Alcohol Package

Kosi

It is on the Jan 23.. just realizing there are only 4 port days of a 10 day cruise.. we have more sea days than port.. (not sure what I was thinking when I booked! ) If we added bottled water, and coffee.. it would be worth it then?.. and if we don't have a lot going on the next day I could see us going to say 5 drinks per day.. BUT does RCL have buy one get one free time? We did a lot of that on Princess.. and HAL...and really met our needs..

Edited by Kosi

It is on the Jan 23.. just realizing there are only 4 port days of a 10 day cruise.. we have more sea days than port.. (not sure what I was thinking when I booked! ) If we added bottled water, and coffee.. it would be worth it then?.. and if we don't have a lot going on the next day I could see us going to say 5 drinks per day.. BUT does RCL have buy one get one free time? We did a lot of that on Princess.. and HAL...and really met our needs..

Have not seen buy one, get one free drinks (except for the single C&A coupon for wine/beer/soda) on Royal.

Drink packages are for those that may have a beer or two in early afternoon, a couple of drinks before dinner, a glass or two of wine at dinner then drinks at a show or at one of the many bars in the evening. We have bought the package on our last couple of cruises and came out ahead. At the time the ultimate package wasn't available that included bottled water coffee and fresh juice...we don't normally spend the money on those things we would enjoy them. Being our next cruise is Alaska im just not sure if we are going to buy the package or not. You won't be out laying out in the sun drinking beers by the pool ...lol.

If you want both alcohol and water/coffee you have to get the ultimate package, which is the most expensive at just over $63 per day. It includes fresh squeezed juice, specialty coffee, still and sparkling water, soda, beer, wine and cocktails.

To break even you would need to drink quite a lot of coffee, juice and soda if you are only going to drink 4 alcoholic drinks each.

Say 4 drinks $8 = $32 (beers would be less than $8 but wines may be more so I averaged)

2 juice @ $4 = $8

2 coffee @$4 =$8

5 soda @$3 = $15

Total = $63

So it is possible, and then there is water included also. If you think you will drink like this every day then go for it. Otherwise just pay as you go - there is no requirement to get a package. I have not seem 2 for 1 drinks but I have seen various 20% off specials.

One benefit of the alcohol package that we didn't even realize until after we'd already ordered and consumed our (very) expensive bottle of wine at dinner, is that you get 20% bottles of wine in any of the restaurants. The waiter told us when he brought the check and showed us the 20% off. We saved close to $100 just on that alone.

Edited by Wheeling_family_of_3

I don't want to thread jack, but this is a related question.

DH is considering getting a package on our cruise. Is there a time limit on how frequently he can get a drink like there is with the soda package (on the Freestyle machines anyway)?

DH is considering getting a package on our cruise. Is there a time limit on how frequently he can get a drink like there is with the soda package (on the Freestyle machines anyway)?

No time limit for alcoholic drinks.

I'm glad someone posted this thread, because I'm trying to decide what package I'll get.

I'm definitely getting some package. At least I'll drink enough Coke for me to get the Royal Refreshment.

I'm not getting the Ultimate or Premium package. I'm not getting more than two alcoholic mixed drinks a day.

I don't think I'm getting the Select Package either. The most I'd go there is probably four beers or glasses of wine.

I'm leaning toward the Royal Replenish. Along with my three or four Cokes, I'll probably get three or four non-alcoholic drinks. Love me some Pina Coladas. With or without the rum.

However, if I get Royal Replenish, then tack on a couple of beers or glasses of wine, then Select may be worth it.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm leaning toward the Royal Replenish. Along with my three or four Cokes, I'll probably get three or four non-alcoholic drinks. Love me some Pina Coladas. With or without the rum.

This is exactly why I got replenish for my upcoming cruise :) I will also carry on 2 bottles of wine and should be all good to have that with dinner. It's a family cruise so I think this will be perfect.

In future I'm not ruling out ultimate though!

I say get it, at least the premium package anyways...with the soda package, plus the bottled water, plus 4 drinks a day, plus the fact you only have 4 port days......I have a feeling you may exceed 4 drinks some days...and while on average drinks are $8..some are closer to $10 so it could add up quickly on a nice hot day on the pool deck hanging out with newly made friends...

As long as there are four days left in the cruise you can order the package still. If you really are going to have 4 alcohol beverages per day, the package is a waste of money. If you find that you are having 7 or 8 drinks per day and buying per drink, then at that point you still have the option of opting for the package.

Note: Most people can't "get their moneys worth" everyday and start tailing off as the cruise goes on.

Bottom line - Can you drink 7 or 8 alcoholic drinks everyday for 10 days, whether at sea or in port? If the answer is yes, buy the package. If not don't buy it, or at least do a "wait and see". Gut answer is you will waste a lot of money in your situation!

I will say this about the drink packages that I have heard from others. I get very frustrated when my DW or I get a frozen drink or a beer and the thing gets warm in 2 minutes around the pool and we toss the rest of it and order another.

Now I am working out my own demons and will hopefully someday not care if we waste; but until that day comes, the drink packages help me cope and I can relax more on my vacation.

Cheers all

Our experiments on this subject commence in 12 days. I'd HEARD from a work acquaintance there was a 15 min. space, which seemed to disappear when the bartender received some tips. Again, this is "Hearsay inadmissible in a court of law" but rest assured we'll be checking on things - at least things as they stand on the Independence.

