Mediterranean Jewels

Sunprince

Hi all, I 'm new to Seabourn, having previously cruised with Regent. I have my eye on two different cruises, one on Regent for 10 days (july2) and the other on Seabourn Sojourn (July 8 Mediterranean Jewels). Itineraries are similar with Regent being slightly better. Im looking for any insight into the Seabourn itinerary. This cruise iseems to be selling slowly and I see the price was further reduced twice in the last month. Is there any issue/ concern with this cruise that anyone is aware of that is preventing bookings? Such as an incentive group being booked on this cruise? (don't want that). Price wise Seabourn is considerably less expensive. However Regent is now offering $499 business class upgrade, but their fares are over $9000US$. I estimate I can book my own business class air and still be several thousands less on Seabourn. So I'm really just looking for any advice or insight regarding the Seabourn July 8 itinerary...will I regret booking this cruise if there is some unknown reason driving the lower pricing?

Sorry for the long rambling post and many thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, thanks. I am aware that Seabourn doesn't include excursions. For the Med I don't really want included excursions. Regent does include both air and excursions, but once you back those out of the Regent fare, it is still substantially more expensive.

Problems on my last Regent cruise:

- food good to moldy

- Due to inept management getting on/off the ship was a mob scene

- Security that made the TSA seem super happy/friendly

- While the Compass Rose was open for lunch every day it seems even the short tours arrived after it had ended service

- most of the 'free' tours were get on the bus and do a lap of town

- extra cost tours didn't get a discount for the included tour payment

- a Dinner at a chateau tour in Bourdeaux didnt mention youd never enter the Chateau - instead you ate in the barn next to the John Deere

- it seems a port or two was missed that a Seabourn or Crystal or Radisson captain would have made (due to Regents policy of their Captains aren't really Captains anymore the HD has the final say on things like speed increases)

- 200% single supplement yet only a partial % of OBC or partial % of airfare/hotel credit

- Non world cruisers were second class citizens

- waiting 45 minutes for an English muffin in compass rose only for it to arrive so lightly toasted it was room temperature

I loved the line under Radisson. Today however I'd recommend Seabourn.

The itinerary and timing are probably the reasons the cruise you are looking at might not seem popular.

Timing wise, this is the European holiday season. Everything will be crowded, so those who have flexibility in when they cruise will probably try to avoid this period, particularly for short cruises when the chances of a number of children being on board increase.

Itinerary wise, it seems to me that the ports are not great. Civitavecchia means you are having to travel some distance to get to and from the port. Its a port with not a lot else going for it as a tourist destination. It's not one I would choose to have at both ends of the cruise. 2 nights in Barcelona is ok - if you haven't been there before. The other ports (except La Joilette) are resort / boating destinations which will be crowded.

On the other hand, have you been to the French and Italian Rivieras? If not, this is a great opportunity to travel from Civitavecchia to Monte Carlo at an extraordinarily good price. If you plan to add more days at either end you will have the chance to visit Rome and the Monte Carlo-Nice areas. A couple of nights in Barcelona will be very nice if you have not seen it before.

The cruise will have its usual outstanding service and features. It will be a really good choice to travel first class at (almost) bargain prices.

You might also want to check the Mediterranean Isles cruise that precedes and follows the Jewels. It is 11 days and proportionally more expensive than the Jewels.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Re timing, its unfortunate but work schedules restrict us to the busier peak times. In my experience, July in the Med is much better than August when it seems all the Europeans are vacationing. We have not been to Barcelona, so don't mind the overnight there. I agree that the port outside of Rome is inconvenient, but we will probably plan to arrive/stay a few days on Rome at each end of the cruise so not a huge deal. First time booking Seabourn, so I'm a bit apprehensive but I'm sure it will be great. Also, was hoping for some additional insight on why this cruise is selling slowly, but by the offers I've been receiving lately from all the luxury cruise lines it seems that this is time time of the year they Re scrambling to fill their ships. Happy to take advantage of the lower pricing and try out Seabourn!

BTW, Emperor N - I am aware from your previous posts that you are not a big Regent fan! Thanks for sharing your experience. But with Regents high pricing vs Seabourn they have done themselves no favours in trying to attract my business :)

Thanks all for your thoughts. Re timing, its unfortunate but work schedules restrict us to the busier peak times. In my experience, July in the Med is much better than August when it seems all the Europeans are vacationing. We have not been to Barcelona, so don't mind the overnight there. I agree that the port outside of Rome is inconvenient, but we will probably plan to arrive/stay a few days on Rome at each end of the cruise so not a huge deal. First time booking Seabourn, so I'm a bit apprehensive but I'm sure it will be great. Also, was hoping for some additional insight on why this cruise is selling slowly, but by the offers I've been receiving lately from all the luxury cruise lines it seems that this is time time of the year they Re scrambling to fill their ships. Happy to take advantage of the lower pricing and try out Seabourn!

BTW, Emperor N - I am aware from your previous posts that you are not a big Regent fan! Thanks for sharing your experience. But with Regents high pricing vs Seabourn they have done themselves no favours in trying to attract my business :)

Barcelona is very 'walkable'. There is generally a shuttle from the ship into Placa Cataluna. From there you can walk down the Ramblas with a stop at the Boqueria market on the right and then cut into the old town on the left.

You can also walk up the Paseo de Gracia (some nice Gaudi there) towards the Diagonale. Turn right to go towards Sagrada Familia.

Just be 'street smart' with your belongings.

Sunprince - Personally I would prefer to cruise Rome to Rome with Barcelona in the middle - since you have not been to Barcelona before. The ships now either dock right by the sea end of the city at the World Trade Centre, or shuttle you in to that area from an outer dock. Once there there is a Hoho bus with 2 routes, so if you have 2 days you can see a great deal, including the Sagrada Familia and other Gaudi buildings. People mostly love Barcelona, but a few hate it. You do have to be careful and look out for pickpockets in the centre (never heard of people being injured). Your other ports include some small gems, where you would probably not want to do an excursion anyway. July will be rather hot and crowded, but less so than August as you say.

If you had Rome in the middle of a cruise you would obviously have a fairly long trip to get there from the port, but if you wish to see the city a couple of days before or after would be a good idea. We have never found the journey from the airport to the ship a big problem - usually well under an hour, but have not done it from town which is probably longer. Hope you will try Seabourn, most who do love it.