Benefits of using a PVP?

bradysmom

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if someone could fill me I on any possible perks of using a PVP. We were assigned one after our first, cruise, but apparently got a dud, because when we tried to contact him to book our second cruise we never heard back from him, so I ended up calling the 800 number to book.

I happened upon a thread which (apparently against forum rules) had contact info for a PVP someone just loved, and I've been thinking about contacting them to switch. But is it really necessary to have one, or beneficial in some way?

Thanks!

This is a long debated but never settle issue here on CC. There are many options for booking your Carnival Cruise. Personal Vacation Planner (PVP), Customer Service Rep(CSR), Travel Agent (TA), on line with Carnival and online thru a third party. I think there are few other options but that's enough to drive anyone batty.

I always suggest that first time cruisers either use a PVP or TA. That way there is someone to explain the different ships, itinerary's, room types and rate codes.

Even though I have cruised enough that I feel comfortable booking my cruises online I still use a PVP. I like having the relationship with some one. My preferred method of contact is email and my PVP knows this. She does not call and pester me but will occasionally email me regarding a sale or promotion.

Additionally when I plan family cruises(you can only do three rooms online) she is a tremendous help with getting rooms next to each other and across from Moms HC room. She has access to which balcony rooms can open the divider. And arranged for a crib when it was needed. It is those little things that make having a PVP a plus.

Since you have the name of someone that others have enjoyed, why not give them a chance. You might never need to extra help of a PVP but who know when you might.

Personally, I like using a PVP, especially if you have a good one. They can help answer important questions and it is just nice to have the contact with someone. I probably could do it online, but I'm more comfortable the other way.

Like you, our first PVP was kind of a dud. Likewise for the "highly referred" travel agent that we tried next. He was beyond clueless. What we've noticed (in our experience) about using travel agents is that if they aren't working exclusively for Carnival (or whatever company we are trying to book a vacation through), then they don't always know how to solve our problems or get us the best deals.

But our second PVP has been fantastic. We've been booking with her for over 8 years now. She has been so great. She doesn't pester us, but keeps us informed of cruises we might be interested in and also lets us know about any special deals or promotions we might qualify for.

She remembers that I prefer to be contacted via email due to my job, and my husband prefers to be contacted via phone.

We enlisted her help in booking multiple times, and some of our cruises have been more complicated in terms of number of rooms needed, multiple families booking (and paying), upgrades, room switches, etc.

At this point we can call her and say "We want to sail around x date. We want to visit x ports. We need x amount of rooms. We have x people sailing. We want to spend around $$." and within a few hours she calls us back with options.

We're referred her to several of our friends and family members, and now she is their PVP too. I'm sure that sending extra business her way helps her out, and is one way of our saying "thank you" to her for all her great work.

If you book through a PVP can you still access your booking and make payments online? or do you have to use the PVP to do that?

You can still access your booking and make payments. You can also submit price reductions on line anytime. With a TA you must go thru the TA.

You can still access your booking and make payments. You can also submit price reductions on line anytime. With a TA you must go thru the TA.

Thanks, I had a PVP for quite a few years, ended up going with a friend who is a TA but, she has become pretty busy and does not like to offer ES price reductions. I know I can do it on my own, but also like the extra benefit of a PVP as long as when you do find that price drop they will call you back :)

I have had the same PVP for about 4 years. She's great.

The advantage is that if we buy under Early Saver and there is a price drop before final payment is due, I don't need to mess with the ES form. I just send her an email (the email w/ my original booking confirmation) and she just adds the price drop and returns it. Last time she turned it around in 3 minutes.

I usually pick out my own cabin and tell her what I want. She is a very fast thinker and points things out to me. She also has probably only called me 1 time in 4 years to tell me about a sale. She doesn't harass me to book and is very good to work with.

It's a good thing b/c I have very little tolerance when it comes to messing up my vacation. I live for vacation.

Like many people here, we usually already have in mind the cruise and the cabin that we want. But they don't always show the cabins that are available, so we always call our PVP to help with the selection. She has been so helpful and we've gotten to be friends.

So we don't expect her to do everything for us....but she's got our backs!!!! :D

I have booked 5 cruises with my PVP. She knows her stuff and always gives good advice.

Like the rest I always investigate and pretty much know what I want, however she has come up with some pretty good alternatives for me in the past. Per her PVP's have access to some prices that are not advertised, when I have checked on the website found this to be true.

I like having a contact person who can handle these things for me and answer any questions that I have.

I wasn't planning on using a PVP as I had already picked out my cruise and knew I wanted to do a GTY room to save some money, but I decided to go ahead and use one anyways mostly because I figured might as well give someone else a commission if it isn't costing me anything. Well about 2 days after I booked, I noticed the VIFP offer. I called my PVP and even though I had booked a non-refundable, non-changable rate, he was able to switch me to a oceanview for slightly less than I paid for the GTY interior. Had I booked on my own or using the 800 number, I'm positive I wouldn't have been able to change. Now I won't book without him simply for piece of mind of having someone going to bat for you rather than some random person every time you call the 800 number.

We used to book through one of those big box stores but they no longer sell Carnival so we switched to PVP and are very happy. A couple of years ago, after the Concordia accident, there were a lot of price drops. I have in one week. For the first four, I called him and he answered each time and took care of it. For the last one, I just sent an email because I felt bad bothering him, he called me about a minute after I sent it saying the price drop went through.

On Cruisecritic, people were complaining about waiting over an hour while calling the general Carnival line. This is an extreme case, but a good example of how a good PVP will make your planning easier.

Indeed -- my PVP even gave me his cell phone so that I could text him. Very happy to have him handy. Texted him about a price change and he called me right back and made the adjustment. Awesome!

- John...

I had a post deleted when I first joined, so let me just say this...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my PVP... Have used her for several years now... I think 9 to be exact... And she always has a answer to any and all of my questions... :)

I wouldnt cruise without her!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a TA for many years but I think maybe I drive her crazy with requests for price changes. Usually she says we don't qualify for one reason or another and I never put 2 and 2 together to realize maybe she did not want to lose some of her commission. I truly hope that is not true. I think for this year's cruise, I will book direct with the cruise line and then transfer to the TA right before final payment for the nice little OBC she offers. Then everyone is happy and I don't feel like I am calling or e-mailing too much.:eek: