Beaches in Aruba

Arubalisa

Thanks for all the great info, Arubalisa. But I have another question for you about the beaches. What do you suggest for a quiet beach for a couple? We don't want or need anything but couple chairs, some shade, few drinks and maybe a snack. Quiet and peaceful would be best as well as proximity to port.

Will be there in March on a Friday. Any beaches that meet these criteria?

Thanks,Jane

Eagle Beach. Either that portion of Eagle Beach at MVC or Amsterdam Manor.

The tour buses drop their passengers off at the Amsterdam Manor so for quiet I would head to MVC Eagle Beach. Downside you will have to walk across the street to the resort itself for food and beverage.

Amsterdam Manor has food and beverage right on the beach but it is busy with the comings and goings of the tour buses. Nice beach but NOT quiet when there are cruise ships in town. :(

The tour buses drop their passengers off at the Amsterdam Manor so for quiet I would head to MVC Eagle Beach. Downside you will have to walk across the street to the resort itself for food and beverage.

Amsterdam Manor has food and beverage right on the beach but it is busy with the comings and goings of the tour buses. Nice beach but NOT quiet when there are cruise ships in town. :(

There are many tour buses that also drop cruisers off across from Paradise Beach Villas, which is just before Amsterdam Manor. BIG MISTAKE There are just a few chairs available to rent, which go immediately, and no shade, other than a few trees that people crowd around. There are no bathrooms available and a very small bar across the street that doesn't like to serve anyone but their guests. The reason I'm mentioning this is to recommend to you to know specifically where you want to be dropped off and not leave it up to the bus or taxi driver, if you are looking for a quiet spot. Nothing is really quiet when the cruise ships are in town. There is an enormous difference when the ships are not in port.

I love your little maps for the beaches and cruise terminal very helpful... Do you have one to show where the I Love Aruba sign is? lol thanks

As you exit the port area and onto the main street, turn right towards all the souvenir stores. Walk past them and after the bridge on the other side of the street is the I Love Aruba sign. It is just past the Renaiisance Hotel and inside mall.

Edited by mississauga

Arubalisa I just found this thread and it is quite helpful Thank you!

In December husband and I took a tour with Sonny Binns around the island and went snorkeling at Arashi beach with our one day cruise stop.

I have booked Villa Bougainvilla in Malmock for a week next January and we were not planning to rent a car, can we get by with bus and taxi to get groceries and eat out?

I also have several days at the Holiday Inn with points and even though we won't have the cooking facilities I wasn't sure whether to book the HI first or after the 8 days in VB.

Edited by ISLABONITA

My own personal opinion and mine only...

If I were to rent a villa, ANY villa, I would NOT rent a vehicle until such a time as the government stops marking tourist's rentals with a "V" (for visitor) on rental license plates. If you DO rent a car and leave it outside the villa it tells potential burglars that there are tourists staying in the residence.

Thief's will watch the house until you are out and about one day or out to dinner one evening. When you return it is possible that you will return and have no valuables left. It has happened at numerous villas over the years and will not change until the Aruban government remedies the license plate situation.

I don't believe the villa is directly on the bus route, but may be walkable from where you are staying.

The only advantage I can see for staying at the Holiday Inn at the beginning of the trip would be that you could bring any food stuffs you purchase, along with you to the villa. It would be more difficult to bring the contents of your villa refrigerator back to the Holiday Inn and fit it all in a mini-fridge. And not have any way to cook the food stuffs you have left over.

My own personal opinion and mine only...

If I were to rent a villa, ANY villa, I would NOT rent a vehicle until such a time as the government stops marking tourist's rentals with a "V" (for visitor) on rental license plates. If you DO rent a car and leave it outside the villa it tells potential burglars that there are tourists staying in the residence.

Thief's will watch the house until you are out and about one day or out to dinner one evening. When you return it is possible that you will return and have no valuables left. It has happened at numerous villas over the years and will not change until the Aruban government remedies the license plate situation/QUOTE]

ArubaLisa - while I agree the "V" license plate is Aruba's version of the Scarlett Letter, the one identifier that won't go away is the rental car companies are still going to have some sort of advertising decal on the car. The rental car will continue to stick out like a sore thumb. Personally, once someone has been to the island many times, a rental car is probably not needed if staying in the lo-or hi rise areas. I've seen way too many cars in the same parking space all week.

