South Pacific internet

grandmacruise

I'm sailing from Tahiti to Sydney, Australia. I know the ship's Internet is slow but are there time when you completely lose the signal? If so, how often, what location is it down? I want to keep in touch with home and I'm not sure how much internet time to purchase. I don't what to buy too much if I won't have access. Thanks!

I'm sailing from Tahiti to Sydney, Australia. I know the ship's Internet is slow but are there time when you completely lose the signal? If so, how often, what location is it down? I want to keep in touch with home and I'm not sure how much internet time to purchase. I don't what to buy too much if I won't have access. Thanks!

I've done that route more than once and don't recall any internet problems.

Between Easter Island and Tahiti I believe we had 5 days with no internet. Between Tahiti and Sydney there were times that it was painfully slow, but if you went on in the wee small hours it wasn't too bad. The problem in part of the Pacific is that there are satellites for navigation, but not for internet. During those times we also didn't get any TV programming other than the movies and show the ship provided.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Carnival 24 cruise days

Princess 79 cruise days, plus 142 cruise days scheduled

Norwegian 7 cruise days scheduled

Celebrity 15 cruise days scheduled

Internet is available virtually world wide. It is a little dicey in the polar regions however. For the 2015 World Cruise it should be available throughout the cruise IF Princess purchased the bandwidth required. If they haven't, there will be "Technical Difficulties" :D with the service. They use a lot of the bandwidth for ship business things. It depends how they set up the allocations.

Cheers,

BigJuan

We've lost it a few times while at sea, on different cruises as well.

The primary culprit was the ship's direction of travel with respect to the satellite. Seems that on some ships, the satellite antenna is blocked by parts of the ship's superstructure at some specific angles. If the ship is sailing such that that part of the superstructure comes in between the antenna and the satellite, you're out of luck.

It's typically a temporary condition. I've even seen the ship alter course a couple of degrees and zig-zag so they could get the Internet.

After all, the ship itself uses the Internet to conduct business with HQ in Santa Clarita so they won't leave it down too long if the blockage is the problem.

We were on the October 18 Los Angeles-Hawaii-Samoa-Tahiti -Los Angeles 28 day cruise. We had Internet between LA and Hawaii but for the rest of the trip internet was marginal to non existent. People were wasting their minutes trying to get on and nothing was happening.

We have also had no problem in that part of the world, but remember internet access is not guaranteed.

Even if a satellite is within rage, there is always the possibility of hardware failing on the ship.

We were on one Princess cruise where a critical part failed which caused Internet and phone service to shore to fail. It was several days before the ship reached a port where the needed part had been delivered and another day for the installation. And then Internet access was slower than slow as everybody tried to make up for the lost Internet access at the same time.