St. John excursion – not exactly as advertised

cruises r us

Just back from 10 sunny days on the marvelous Equinox. Loved it.

But, if you are planning on visiting St. John on a Celebrity excursion from St. Thomas, an FYI on this tour.

From Celebrity's website:

"St. John Island and National Park Beaches (STO8)

Explore the best of St. John: its island and national park beaches. After a scenic ferry ride to Cruz Bay, your take a scenic drive through … Then it's on to Trunk Bay for 2.5 hour of beach bliss. Finish by returning to Cruz Bay and exploring the shops, restaurants, and historical sites."

We were surprised to learn from our bus driver on St. John, we would have to make our own way back, via taxi, from Trunk Bay to Cruz Bay and pay our way (later refuted by a fellow traveller) onto Trunk Bay. With beach time already shrunk to just over an hour and being unclear of the lay of the land, we first-timers to the island, and others, opted to stay on the bus to Cruz Bay. Consternation for sure.

Back on board, the excursion staff pointed out a fuller description in the excursions brochure does spell out all the details.

Similar private tours on other islands including transportation throughout the day, to and from all points.

Expected better from Celebrity.

Back in 2012 I opted for the Royal Caribbean tour called "St. John on your own". They listed a lot of things to see. Long story short, the ferry dropped us off, we wandered around for maybe a half hour (almost nothing there) had lunch and joined another unhappy couple at a park across the street to wait the 3 hours to catch the ferry back to St. Thomas. It happens.

cruises r us - That's really unfortunate. Is the full description online?

pammi44 - It too bad that you did not take a taxi to Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay. Your tour was called St. John On-Your-Own. Those two beaches had some of the best snorkeling and pretty beaches. If you ever visit again, do take the ferry on your own and then a taxi to one of the beaches. ;)

Guess you did read the details, did not listen to talk on ferry and since you didn't do either you missed the tour. We did this early Dec. and are even looking at cruise just to do it again. You missed some great sites and views on the tour and could have returned without spending the few extra bucks if you had not wanted to stop at one of the best beaches we have ever seen. Sorry you missed it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What happened…??? We are taking the On Your Own Excurison and I know I have to get around on my own once at St John. But that is about a 6.5 hour excursion

There are other that take you to the National Park for example with admissions. Those are about 3.5-4ish hours.

Which one did you buy?

What happened…??? We are taking the On Your Own Excurison and I know I have to get around on my own once at St John. But that is about a 6.5 hour excursion

There are other that take you to the National Park for example with admissions. Those are about 3.5-4ish hours.

Which one did you buy?

The whole tour is 6.5 hours, or the St. John portion?

I thought the on your own tours gave about 2 (maybe 3) hours on St. John??

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The whole tour is 6.5 hours, or the St. John portion?

I thought the on your own tours gave about 2 (maybe 3) hours on St. John??

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My expectaion is that the total time from start to finish will be the 6.5 hours. From the time I board the jitney to the time I am checking in with my sea pass card.

The other stuff in the middle is still better than then the abbreviated trip. St John is too gorgeous to be rushed with an abbreviated trip if coming in on a cruise. Of course its a passenger pay for all the way.

Edited by MizDemeanor

cruises r us - That's really unfortunate. Is the full description online?

pammi44 - It too bad that you did not take a taxi to Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay. Your tour was called St. John On-Your-Own. Those two beaches had some of the best snorkeling and pretty beaches. If you ever visit again, do take the ferry on your own and then a taxi to one of the beaches. ;)

Ditto these thoughts. Cinnamon Bay is probably the most gorgeous beach I have ever been to in my life. It is the spot I am most looking forward to on our upcoming trip!

Question, when you do St Johns "on your own" do you have a choice as to when to come back or is there a set time?

Thanks,

Duane

From what I have read that there is a set time to get back. My impression is that they Ferry you over and Ferry you back. Everything else is on you once there. But it allows the most time which I what we are looking for. I could stay there forever just thinking about what it must have been like when explorers were in those waters.

We have been to St. John's a few times. Once we went on our our ( taxi to ferry, ferry to St Johns, taxi to Trunk Bay) and once using the ships excursion, which was the boat ride from the ship to St. John and then a taxi on our won to Trunk By. We enjoyed the ride over, very scenes c, as well as the commentary. The excursion was much less hassle than on our own for not much additionl cost and I would recommend it. trunk Bay is beautiful.

Question, when you do St Johns "on your own" do you have a choice as to when to come back or is there a set time?

Thanks,

Duane

Our first trip to St John booked excursion thru ship. Since that first trip, we have always visited St John on our own. We get taxi to Red Hook for sailing to Cruz Bay. Get shared cab for ride to Trunk Bay. We always leave the beach to take 3pm Return Ferry (Have to make sure you are back before cruise ship sails). Always purchase round trip Ferry Pass so ready to go when Ferry arrives Cruz Bay. Always have cash for tickets and cabs.

I suggest that you research Ports you will visit. One good place to read port questions and answers is the Ports of Call Board. Lots of good info here from other cruisers.

Edited by texkan

With so much great info on ports here on CC...we never do cruise sponsored tours. Have found if you join your ships Roll Call...you can join others, or set up your own tour and get others to join you. Much less expensive and a better tour--with less people on it.

We have done St John 2 times on our own. I looked into the "St John on your own" Celebrity excursion and ended up deciding against it. But the only reason was the times of that excursion. We are supposed to arrive at 8am but the excursion doesn't start until 10am. If we arrive on time we will be able to make the 9am ferry over to St John. So by the time they are loading up for the excursion we will be sitting on the beach, mostly likely Cinnamon Bay this time since we haven't gone there before.

Also some of the reviews claim they usually get a late start, which cuts into your time there. I prefer to have control of how much time I want to spend on St John. And since the ferry runs every hour you have that flexibility.