Ice Cream Bar on Emerald Princess

jt58203

While researching this online, some places it is mentioned that the ice cream bar located next to the pizza place is free, while other places online it says the pizza is free but the ice cream extra. So, which is it?

I'm guessing free ice cream is available as a dessert option in the MDR. Anywhere else on the ship? Years ago on my first Princess cruise, going for ice cream was somewhat of a secret. I can't remember time or location but it was like between 3 & 4 at such and such location. I don't even think it was advertised in the Princess Patter. I heard about it here on CC!

Edited by jt58203
Grammar. Maybe it has something to do with being blonde!

Ice cream is free anywhere on the ship and has been for years. Including the soft serve ice cream near the pool. The only ice cream for which there's an extra charge is gelato which is available on a few ships in the International Cafe.

Pizza is also free except for a $3 room service delivery charge. That includes the pizza near the pool and Alfredo's if your ship has one.

Edited by Pam in CA

Soft ice cream and sugar free ice cream is free at the pizza & ice cream bar on the Lido deck, open from 11am until 11pm. Special shakes sundaes and floats have a charge. Free hard ice cream is available in the MDR's, and I have seen it on some days in the buffet at lunch and dinner.

While researching this online, some places it is mentioned that the ice cream bar located next to the pizza place is free, while other places online it says the pizza is free but the ice cream extra. So, which is it?

I'm guessing free ice cream is available as a dessert option in the MDR. Anywhere else on the ship? Years ago on my first Princess cruise, going for ice cream was somewhat of a secret. I can't remember time or location but it was like between 3 & 4 at such and such location. I don't even think it was advertised in the Princess Patter. I heard about it here on CC!

If you get the soft serve on lido deck it is free. As other have explained you will have to pay for some other ice cream items. Did not pay for it in MDR ordered a desert one night. We did drink plus card. Soft Drinks, Mock Cocktails and Malts are included all you can drink. Was 58 per person all seven days. We got moneys worth. Link is to video of our seven day Western Caribbean Cruise on Emerald Dec 7, 2014. Had great time. Be sure and go to Crown Grill on empty stomach. Worth the 25 per person extra charge.

I don't think they offer sundaes at the gelato bar OR at the ice cream bar. At the ice cream bar, they would put sprinkles on the soft serve ice cream, but that's about it. At the gelato bar, I only saw individual scoops.

The ice cream on deck 15 is free, and there are several available on the desert menu in the MDR every night. Gelato is on deck 5 in the international cafe and is $1.50 for 3 scoops.

I never saw any sundaes, but didn't ask and wasn't looking for them.

I had gelato from the IC, and ice cream in the MDR, but never went to the ice cream bar.

I find the above posts to be confusing.

On the Crown, Emerald and Ruby there is gelato available at the International Cafe. The cost is $1.50 for three scoops and there are no toppings.

On the Royal and the Regal there is a separate venue called Gelato. The cost $2.75 for three scoops and toppings are included.

No other ships have gelato.

Most ships including the Emerald also have an ice cream bar on Lido deck. On the Crown, Emerald and Ruby it is adjacent to the Pizza and is called the Ice Cream bar. On other ships it is separate and called Ice Cream Bar, Swirls, Scoops or Sundaes. The offerings are free vanilla, chocolate or swirl soft serve cones with sprinkles and sugar free ice cream. There are also vanilla, chocolate and strawberry milkshakes for $2.75.

Another free option is the dining room at lunch and dinner. There is vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, two additional rotating ice cream flavors and a rotating sorbet flavor. You can get two scoops with chocolate, caramel, butterscotch and strawberry toppings and whipped cream and nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It has to be darn good ice-cream to be willing to waste carbs and "room in the tum-tum" for ice-cream during a cruise. I can eat Blue Bell any day of the week? Does it get any better than Blue Bell? :D Think I'll save room for the more exotic (to me) desserts.

I will be on the Diamond Princess in May/June in Asia. I know that ship eliminated their Int'l Café to add a sushi bar. Does anyone know what the ice cream situation is on that ship now? I'm not a fan of soft-serve at all but prefer gelato, hard ice cream and shakes/malts.

I will be on the Diamond Princess in May/June in Asia. I know that ship eliminated their Int'l Café to add a sushi bar. Does anyone know what the ice cream situation is on that ship now? I'm not a fan of soft-serve at all but prefer gelato, hard ice cream and shakes/malts.
The Diamond Princess didn't eliminate it's IC, it never had one. Kai Sushi was added on Promenade deck where the Internet Cafe had been located. Can't tell you if shakes are still available Swirls on Lido deck and if the various flavors of ice cream are available for dessert at lunch and dinner in the DR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So what's the Volcano? I'd love to be the envy of everyone at my table ;)

I did a little forum search and found:

LOVE BOAT VOLCANO

A mountain of ice cream erupting with heaps of hot fudge, sliced banana and whipped cream with a bright red cherry on top

I wonder why the price is higher for gelato on regal and royal. Is it a larger serving? I thought on the ruby the 3 scoops for a buck fifty was very reasonable. And each scoop was generous size. I thought it would be a measly portion but it wasnt. It was filling.

I am going on the Regal in April and found swirls on the lido deck on the deck plan. Will have to try it.

So what's the Volcano? I'd love to be the envy of everyone at my table ;)

It's about a quart of trash ice cream, suitable for shoveling

into some overweight 10 year old.

I would be more incredulous, than envious of someone ordering it.

Nearly as bad as the corn-flake-train french toast.

Edited by pablo222

I wonder why the price is higher for gelato on regal and royal. Is it a larger serving? I thought on the ruby the 3 scoops for a buck fifty was very reasonable. And each scoop was generous size. I thought it would be a measly portion but it wasnt. It was filling.

I am going on the Regal in April and found swirls on the lido deck on the deck plan. Will have to try it.

Same serving size but choice of toppings is included on the Royal and Regal. There are also a choice of sundaes on the menu, all for $2.75 or one punch on a coffee card.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Of course you can always abstain from eating any ice cream on the ship for your entire vacation or order the fruit plate for dessert if you are concerned about the quality of the ice cream or are counting calories on your cruise.

If you like ice cream, I still recommend you at least try the train wreck of the Volcano(basically a full blown banana split) to do your own quality control research, and then see how many people order it the next night. :)

Tip: You can also request which flavors of ice cream too you want in it too(like only chocolate) if they offer several flavors that night.

Edited by Cruisencatlady

I am a soft-serve lover and was excited about the "ice cream bar" on Emerald. I had it twice and both times took a couple of bites and threw it out. I love true soft serve ice cream, frozen yogurt, and even the cheap stuff at fast food restaurants...but I hated this :(

The gelato at the counter and the ice cream in the restaurants were all very good.

Everyone is different and there were plenty of people eating the soft serve on deck. But, don't get your hopes up like I did until you try it.

Of course you can always abstain from eating any ice cream on the ship for your entire vacation or order the fruit plate for dessert if you are concerned about the quality of the ice cream or are counting calories on your cruise.

If you like ice cream, I still recommend you at least try the train wreck of the Volcano(basically a full blown banana split) to do your own quality control research, and then see how many people order it the next night. :)

Tip: You can also request which flavors of ice cream too you want in it too(like only chocolate) if they offer several flavors that night.

Definitely ask for the special ice cream flavors of the day--the ice cream you get from the MDR is made on board and is quite good. Our last two cruises were on HAL and we really missed the quality desserts and ice cream (and pizza) that we get on Princess.