Deck 5 Plaza

brentconn

We were assigned our cabin today and it looks like we are located on deck 5 plaza near the stairs port front. We are so excited to finally know where we are! Any tips about this area would be much appreciated. Nine more days!!!!

Brent

Very convenient location! We used to choose that deck when our family was all in the same stateroom...they'd be asleep and we'd be just outside having coffee or a cocktail while people watching. What ship?

I don't want to be a downer, but we had one of these cabins (P205, which may be more forward than you are) and didn't like anything about it except the location, which I agree was convenient. Our main complaints were that there was room for only one nightstand, even though the cabin diagram shows two, so the bed was pushed against the wall on one side. Also, the window was recessed into the hull of the ship, so the view to the sides was obstructed. This also creates a ledge outside of the window and on the 2nd day a flying fish somehow hit the little wall and landed on the ledge. There the dead fish stayed for the duration of the cruise even though our steward and the PSD knew all about it. We docked with our side away from the dock at each port, so they said they it. So we spent almost the whole cruise looking at a rotting fish.

Anyway, even without the dead fish, we won't book this location again.

Have to agree with Pompeii. The location is nice, but many of the cabins, as you go forward, are much smaller than the typical cabin. We had booked an Outside Obstructed guarantee for the Emerald TA last fall, and were "upgraded" to Plaza deck. The only upgrade being that the view was unobstructed by life boats. As stated above, a double bed must be pushed against one wall. There's a small vanity, with a vanity chair, but no table and no side chair. Just not enough room. These cabins should be advertised as suitable for twin beds only. We'd take an obstructed view on Emerald deck any time over one of these cabins. Oh, and the noise from the thrusters when coming into port and from the anchor chain at tender ports is very loud.

I don't want to be a downer, but we had one of these cabins (P205, which may be more forward than you are) and didn't like anything about it except the location, which I agree was convenient. Our main complaints were that there was room for only one nightstand, even though the cabin diagram shows two, so the bed was pushed against the wall on one side. Also, the window was recessed into the hull of the ship, so the view to the sides was obstructed. This also creates a ledge outside of the window and on the 2nd day a flying fish somehow hit the little wall and landed on the ledge. There the dead fish stayed for the duration of the cruise even though our steward and the PSD knew all about it. We docked with our side away from the dock at each port, so they said they it. So we spent almost the whole cruise looking at a rotting fish.

Anyway, even without the dead fish, we won't book this location again.

I hope our cabin is just like yours. We love dead fish on our ledge. It goes great with breakfast in bed!:)

I hope our cabin is just like yours. We love dead fish on our ledge. It goes great with breakfast in bed!:)

Yeah, my husband joked that it was room service sushi. It'll probably never happen to anyone again, but it sure made a less than great view even worse.

What really bothered us though was the room size. It was very small and having to climb over dh or out the end of the bed was cumbersome. Also, no nightstand gave me no place to put my book, reading glasses, water, etc. Just uncomfortable in general. Princess' response was "there is a disclaimer that the room may vary from the photo." So they can misrepresent the size/features of the room all they want, and tough beans to the passenger. The "tunnel window" was also a bummer.

The real disappointment is that we switched from an OV on Emerald, one of those without any obstruction. We decided to try a new location for a change. Live and learn!

Here's what we did. First I went to the No Desk (passenger services), where I received the standard "I'm very sorry for your inconvenience sir, but there's nothing we can do. I then discussed with our room steward who said the only option to the bed in the corner was to configure to twins. That didn't work for us, so I was able to find out who was the Deck Supervisor for Plaza deck. I talked to him and asked him to meet us in our cabin. Long story short, he was very cooperative. We ended up taking the large nightstand out of the cabin completely. He was able to find a small one for one side of the bed, allowing us to move the bed away from the wall far enough to allow me to get in and out of the bed without climbing over my wife. Then, our cabin steward rigged up a small table for my side which was big enough for a clock, and a place to set my coffee in the morning. This wasn't ideal, but it worked out OK.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app