ArubaLisa - while I agree the "V" license plate is Aruba's version of the Scarlett Letter, the one identifier that won't go away is the rental car companies are still going to have some sort of advertising decal on the car. The rental car will continue to stick out like a sore thumb. Personally, once someone has been to the island many times, a rental car is probably not needed if staying in the lo-or hi rise areas. I've seen way too many cars in the same parking space all week.
Yes, all the more reason to NOT rent a car and instead rely on taxis. I have had more than one person tell me that they like to have "wheels" in order to get out and about at a moment's notice even if there are days when the car does stay in the parking spot. :cool: Great if you have money to burn. ;)

Different strokes for different folks ;), we have been to Aruba over 20 times. Last June we did not rent a car. Over Christmas and New Year's we rented a car for one of the two weeks that we were on the island. Besides using it to get to dinner, we also drive around and see the sights, shop as well as get around to some of the beaches to snorkel from shore. This coming June we may rent a 4 x 4 to get out to Andicuri as well as the Natural Pool OR we might not. ;)

All comes down to personal preference though if staying in a villa, I personally would not advertise that I was a tourist. ;)

thanks.. this place calls itself a villa but it is more a B&B there are 3 studios/rooms she rents out.

The owner says the bus is within 2 minutes walk.

check it out.. http://www.villabougainvilleaaruba.com/#!about/cf5y

Makes sense to go to HI first.. I can even break up the stay 3 nites at beginning and then 2 nites at end.

Edited by ISLABONITA

Yes, all the more reason to NOT rent a car and instead rely on taxis. I have had more than one person tell me that they like to have "wheels" in order to get out and about at a moment's notice even if there are days when the car does stay in the parking spot. :cool: Great if you have money to burn. ;)

Different strokes for different folks ;), we have been to Aruba over 20 times. Last June we did not rent a car. Over Christmas and New Year's we rented a car for one of the two weeks that we were on the island. Besides using it to get to dinner, we also drive around and see the sights, shop as well as get around to some of the beaches to snorkel from shore. This coming June we may rent a 4 x 4 to get out to Andicuri as well as the Natural Pool OR we might not. ;)

Like you, I've been going since 1989. Once every 5-6 years, I'll rent one for 2 or 3 days at the front end of the trip with the primary purpose of taking a trip around the island to see how things have changed over the years in addition to having it to get from airport to timeshare, initial large food shopping and out of the way restaurants where a cab is required. Other than that, I'll happily be a "beached whale" for my 2-3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Arubalisa, thanks for your great post. :)

I am thinking of doing Jolly Pirates in the AM & then of to a nice beach for the rest of the day. I will be there on a Sunday. I sure wish I could remember the only beach I've been to in Aruba because it had the softest, whitest sand I have ever experienced, but it was years ago & I just can't remember. Sooo.... moving forward....

Ideally I would love to find a beach with that same very, very soft white sand. We are planning to be there for about 5 hours so available food would be a good thing. Although I love snorkeling, we will be getting plenty of opportunities during our cruise, so that is not a major concern. I would also like to find a beach with a milder atmosphere, but activities within about a 10-15 min. walk would be fine. We would also love a beach with particularly nice sunsets. Well there you have it, that's my perfect wish list. I would love a recommendation that would come as close as possible to this. Thanks so much. :)

I dont know about the sunsets but we were just at Palm Beach and it was beautiful. Sand was the softest I have ever felt! We rode the bus and got off at the DePalm Pier stop and went to the left when we got to the beach. There were not many people to the left but yet to the other side it was packed! And there is a bar right there that we really never had to wait long at.

Arubalisa, thanks for your great post. :)

I am thinking of doing Jolly Pirates in the AM & then of to a nice beach for the rest of the day. I will be there on a Sunday. I sure wish I could remember the only beach I've been to in Aruba because it had the softest, whitest sand I have ever experienced, but it was years ago & I just can't remember. Sooo.... moving forward....

Ideally I would love to find a beach with that same very, very soft white sand. We are planning to be there for about 5 hours so available food would be a good thing. Although I love snorkeling, we will be getting plenty of opportunities during our cruise, so that is not a major concern. I would also like to find a beach with a milder atmosphere, but activities within about a 10-15 min. walk would be fine. We would also love a beach with particularly nice sunsets. Well there you have it, that's my perfect wish list. I would love a recommendation that would come as close as possible to this. Thanks so much. :)

Jolly Pirates departs from in front of MoomBa which is smack dab in the middle of Palm Beach. Palm Beach offers the same white powdery like sugar white sand that Eagle Beach has. I would maximize your beach time and hang out right there. MoomBa has food and drink for sale and there are many vendors offering a variety of activities all around you. MoomBa also has chaise lounges which you can use as long as you are partaking of their food and beverage. IF they are no chaises available when you get back from JP's, there are other vendors within walking distance who also rent them.

