Annual Trip Insurance

I want to get annual trip insurance, but I know I can't get it for trips that I've already booked since I'm past the deadline for those trips. I have insurance for those trips for this year. Can I get annual trip insurance for 2016 so that I can book trips now for next year? How does that work?

Are you looking for primarily medical or cancellation type of coverage? Most annual policies have very limited coverage for cancellation losses (none to ~$2000), limited interruption loss($2-5K) and low medical ($10-$50K), but they will do for all but the worst health issues and do include evacuation coverage at higher rates. I am not sure why you feel it is too late to purchase this insurance to cover currently booked trips, though.

Edited by cherylandtk

Looking for insurance with high evacuation and medical coverage.

I looked at Travel Guard and the site says that the pre-existing condition won't be in effect unless you purchase within a certain time period after the initial trip payment. My mom has stage 4 kidney disease, so we always need to have that covered.

Most annual trip insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions regardless of when the policy is purchased. The few that do (6) either have a clause about chronic conditions and subacute exclusions or limit medical to unexpected recurrence.

I suspect that an annual policy is not suitable for your needs; if you only want emergency medical coverage, without cancellation or interruption coverage for the cost of the trip, then it might be appropriate. But if you are looking to cover both cancellation and medical, including your mother's pre-existing chronic condition, then you are better off purchasing individual policies for each trip.

DW and I have bought an annual travel medical policy for many years (and filed one claim). These policies can be a real bargain when compared to the garbage medical coverage offered by many travel and cruise line insurance policies. In our case we now favor a policy offered through GeoBlue (often bought through HTH) which is an offshoot of the Blues. Total cost per year is less then $350 (that is the total cost for both husband and wife) and includes $250,000 of medical and $500,000 of evacuation. This policy covers the first 70 days of every trip we take throughout the policy year.

We have no interest in trip cancellation policies since we do a lot of traveling and find these policies too expensive. We choose to self-insure the risk of cancellation. DW once calculated that we are ahead more then $150,000 (what we have saved by not buying cancellation policies) on our many trips over lots of years. If we ever have to lose the cost of a cruise (or other trip) we will still be way ahead of the game.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

In addition to the annual medical you might get through Geoblue, you might look at getting the Chase Sapphire and United Explorer cards which have trip cancellation and lost/delayed luggage insurance benefits. Note, they do not have pre-existing exclusions, but at least they provide some benefits for the cost of having a credit card that you might want. I just filed a delayed luggage claim - very easy form, filed on line, no hassles. Rec'd check yesterday, within 3 weeks of filing. Pretty good, given the holidays during that time frame.

Edited by buggins0402

• 2 months later...
DW and I have bought an annual travel medical policy for many years (and filed one claim). These policies can be a real bargain when compared to the garbage medical coverage offered by many travel and cruise line insurance policies. In our case we now favor a policy offered through GeoBlue (often bought through HTH) which is an offshoot of the Blues. Total cost per year is less then $350 (that is the total cost for both husband and wife) and includes $250,000 of medical and $500,000 of evacuation. This policy covers the first 70 days of every trip we take throughout the policy year.

We have no interest in trip cancellation policies since we do a lot of traveling and find these policies too expensive. We choose to self-insure the risk of cancellation. DW once calculated that we are ahead more then $150,000 (what we have saved by not buying cancellation policies) on our many trips over lots of years. If we ever have to lose the cost of a cruise (or other trip) we will still be way ahead of the game.

Hank

Awesome information. Saved for next year. This is less than the two individual policies Ive purchased for upcoming cruises..

Thank you.

Hank

Damn,,,

Interesting

Not available to residents of Washington State.