Brewers bay and baths?

SugarStar00

I'll be visiting Tortola in March for the first time, we are there from 8-5. From what I've read here, the baths are not to be missed although I really don't understand what they are exactly and what to do there. I also read about Brewers bay being a nice little beach and has decent snorkeling. Any idea if it's possible to do both in the time we are there? We have a full day but seems like the baths might be very far away. Also can anyone recommend a good/easy way to get to each place? (Tour guide, private taxi? Etc..)

Thanks

Hi SugarStar!

Yes the Baths are a formation of boulders on the coast of Virgin Gorda, a neighboring island. YOu would ferry to VG and taxi to the top of the Baths where you'd then walk down a natural path and then walk through the boulders. It is a unique excursion and worth the effort. You can see viseos on YouTube to see if you'd be interersted. It's an easy excursion on your own, walk to the ferry terminal and the ferry is $30pp roundtrip and taxi to the Baths probably $10pp roundtrip.

Brewers Bay is a beautiful little beach with good snorkeling and Nicole's beach bar, can't go wrong there for a more relaxing day! Taxi is $8pp each way.

Hi SugarStar!

Yes the Baths are a formation of boulders on the coast of Virgin Gorda, a neighboring island. YOu would ferry to VG and taxi to the top of the Baths where you'd then walk down a natural path and then walk through the boulders. It is a unique excursion and worth the effort. You can see viseos on YouTube to see if you'd be interersted. It's an easy excursion on your own, walk to the ferry terminal and the ferry is $30pp roundtrip and taxi to the Baths probably $10pp roundtrip.

Brewers Bay is a beautiful little beach with good snorkeling and Nicole's beach bar, can't go wrong there for a more relaxing day! Taxi is $8pp each way.

Thanks! Do you think is possible to do both in our time frame?

You can figure 2+ hours for the roundtrip ferry (30 min each way + any wait time) and 10 - 15 min taxi to the Baths. If you don't spent more than 1.5 - 2 hrs at the Baths you could swing it. Grab a 15 minute taxi to Brewers with lunch there and relax.

Several safari taxis holding 20+ people each will fill up early and deliver lots of folks to Cane Garden Bay, and fewer people to Brewers. Both are $8pp if you go that way, the fare may be more (~$12pp) if you hail a taxi on your own. So if you're going to VG first you'll just need to look for a taxi at the ferry dock or back at the cruise ship dock when you return.

Doing both is a busy day!

As lifesabeach mentioned it is a beautiful scenic drive. I have videos from our last land vacation on Tortola of taxis going around the switchbacks on Windy Hill past the Bananakeet and the looks on folks faces. :p Priceless! :D

Well, you've convinced me to head to the baths on our own so hopefully we can divide the day in half and do both. I'm going to plan for it anyway! Its our last stop on that sailing and I have no idea if we will ever get to Tortola again, so I'm going to try!!!

We haven't taken these but they will either moor off the beach and you have to swim or dingy in (current/undertow can be very strong), or they drop you close to the beach.

The Baths are boulders strewn along the shore and there's a beach on both sides of them.

The typical way to see the Baths is to ferry to Virgin Gorda and taks a short taxi to the Top of the Baths where you then walk down a natural path to the beach and the rocks.

There are 2 excellent beach options on Tortola, both are a 20 - 25 min safari taxi for $8pp each way (more if you take a private taxi).

Cane Garden Bay is a larger bay with several beach bars and water rentals, this will be a very crowded beach on a cruise ship day, no snorkeling.

Brewers Bay is smaller and has one beach bar with chair and snorkel gear rentals and will be less busy.

I'm still confused. :( Once you walk down to the beach, how do you get back to the ferry?

