UBP in cabin for 4

AEckhardt

Another couple is considering joining us on the Dawn to Bermuda late summer. My bf and I are currently booked in a 1bdrm DOS with the Freestyle promo, where we receive all three promo options.

If this couple joins us and we move to a 2brdm, it is my understanding, after reading the T&C that they will receive the UDP and the soda package, but, according to NCL's UBP terms, you are required to have all adults over 21 to have the UBP when booked in the same room.

Can they "upgrade" their soda package?? With 4 adults sailing in one cabin, that offer of a soda package to the additional guests is useless.

We are booked on the Sun for October 2016 in one of the two forward facing balcony staterooms. Two couples who have cruised together many times including once in this same stateroom. The freestyle choice options were available and we took the Ultimate Beverage Package.

The Norwegian call center person (who was great) put my husband and couple #2 husband as passengers 1 and 2 on the sailing. They will have the Unlimited Beverage Package - so one person from each couple "drinks free". Couple #2 wife and I are passengers 4 and 3 and have the Soda Package. We will divide the cost for any shipboard beverage purchases among ourselves when the cruise is over. It was not an option to "upgrade" passengers 3 and 4 to the beverage package from the soda package. We're still really happy with the promo and thrilled to have our stateroom again.

So NCL is not requiring all the adults in the stateroom to have the drink package? That goes against their typical policy..

:D Correct, they are not requiring it in this case. The Freestyle Choice promo specifically states that guests 1 and 2 receive the Ultimate Beverage Package and guests 3 and 4 receive the Soda Package. Actually works out well for us that guests 3 and 4 aren't required to purchase the UBP.

Also, which do you think is better for 4 adults, space wise: the 2bdrm DOS or a 2 Bdrm family suite? The living room areas seem almost the same..

For 2 couples who might want some privacy go for the 2 bedroom. The 2nd bedroom is small but comfortable for 2 people and has a door that closes. My understanding in the DOS the other couple would be sleeping on the couch in the living space.

LOL 4 of us drinking free for 11 days could have been a costly promo :)

I understand it would not be cost effective for NCL! Lol.. They're already losing money on us! I just wish we could somehow benefit from the approximate $120 value of two soda packages that won't do anything for us. I guess the best and most fair way for us to handle this would be for the 2 couples to split the cost of the additional UBPs so we both technically save.

For 2 couples who might want some privacy go for the 2 bedroom. The 2nd bedroom is small but comfortable for 2 people and has a door that closes. My understanding in the DOS the other couple would be sleeping on the couch in the living space.

There are two 1 bedroom and two 2 bedroom DOS on the Dawn, both SA. The site only shows the floor plan for the 1bdrm. The 2 bedroom basically has the same tiny bedroom and bath as the SC category. I don't want to lose the large LR the 1 Bdrm DOS has, but we may have to sacrifice.. I wonder if anybody can compare the size of living room in the 2 Bdrm DOS to that in the SC suite.. Which would give us more shared space?

I understand it would not be cost effective for NCL! Lol.. They're already losing money on us! I just wish we could somehow benefit from the approximate $120 value of two soda packages that won't do anything for us. I guess the best and most fair way for us to handle this would be for the 2 couples to split the cost of the additional UBPs so we both technically save.

We enjoy wine and an occasional cocktail or beer. Martinis too :) We're all platinum so each receive a dinner for 2 with bottle of wine. I'm a stockholder so will receive dinner for 2 at Cagneys and another bottle of wine. We would never spend the $ for the UBP if it were coming out of our pocket. For us it is more cost effective to divide any onboard shipboard drink purchases equally between the two couples when the cruise is over.

There are two 1 bedroom and two 2 bedroom DOS on the Dawn, both SA. The site only shows the floor plan for the 1bdrm. The 2 bedroom basically has the same tiny bedroom and bath as the SC category. I don't want to lose the large LR the 1 Bdrm DOS has, but we may have to sacrifice.. I wonder if anybody can compare the size of living room in the 2 Bdrm DOS to that in the SC suite.. Which would give us more shared space?

Oh! Not sure what the comp in living room space is for the 2 DOS's. On Gem I had regular 2-bedroom suite & we had about 15 people hanging out for an hour.

Edited by khaide612

I've ran all the numbers. We decided if we split any 2bdm, my bf and I would pay 3/5 and they would pay 2/5 as I want the larger bed and bath and each couple would pay for one UBP. The way these numbers come out, I hope they decide on getting their own SJ suite, as it would be $800 more for them, and gives us all a lot more space! That would solve several problems!

I wish there were a few more options for 2 bedrooms. If we find another couple, it sure would be nice to book the Garden Villa!!

I've ran all the numbers. We decided if we split any 2bdm, my bf and I would pay 3/5 and they would pay 2/5 as I want the larger bed and bath and each couple would pay for one UBP. The way these numbers come out, I hope they decide on getting their own SJ suite, as it would be $800 more for them, and gives us all a lot more space! That would solve several problems!

I wish there were a few more options for 2 bedrooms. If we find another couple, it sure would be nice to book the Garden Villa!!

Also don't forget that with the owner's suite you get three free bottle of alcohol so you might not need to pay for two additional UBP.

Also don't forget that with the owner's suite you get three free bottle of alcohol so you might not need to pay for two additional UBP.