We have to admit we got suckered into upgrading to the Ultimate because of the free bubbly. I don't even think the most stringent of Drink Police on the board will frown upon DW giving me free reign over the bottle they add. The main reasoning here is for her to try whatever seems a good idea free of the "What if I don't like it?" guilt, or the dread of a SeaPass statement too thick to slide under the door.

One benefit of the alcohol package that we didn't even realize until after we'd already ordered and consumed our (very) expensive bottle of wine at dinner, is that you get 20% bottles of wine in any of the restaurants. The waiter told us when he brought the check and showed us the 20% off. We saved close to $100 just on that alone.

That also came into play. First cruise we had the MDR with a couple who got a bottle of wine every night. Now, not that we were expecting anything but it seemed a little... :rolleyes: So we have made it a point at every cruise after to get at least one bottle at dinner to split with our tablemates. Radiance went all wrong-in-the-right-way because everyone at the table all had wine packages and everyone shared. :o

That also came into play. First cruise we had the MDR with a couple who got a bottle of wine every night. Now, not that we were expecting anything but it seemed a little... :rolleyes: So we have made it a point at every cruise after to get at least one bottle at dinner to split with our tablemates. Radiance went all wrong-in-the-right-way because everyone at the table all had wine packages and everyone shared. :o

I have to say, I would not have shared our wine with tablemates, but our table was all family members traveling with us, so it didn't come up.

I may catch some flak over this, but let's give it a shot. Quite simply; how do the "package police" prevent people from sharing 1 package especially on the pool deck and solarium during the day, and also within the inside lounges where you take your drink(s) and sit in a public space or outside at night? Sounds like a lot of work but on a 10 night unless BOTH people are stone cold drunks, you get killed on the port days.

FYI on Explorer last week they were letting people purchase the package for the last day to see if you liked it for future cruises.

As to catching cheaters, it would be hard to spot if you both drank the same things but fairly easily otherwise if they cared to by checking for what was purchased in succession. To be honest I don't think they worry about it too much given the wholesale cost of cheaper alcohol, or alcohol they can buy for cheap at a given port (The Explorer took on various alcohol at multiple ports).

To be honest, the staff usually works with you if one had the package but the other doesn't (they do for me). I don't want to go into a lot of detail, but I got the feeling that when served at the bar or speciality restaurants they could ring you up however they wanted. I gave out about $20 in extra tips based off these "favors". Of course I give small tips with every drink when I have the package (usually 50 cents for all alcoholic drinks) so this probably helped. That $50-$60 in extra tips seemed to pay for itself and then some when it came to my wife's drinks (who didn't have the package). Plus I got better pours from most bars, which I prefer for some mixed drinks.

Edited by JasonV1

FYI on Explorer last week they were letting people purchase the package for the last day to see if you liked it for future cruises.

As to catching cheaters, it would be hard to spot if you both drank the same things but fairly easily otherwise if they cared to by checking for what was purchased in succession. To be honest I don't think they worry about it too much given the wholesale cost of cheaper alcohol, or alcohol they can buy for cheap at a given port (The Explorer took on various alcohol at multiple ports).

To be honest, the staff usually works with you if one had the package but the other doesn't (they do for me). I don't want to go into a lot of detail, but I got the feeling that when served at the bar or speciality restaurants they could ring you up however they wanted. I gave out about $20 in extra tips based off these "favors". Of course I give small tips with every drink when I have the package (usually 50 cents for all alcoholic drinks) so this probably helped. That $50-$60 in extra tips seemed to pay for itself and then some when it came to my wife's drinks (who didn't have the package). Plus I got better pours from most bars, which I prefer for some mixed drinks.

Agreed.

I may catch some flak over this, but let's give it a shot. Quite simply; how do the "package police" prevent people from sharing 1 package especially on the pool deck and solarium during the day, and also within the inside lounges where you take your drink(s) and sit in a public space or outside at night? Sounds like a lot of work but on a 10 night unless BOTH people are stone cold drunks, you get killed on the port days.

Not at all stone cold drunks to make it worth your while.

Some fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast and a couple of bottled water to take with you off the boat. Once you get back on, a couple of beers while relaxing by the pool or at a bar before dinner. Glass of wine with your dinner. Couple of drinks or a nightcap while enjoying some entertainment before heading to bed. Add in some glasses of soda along the way and you are not drunk, but your package price has been exceeded.

Only way it makes sense to NOT get the package is if you know u will never drink more than 2 alcohol drinks per day. 3 drinks could be $30 alone, plus your soda and bottle water....and then being on a limit each day, plus feeling like you need to add a tip for each one when you pay sepertaly......

Would the package be worth it for diamond members -- to be honest I prefer southern comfort or captain morgan which is not a diamond beverage offered even with the drink vouchers. I do drink the vodka because it is free, but it is not my preference. Just looking for some feedback - am not a soda drinker but I could easily drink two/three bottles of water a day.

Would the package be worth it for diamond members -- to be honest I prefer southern comfort or captain morgan which is not a diamond beverage offered even with the drink vouchers. I do drink the vodka because it is free, but it is not my preference. Just looking for some feedback - am not a soda drinker but I could easily drink two/three bottles of water a day.

Depends what you like to drink and when you like to drink it. Remember, the Diamond vouchers are only valid during the cocktail hour. So if you want a frozen drink or two out by the pool during the day, that would not be covered.