Sailing without a passport question

SugarTwist

Has anyone did it? My bonus son mom won't send the papers to get his passport. Has anyone ever sailed with just their passport and been okay?

On our last cruise in February I sailed without a passport and just my birth certificate, social security card and DL.

It was a huge risk, because if I would have missed the ship for whatever reason I would have a heck of a situation to deal with.

I still don't have a passport and am debating getting one for our upcoming cruise in November. I'm one of those people who makes sure to get back to the ship on time no matter what...I would have to be dead or almost dead to miss that ship.

But like I said, I'm on the fence in getting one...I may or may not this time.

Thanks I just called the cruise line and they said that he could cruise with his birth certificate and a photo I.D. issued by the state or school identification card.

I think that's the route we will take so he won't miss out on something special with us.

Thanks

Thanks I just called the cruise line and they said that he could cruise with his birth certificate and a photo I.D. issued by the state or school identification card.

I think that's the route we will take so he won't miss out on something special with us.

Thanks

Great to hear! Have a wonderful cruise (:

Make sure to check Carnival's website and bring letters signed by both parents (if not sailing with you) and notarized (I think) stating that you have permission to take him out of the country. You may not need the letters but Mexico is notorious for asking for them. Without the letter you won't be able to leave the ship. Have fun!

My upcoming cruise will be my first of 5 that I've had a passport for. The only reason I even did it this time is because it's a repositioning & I read on the CBP site that I'd be required to have it due to not being closed loop. My boyfriend traveled with me in July also passport free.

ICE, it's not ideal, but you certainly can do it.

My daughter has done numerous cruises (western, eastern, and southern carib) with birth certificate and DL only. Never an issue. The last cruise in Oct she couldn't find her BC but I had a photo copy which worked fine. Have a great cruise.

ummmmm.....what's a bonus son??

My bonus son is my son's best friend. He spends enough time at my house that he might as well be another one of my kids. I don't know what the situation is with the OP but that's would be my version of a bonus son.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Has anyone done it? My bonus son's mom won't send the papers to get his passport. Has anyone ever sailed with just their passport and been okay?

Do you mean just their BC? Yes.

People sometimes make it sound that if you miss your ship you can't get back into the US. That's even less true the past couple of years than ever, but no one keeps any US citizen from being repatriated should that happen.

You will have a problem if you miss the ship and intend on catching up with it at another port. Then your simply out of luck and must return home.

Make sure to check Carnival's website and bring letters signed by both parents (if not sailing with you) and notarized (I think) stating that you have permission to take him out of the country. You may not need the letters but Mexico is notorious for asking for them. Without the letter you won't be able to leave the ship. Have fun!

Not true...Mexico does not check the ID or papers of anyone leaving the ship or returning to the ship...

If you fly into Mexico and have to go through Mexican customs then the story is a bit different.

So, a birth certificate and photo Id is all you need. With all the "different" types of family dynamics traveling the only thing you may need is a power of attorney for medical purposes if the child is not related to you.

Thanks

If he is under 18 make sure you have a notorized letter from his mother giving your permission to take him along.

You might already know this but I would hate for you to get all the way there and he can't go.

Happy Sailing!!!

Edited by VacaLovers2

Has anyone done it? My bonus son's mom won't send the papers to get his passport. Has anyone ever sailed with just their passport and been okay?

We assume he's a step son. You say his Mom won't send papers for a passport. If you have the correct birth certificate in your hands, why can't Dad apply for a passport?

We assume he's a step son. You say his Mom won't send papers for a passport for a minor. If you have the correct birth certificate in your hands, why can't Dad apply for a passport?

Having just gone through this with my step daughter, BOTH parents need to be present when you apply for a passport. Unless one has no custody whatsoever and then those papers need to be presented as well.

Edited by blrgrl

I refer to my step daughter as my bonus daughter and I am her bonus mom. Never heard others use that term!!! Love it!!

We have cruised many times without a passport and just our birth certificates and had no problem. Just make sure its a certified birth certificate. (It doesn't have to have a raised seal. Mine doesn't and I never had a problem and I ended up getting my passport with same birth certificate).

Hope you all have a great cruise!!