Stargazing

mdod

I just saw a commercial for stargazing on Princess Cruise Lines. I'm surprised that ships don't routinely offer a stargazing session. Has anyone been on an NCL cruise where they have done this? I've read of isolated instances on NCL where they have turned off the upper deck lights for a short stargazing event but our Roll Call group sent a letter to the Captain of the Spirit on our 2009 New England cruise. He replied that that could not be done and recommended a place to view the stars (which sucked).

Being out at sea, away from all the light pollution, provides a wonderful opportunity to see the stars that most people will never experience at home...and it's just there, free for the taking. I can't believe that with ships with 2000-4000 passengers there aren't a significant number of people that would enjoy that experience.

I was thinking about trying again on our next cruise but it is during the peak of the full moon so we won't see much anyway.

Edited by mdod

After all the cruises I have taken, I have RARELY ever seen any stars, stargazing is almost better here in the ORD suburbs on a clear winter night. There are too many ships around and the lights from the ship you are on, just don't offer the darkness necessary to see a lot of stars.

After all the cruises I have taken, I have RARELY ever seen any stars, stargazing is almost better here in the ORD suburbs on a clear winter night. There are too many ships around and the lights from the ship you are on, just don't offer the darkness necessary to see a lot of stars.

Yes, the ship is generally way to bright to see anything. But if they turn off the upper deck lights late on a clear evening with a new moon, you should get quiet a view. That appears to be what Princess is doing. Their commercial shows most of the lights out on the ship and people on the deck in the dark (with minimal lighting to show their faces).

That's a pretty neat thing Princess is doing. I wish more cruise lines would do it. I've been on small ships at sea that don't have the light pollution of cruise ships, and being able to see the Milky Way when you are in the middle of the ocean is amazing. I've never been able to see anything like that on a cruise ship, there's just nowhere to get away from the lights. Sure, you can see more stars on a cruise ship than you can in most urban areas, but nothing like you could see if there were a spot where they turned off the lights.

It's really a missed opportunity.

We routinely stargaze from our balcony. The best being on the Epic. Witnessed satellites, stars - and fireworks off a Disney ship in the distance. We spent over two hours listening to the ocean, and enjoying the great view.

Sent from my iPad. Typos are inevitable.

Just back from a 12 day on the Breakaway and enjoyed stargazing from our aft balcony. Not another ship around and minimal ambient light. We agree more ships should do this!