Vancouver return - 1st US Port SF - Customs?

We've been having a discussion on our roll call about what happens when we start our cruise in Vancouver, first port is Victoria but the first US port is San Francisco.

We understand that we will need to clear US customs before we can disembark for the day. Does anyone here know what we can expect?

Will everyone need to clear customs before anyone can get off the ship? Does that happen on the ship, or do we all have to go into the terminal? Should we be giving ourselves extra time if we are doing a private excursion/tour to accommodate possible delays?

Particularly interested in what happens now that the new Cruise Terminal at SF is up and running, and how that has impacted this process.

Thanks!

We've been having a discussion on our roll call about what happens when we start our cruise in Vancouver, first port is Victoria but the first US port is San Francisco.

We understand that we will need to clear US customs before we can disembark for the day. Does anyone here know what we can expect?

Will everyone need to clear customs before anyone can get off the ship? Does that happen on the ship, or do we all have to go into the terminal? Should we be giving ourselves extra time if we are doing a private excursion/tour to accommodate possible delays?

Particularly interested in what happens now that the new Cruise Terminal at SF is up and running, and how that has impacted this process.

Thanks!

You'll be checked in Vancouver by the US Immigration. This to make sure that your cleared to enter the US and allowed to board the ship. A passport is also required Then in San Francisco you'll have to pass thru customs. If your in-transit in San Francisco , you don't have clear customs at that point.

On Panama Canal cruises from Vancouver to Florida . You clear

US immigration in Vancouver and then US customs in Florida.

Just to clarify, this is a round trip start and end at Vancouver, BC - San Francisco is a 1 1/2 day stop over and one of the ports of call. (Victoria BC, SF, Santa Barbara, Catalina, LA and then back to Vancouver).

You'll US Immigration in Vancouver . Because you are coming back to Vancouver . You'll then clear Canada Immigration and Customs on your return to Vancouver.

Okay! Appreciate the help folks... seems to be a few varying opinions on this. My gut instinct was that we do in fact do this in Vancouver.

One person had suggested it is different when heading south from Vancouver rather than north to Alaska. Not sure why...but that was what they understood. I thought I would put it out here as well to see what others had experienced.

Much appreciated!

p.s. I think the distinction that the person was making was that because we went to a Canadian port first after Vancouver meant that you had to go through customs once you did get to the first US port, which might well be correct.

Edited by cpcanuck
clarification

Okay! Appreciate the help folks... seems to be a few varying opinions on this. My gut instinct was that we do in fact do this in Vancouver.

One person had suggested it is different when heading south from Vancouver rather than north to Alaska. Not sure why...but that was what they understood. I thought I would put it out here as well to see what others had experienced.

Much appreciated!

p.s. I think the distinction that the person was making was that because we went to a Canadian port first after Vancouver meant that you had to go through customs once you did get to the first US port, which might well be correct.

This brings up one point. We will be sailing to Hawaii FIRST, on Grand, before doing the Coastal, so how might we be situated?

john

Just to clarify, this is a round trip start and end at Vancouver, BC - San Francisco is a 1 1/2 day stop over and one of the ports of call. (Victoria BC, SF, Santa Barbara, Catalina, LA and then back to Vancouver).

Ordinarily if your fist stop was a U.S. port you would do the CBP procedure at Canada Place but as you will be stopping in Victoria first the port for CBP clearance will be your first US port which appears to be San Francisco. As San Fracisco has a new cruise terminal I would expect the CBP procedure will be done ashore but I haven't had that experience as yet.

This brings up one point. We will be sailing to Hawaii FIRST, on Grand, before doing the Coastal, so how might we be situated?

john

If sailing directly from Vancover to Hawaii you will

clear CBP at Canada place. However, as this is not a closed loop cruise you will be making the obligatory stop in Escondito you will have to clear CBP again in San Francisco upon arrival.