We are 4 Bostonians ( 30's and 40's, so not exactly kids ) away from work and children, with no driving... on a floating bar.... Think "Boston St. Patrick's Day" for a whole week in the summer 😑

We are 4 Bostonians ( 30's and 40's, so not exactly kids ) away from work and children, with no driving... on a floating bar.... Think "Boston St. Patrick's Day" for a whole week in the summer 😑

I'd encourage your friends to go for the SJ. The one bedroom DOS is pretty nice and has a huge living room. They'd be right down the hall and then everyone has full privacy and no problems with who gets the UBP.

There are some pics of the living room of the 2 br floating around and even some videos on youtube. There is a pillar off to the one side and it is kind of narrow. Roughly, I'd say the SC and 2 br DOS are probably similar in size.

Here is a pic of the 1 BR DOS on Star.

SAM_1260_zps980e9128.jpg

I'd encourage your friends to go for the SJ. The one bedroom DOS is pretty nice and has a huge living room. They'd be right down the hall and then everyone has full privacy and no problems with who gets the UBP.

There are some pics of the living room of the 2 br floating around and even some videos on youtube. There is a pillar off to the one side and it is kind of narrow. Roughly, I'd say the SC and 2 br DOS are probably similar in size.

Here is a pic of the 1 BR DOS on Star.

SAM_1260_zps980e9128.jpg

I agree 100% Now to just convince them!

:D Correct, they are not requiring it in this case. The Freestyle Choice promo specifically states that guests 1 and 2 receive the Ultimate Beverage Package and guests 3 and 4 receive the Soda Package. Actually works out well for us that guests 3 and 4 aren't required to purchase the UBP.

To avoid a big surprise I would suggest you try to get the PCC to give you in writing that the other two will not be required to purchase the UBP. I don't think a PCC can waive the requirement. If you have it in writing when you board, it might work.

To avoid a big surprise I would suggest you try to get the PCC to give you in writing that the other two will not be required to purchase the UBP. I don't think a PCC can waive the requirement. If you have it in writing when you board, it might work.

The Confirmation Guest Copy we received direct from Norwegian Cruise Line lists all four of our names, male 1, male 2, female 3, female 4. On the upper right hand corner the Promo Codes are shown as CHOB and EASYFARE. It does not state exactly what CHOB is or how it is to be applied.

The terms and conditions brought up on NCL website for the Freestyle Choice Promo are different than the terms and conditions that you can bring up when looking at PURCHASE of the Ultimate Beverage Package. The first says all guests 3 through 8 will receive a Soda package, the second says "Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. "

Freestyle Choice Promo Terms and Conditions

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPagesPopup.html?pageId=wave15terms

Ultimate Beverage Package (purchase) Terms and Conditions

http://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

The Freestyle Choice Promo does not say the first two guests receive UBP free and remaining guests must purchase it.

I don't think we need written confirmation but if so who would we get it from? The person who booked it for us was great but he was just a voice at the end of the phone line when I called NCL.

I agree 100% Now to just convince them!

I should have clarified - that is the living room of the 1 BR DOS. It is only showing about 1/3 of the living room. The Dawn's carpet is darker and has different furniture.

Edited by dexddd

I don't think we need written confirmation but if so who would we get it from? The person who booked it for us was great but he was just a voice at the end of the phone line when I called NCL.
I think you already have written confirmation in the form of the document that lists the code "CHOB", meaning that the terms of the wave promotion will be applied to your booking. Plenty of people have now cruised with this promotion and no one has reported that passengers 3-8 in the cabin were forced to purchase the UBP because passengers 1-2 received it for free.

But it would be useful to hear from people who have used the CHOB promotion and wanted to get the full UBP for passengers 3-8. I hope that NCL is nice enough to offer at least a $6.50/day reduction off the price of the UBP (corresponding to the price of the soda package that these passengers are already getting for free).

I think you already have written confirmation in the form of the document that lists the code "CHOB", meaning that the terms of the wave promotion will be applied to your booking. Plenty of people have now cruised with this promotion and no one has reported that passengers 3-8 in the cabin were forced to purchase the UBP because passengers 1-2 received it for free.

But it would be useful to hear from people who have used the CHOB promotion and wanted to get the full UBP for passengers 3-8. I hope that NCL is nice enough to offer at least a $6.50/day reduction off the price of the UBP (corresponding to the price of the soda package that these passengers are already getting for free).

Yep, your right. But no one has reported that they terms of the UBP (requiring all adults in the cabin must purchase) to be waived either. It's easy to make sure, just ask your PCC to send you in writing that the conditions are waived.

No one has mentioned that the UBP was discounted either because of this package. To avoid surprises, why not get it in writing if it's important.

This is what I was interested in. I'd like to hear from people who have been in this situation.

I should have clarified - that is the living room of the 1 BR DOS. It is only showing about 1/3 of the living room. The Dawn's carpet is darker and has different furniture.

Thank you, and I am aware that the 2bdrm is far smaller, thus my concern. I think they may go with a non-suite and choose the UBP as their promo. They can always enjoy the views from our cabin :)

Not to hijack thread or anything, but i am very confused about UBP. My wife and I are going on the Breakaway 3/29/15 we are taking my step-daughter(19) and her friend(18) we got them their own room. Because they are under 21 for booking purposes i'm in the room with her friend, and my wife and step-daughter are together. Once on-board my wife and i will room together, and my step-daughter and friend will be in their own room. Can we each purchase the UBP, seeing how NCL will see us as each rooming with someone under 21? Will they be understanding if we told them that we switched around, and my wife and I are in same room after we are on-board? thank you, im only asking here cause many of you seem you know this UBP in/out.