Likelihood of upgrade

mrobstad

If your willing to pay for it, almost 100%. If your talking about a free upgrade, unless you're in a guaranty, chances are pretty slim. Very few "free" upgrades anymore except those that come through booking a guarantee cabin.

To add to the "except" part: Also if you have booked a cabin that usually sells fast even closer to the departure, like for example an aft balcony - people booking those have reported more often about having been offered upgrades/upsells to higher categories that have not sold as good.

What's my chances of snagging an upgrade 30 days out .....as a solo traveler?

I don't think the fact that you are solo will have any bearing on this. The more critical factors, in my opinion, are the willingness to spend more money and timing. Look for the lowest prices on whatever cabins are left during the third week before departure. But, naturally, YMMV. :-)

When you do pay for an upgrade do you still keep any promotions you originally booked? I'm currently booked with the free UDP and was curious if I upgrade myself to a better cabin closer to sailing if I would lose the beverage package.

I'm 47 days out on the Getaway in a studio. Checked yesterday and the prices are much lower then what I paid!!! Called my TA today got a FREE upgrade to a inside cabin!! I had a studio on the Epic and loved it but happy for the upgrade to a larger room and real bathroom!! lol

If u get an upgrade, and the rooms come with the $300 OBC, UDP or the drink package, do you get that, too? Slightly different from the other poster who asked if u kept the perks....I'm talking about new perks that come with an upgraded room!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I booked a Two Bedroom Family Villa on the Epic. A few weeks before the sail date I noticed a $700 price drop. I called NCL and our CC gave us a $600 cruise credit for passenger one and passenger two to use for a future cruise. Has to be used within one year. Three days before sailing our CC calls and offers a free upgrade to the DOS. There are four of us and we really like the idea of two bedrooms and two bathrooms. I actually cried a little when I turned down the upgrade lol. It's rare, but free upgrades and cruise credits do happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have an aft balcony on the Getaway for our April cruise.

NCL called yesterday to offer me an upgrade to a Spa balcony, and also include the free dining or beverage package for $180.

I thought about it, took a quick look at the size of the spa balcony itself and quickly turned them down. I did tell them if they ever have an aft penthouse for the same offer, to call me back! :D

I am sailing on the Epic in march and was in a hull balcony on deck 8. I called NCL with the intention of paying a the difference in fare to move up to a large balcony cabin on deck 12. I even told the woman I spoke with that I was willing to pay the difference in fare, but she put me on hold to get a supervisor to upgrade my room for no extra charge. It was only a $50 per person upgrade, but it still made my day. I emailed customer service to let them know how wonderful the two employees that assisted me were.

There is another exception and that is if the price drops after final payment date. On our recent TA cruise I booked about 7 months out and for a relatively high fare which I was fine with (inside). After final payment date the prices started to drop. Each time the website price for the next higher category dropped below what I had paid, I contacted our PCC. First jump cost $40 to go to port hole. Next to a balcony was no extra and then on to a mini-suite for no extra cost. Don't know if this was an exception or not, just that it worked for us and we definitely enjoyed that mini-suite.

I've had the same experience as Raleigh traveler. My advice is to get a Personal Cruise Consultant and try to book all cruises thru that one person. I don think I've been able to do that with RCCL, but I've had great luck with two NCL PPCs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app