Manhattan hotel/no car

cole

We will have family members flying into LaGuardia for a cruise that departs from the Manhattan Port and need suggestions for a hotel near the port. There has been suggestions for people who are driving, but have not read anything about people who will not need parking while cruising. Is the Holiday Inn Express the most convenient to the port (1 1/2 blocks walking)? Another suggestion was the Embassy Suites in Secaucus that provides a shuttle to the port.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cole

In addition to the Holiday Inn Express, there's also a Comfort Inn on West 48th St. Depending on personal taste and budget there are other properties a short walk or taxi ride to the cruise terminal, including Skyline Inn on 10th Ave. and 49th St. on the lower end of the scale, and Ink48 Hotel on 11th Ave. and 48th St. on the upper end of the budget scale. Just a short taxi ride away are numerous other hotels.

There's no need to go into NJ to Secaucus or elsewhere...it would just end up being an unnecessarily long trip with a substantial car service fare from the airport to the hotel.

Edited by njhorseman

In addition to the Holiday Inn Express, there's also a Comfort Inn on West 48th St. Depending on personal taste and budget there are other properties a short walk or taxi ride to the cruise terminal, including Skyline Inn on 10th Ave. and 49th St. on the lower end of the scale, and Ink48 Hotel on 11th Ave. and 48th St. on the upper end of the budget scale. Just a short taxi ride away are numerous other hotels.

There's no need to go into NJ to Secaucus or elsewhere...it would just end up being an unnecessarily long trip with a substantial car service fare from the airport to the hotel.

Thank you for your help. Not knowing a thing about the area, it looks like if I search "48th and 49th Street" would be where I need to look to see all of the options.

Cole

What date do your family members need a hotel? How many people? What is their budget? What time does their flight arrive? IMO there is no reason to limit themselves to hotels close to the pier unless they want to walk there with their luggage. As long as they are in midtown it will be an inexpensive cab ride to the port and they could be in a much more interesting area than the superwest 40's near 11th ave.

You don't necessarily need to be near the pier. A taxi in the morning from a lot of better places to stay won't break the bank & may give you a more enjoyable stay.

Check out sites like betterbidding.com to learn about the various areas of NYC. Then surf around Priceline & Hotwire.

NYC hotels are very expensive.

The last thing most people need in Manhattan is a car.

You don't necessarily need to be near the pier. A taxi in the morning from a lot of better places to stay won't break the bank & may give you a more enjoyable stay.

Check out sites like betterbidding.com to learn about the various areas of NYC. Then surf around Priceline & Hotwire.

NYC hotels are very expensive.

The last thing most people need in Manhattan is a car.

I totally agree. When I checked hotel prices at LGA the cost was 1/2 what a hotel near the port would cost. If a person is going to have to book a cab or shuttle from the airport to the port anyway, we might as well stay near the airport upon arrival and travel to the port the next morning. If someone wants to venture into the city the afternoon they arrive, they always have that option. Sometimes it just take a little bit of research (and help from other CC members) to come up with the best answer. Thanks to everyone for your input. :D

Cole

Hotels may be cheaper at LGA, but you have to be picky. What hotels exactly are you looking at and what is the price including tax?

Also what is the exact date you are looking at? Sometimes there are really good rates on Hotwire or Priceline. Any 3* or up hotel on Hotwire with a high approval rating in one of the midtown areas is going to just fine. If your family has any interest in Manhattan, they are going to be much happier in Manhattan than trying to figure out how to get there from a LGA hotel.

I understand about budget travel ( I am staying in dowtown Newark next week before a cruise). However if doing stuff in NYC were on my list, I probably would be staying in NYC.

Thank you for your help. Not knowing a thing about the area, it looks like if I search "48th and 49th Street" would be where I need to look to see all of the options.

Cole

Very Important. You need WEST 48th if you want to be close to pier. Another option would be Midtown West. That would give you more choices but the radius would be larger meaning a few block cab ride

Hotels may be cheaper at LGA, but you have to be picky. What hotels exactly are you looking at and what is the price including tax?

Also what is the exact date you are looking at? Sometimes there are really good rates on Hotwire or Priceline. Any 3* or up hotel on Hotwire with a high approval rating in one of the midtown areas is going to just fine. If your family has any interest in Manhattan, they are going to be much happier in Manhattan than trying to figure out how to get there from a LGA hotel.

I understand about budget travel ( I am staying in dowtown Newark next week before a cruise). However if doing stuff in NYC were on my list, I probably would be staying in NYC.

Not interested in doing anything in NYC. Been there, done that. Will probably book Marriott. We have never been disappointed at a Marriott facility.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cole

Want to visit the Sept.11th memorial. Is it best to stay close by? Haven't been to NYC in almost 46 years and will be flying in a day ahead of departure. Senior citizens so walking to the pier while pulling luggage not an option. Did that a few years ago in San Juan but we were just about across the street from the pier.

It looks like you need a hotel room for Sep 5, which is right in the middle of Labor Day weekend. That is good news. Downtown Manhattan should have some excellent hotel prices because it is dead dead dead in the middle of a holiday weekend.

I'm seeing the Holiday Inn on Nassau Street cancelable for about $151 tax included - that's a great deal. It's even less if you prepay. There are plenty of other hotels in the area at higher prices to choose from.