. We are planning on spending an entire day at the beach on Megans Bay with the little ones. The info RC provides states that you are dropped off at the beach, but there is no return transportation back to the ship. Does anyone know if there is a bus we can take back, or possibly a cab? My daughter also has concerns with car seats if we have to hire a ride back to the ship. Does anyone know what the policy is on this? We just don't want to get into a situation where they won't allow us to ride without car seats. I'm sure someone with little children can answer this question for us. We called RC,,,and I know it's probably hard to believe, but no one could answer our question. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS !!!

Cabs are plentiful at Megan's Bay. It shouldn't be a problem but you can always pre-arrange a pick up time if you aren't comfortable with that.

Another note - when a big ship or multiple ships are in port Megan's Bay can get pretty crowded.

What are you paying RCL for this excursion? Are you docking at Havensight?

For 6 people the safari taxi charge each way should be $8-10/pp. Admission is $4 for adults and children under 13 are free. Children ride in the safari taxis without car seats.

IMO with such small children it's better to do this on your own so you can go when you want and come back when you want. There are always safari taxis available at Magen's Bay and you can always get a taxi at Havensight.

If you feel you must use car seats, then you are going to have to make special arrangements with a private taxi company that offers a minivan taxi.

As for car seats, I don't think they have a strict policy about car seats at the US does.

Umm, Magen's Bay in on the island of St. Thomas, in the United States Virgin Islands and is an American territory.

Edited by A2Mich

Don't bother booking thru the cruise line. Meagan's is not to far and there are plenty of taxi's and taxi vans to return you to port. No car seats are used. Go early as Meagan's gets very crowded. This way you can find a nice spot that provides shade. :)

Umm, Magen's Bay in on the island of St. Thomas, in the United States Virgin Islands and is an American territory.

I believe that car seat requirements are state laws , not national . US Virgin Islands will have their own requirements ( probably none ) from the replies so far .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't bother booking thru the cruise line. Meagan's is not to far and there are plenty of taxi's and taxi vans to return you to port. No car seats are used. Go early as Meagan's gets very crowded. This way you can find a nice spot that provides shade. :)

I agree with this advice. I've probably been there 10-15 times at this point and cabs have always been plentiful. Just be aware that many of them are these weird open-air bus-like things... I'm having a difficult time describing them, but here's a photo:

safari2.jpg

I LOVE these things with the warm tropical air rushing through :D, but some who are more anxious find them to be a bit of an... adventure, shall we say, with the steep hills and sharp turns you encounter coming to and from Magens.

Have a great time, it's a beautiful beach!

I believe that car seat requirements are state laws , not national . US Virgin Islands will have their own requirements ( probably none ) from the replies so far .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You are likely correct as to car seat laws. I was commenting on what I had quoted which implied that the USVI might be a foreign nation.

I agree with this advice. I've probably been there 10-15 times at this point and cabs have always been plentiful. Just be aware that many of them are these weird open-air bus-like things... I'm having a difficult time describing them, but here's a photo:

safari2.jpg

I LOVE these things with the warm tropical air rushing through :D, but some who are more anxious find them to be a bit of an... adventure, shall we say, with the steep hills and sharp turns you encounter coming to and from Magens.

Have a great time, it's a beautiful beach!

Ugh. The last time we were in one of those was in Tortola. Coming down the mountain the thing started smoking brakes! :eek: Needless to say we had to get out and wait for another to come rescue us. They may be fun to some but are not very safe. ;)

Big thanks to everyone for their tips and opinions ! Appreciate it. Does anyone know if the rent umbrellas at the beach?? I hate getting sunburn and if we spend the day there, it's bound to happen.

They have chairs to rent but I don't recall umbrellas. That being said there are some palms so you should be able to find shade.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

They have chairs to rent but I don't recall umbrellas. That being said there are some palms so you should be able to find shade.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Right, there's actually a surprisingly good amount of shade at Magen's Bay, a little further back from the water (beach is quite thin, so you would not end up being too far from the water even in the shade). My parents need shade and love Magen's for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This is why I don't like commenting on threads. When I posted my comment I was thinking of the island she was going to be, just knew from my current experience having just visited there a few months ago and what I had seen.

I am glad someone spoke up about the car seat laws.

This is why I don't like commenting on threads. When I posted my comment I was thinking of the island she was going to be, just knew from my current experience having just visited there a few months ago and what I had seen.

I am glad someone spoke up about the car seat laws.

I was simply responding that the Virgin Islands are a U.S. Territory. Your original statement made it sound as if the USVI were a foreign country. Sorry if you took offense, as it was not intended that way--I was simply correcting what you had stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app