Arubalisa

what do you think of walking to reflections beach from the pier? is it a mica and reasonably priced place to visit the beach and get a bite to eat?

Arubalisa - Walking to Reflextions? I did have someone tell me it was too far to walk with their kids. I think it depends on how much you like to walk.

So walking or by taxi, me and my wife are looking for a nice place, a little quiet would be fine that is reasonably priced, decent food and some chairs for the beach. Reflections sounds like this meets the ticket. Thoughts?

I dont know about the sunsets but we were just at Palm Beach and it was beautiful. Sand was the softest I have ever felt! We rode the bus and got off at the DePalm Pier stop and went to the left when we got to the beach. There were not many people to the left but yet to the other side it was packed! And there is a bar right there that we really never had to wait long at.

Jolly Pirates departs from in front of MoomBa which is smack dab in the middle of Palm Beach. Palm Beach offers the same white powdery like sugar white sand that Eagle Beach has. I would maximize your beach time and hang out right there. MoomBa has food and drink for sale and there are many vendors offering a variety of activities all around you. MoomBa also has chaise lounges which you can use as long as you are partaking of their food and beverage. IF they are no chaises available when you get back from JP's, there are other vendors within walking distance who also rent them.

Very cool, looks like it's Palm beach for us. Thank-you so much. :)

Thanks to Arubalisa and everyone else for the information. We were in Aruba last week, and went to Reflextions/ Nikky Beach.

It was great for what we wanted, a nice beach near the ship, which wasn't too expensive. It was a 10 minute drive and cost $10 (I wouldn't try and walk it, it looked much too far).

The people at Reflextions are really nice, and it was $20 for 2 sunbeds, with cushions, and a sun shade, and that includes use of their pool, restrooms and free wi-fi.

It's not the most beautiful beach, but the water is great to swim in, very safe and not rocky underfoot. The airport is close by, so expect some aircraft noise.

Thanks to Arubalisa and everyone else for the information. We were in Aruba last week, and went to Reflextions/ Nikky Beach.

It was great for what we wanted, a nice beach near the ship, which wasn't too expensive. It was a 10 minute drive and cost $10 (I wouldn't try and walk it, it looked much too far).

The people at Reflextions are really nice, and it was $20 for 2 sunbeds, with cushions, and a sun shade, and that includes use of their pool, restrooms and free wi-fi.

It's not the most beautiful beach, but the water is great to swim in, very safe and not rocky underfoot. The airport is close by, so expect some aircraft noise.

We were there in February and we did walk there. Nice walk. Would have been even better if the chairs and ropes for the weekend Carnival were not there.

We paid $18 for 2 loungers and an umbrella. Think you got the better bargain with the sun beds. It was $6 per lounger and $6 for the umbrella.

We were there in February and we did walk there. Nice walk. Would have been even better if the chairs and ropes for the weekend Carnival were not there.

We paid $18 for 2 loungers and an umbrella. Think you got the better bargain with the sun beds. It was $6 per lounger and $6 for the umbrella.

Well done on walking there, it seemed quite a long drice in the taxi, maybe you found a more direct route :)

It was $18 for 2 loungers and an umbrella, then an extra $1 per bed for a padded cushion to go on the lounger.

• 3 weeks later...

Proximity to clean bathrooms is always a tie breaker for me. Eagle or Palm ? Do the hotels let you use their facilities? Thanks for all the wonderful information that helped us narrow down our choices.

Edited by pcruze

Proximity to clean bathrooms is always a tie breaker for me. Eagle or Palm ? Do the hotels let you use their facilities? Thanks for all the wonderful information that helped us narrow down our choices.

We have stopped at Eagle Beach in the past as it a quieter beach. It is easy to take the public bus, I believe that it is Route 10. The terminal is right across from the cruise port. As I recall the fare is $2.20 (US) each way. The driver will drop you off at Tulips Restaurant right across from the beach. Chairs are available for rent. The restaurant allows you to use the restrooms at no charge. The may not have a Michelin 4 Star rating, but they were clean enough.

Thanks for the helpful and very useful information Arubalisa! Can anyone inform us of the current rate for chair & umbrella rental at Palm beach? Also can you walk from Palm beach to eagle beach?

Most Palm Beach vendors charge $45 for an umbrella and 2 chairs. From the Divi Phoenix at the southern end of Palm Beach to Amsterdam Manor which is first resort at the northern end of Eagle Beach is about 1 mile and no sidewalks.