For the Baths you take the ferry ($30pp round trip) from near the cruise dock to the marina at Spanishtown, Virgin Gorda and taxi to the Top of the Baths as mentioned. There is a restaurant and wading pool at the Top. You walk down a natural path to the beach, there’s a small beach shack on the beach selling drinks and snacks. You then walk through the boulders to another beach (Devil’s Bay). From there you can walk back up to the Top of the Baths Restaurant using another path. You will find taxis at the top for your return to the ferry. Or if time permits you can have a driver drop you at the Mineshaft Café for a great burger and panoramic view and their signature drink, the Cave In – “It’s all in the Juice, Mon!”.

oh ok, so you do walk back up the path. I wasn't sure. I definitely want to go to that restaurant! I saw a sattelite image of the baths on another post and I think it made me more confused. Thanks so much for your quick responses you've been very helpful and patient. One more comes to mind...is there snorkeling anywhere at the baths, or should I leave my snorkel stuff on the ship?

Thanks!!

I'm told the snorkeling is pretty good out away from the rocks where the reef is and also going around the rocks separating the Baths from Spring Bay. But I haven't snorkeled there, and I have to add that this was from a very experienced swimmer and snorkeler who stays in the area every year.

If you were going to Brewer's Bay on Tortola that would be a snorkel spot for sure. But for us the Baths is a sightseeing excursion more than a snorkeling day.

Yea, I'd love to get over to brewars after the baths but I feel like I'll be rushing through the baths to do so... Not sure both can be done [emoji17]

I agree, just do the Baths and VG, too much moving around and too little time at each place. I would recommend you enjoy the Baths and then taxi to Mineshaft or even back to Spanishtown for a little lunch and shopping there. You could also ask the driver to show you Savannah Bay before dropping you back at the ferry. The drivers work with you and the fares on both VG and Tortola are very rerasonable.

Enjoy!

I hate to butt in here but I wonder if you would offer me your opinion blue_water? We are going to be in Tortola in early Oct 2015 on NCL Getaway. I will have some OBC to burn so we are considering a ship tour which we normally do not do. There are two options for The Baths. The first sounds like you are describing: ferry over to VG, taxi to the top, walk down, walk up, taxi and ferry back ( in a nutshell) The second option is to take a boat directly to The Baths and this would make it necessary to swim about 50 feet to shore. I am assuming you would do the same to get back. Would we miss too much of the experience and scenery if we did option 2 in your opinion? Thanks so much!

I hate to butt in here but I wonder if you would offer me your opinion blue_water? We are going to be in Tortola in early Oct 2015 on NCL Getaway. I will have some OBC to burn so we are considering a ship tour which we normally do not do. There are two options for The Baths. The first sounds like you are describing: ferry over to VG, taxi to the top, walk down, walk up, taxi and ferry back ( in a nutshell) The second option is to take a boat directly to The Baths and this would make it necessary to swim about 50 feet to shore. I am assuming you would do the same to get back. Would we miss too much of the experience and scenery if we did option 2 in your opinion? Thanks so much!

Not at all, for a ship excursion I think that would be the preferred way to go (boat directly to the Baths). The current swimming in can be strong so depending on the weather just be aware of that.

If going via ferry I'd choose to go on my own vs the ship excursion for just a little more flexibility and no initial queues. But But the boat directly there is a great excursion in my opinion. :)

Not at all, for a ship excursion I think that would be the preferred way to go (boat directly to the Baths). The current swimming in can be strong so depending on the weather just be aware of that.

If going via ferry I'd choose to go on my own vs the ship excursion for just a little more flexibility and no initial queues. But But the boat directly there is a great excursion in my opinion. :)[/quote

Thanks so much! I love seeing your comments on here. They are a tremendous help for all of us!

If going via ferry I'd choose to go on my own vs the ship excursion for just a little more flexibility and no initial queues. But But the boat directly there is a great excursion in my opinion. :)[/quote

Thanks so much! I love seeing your comments on here. They are a tremendous help for all of us!

Thanks, I just love the BVI and I'm sure you'll have a great day whatever option you choose!

And I got a lot of advice here and elsewhere when we first started traveling and am just paying forward. ;)

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...