Review/Trip Report: Navigator of the Seas January 11, 2015

You have to way back up that long pier to get them both

That's a good point that might make as a suggestion to RC's excursion departments. Years ago when we were in Cozumel on Navigator they had an "ok" beach excursion to Playa Mia resort. On its own, I would say it was just ok, but there was a Mexican cooking class held at the same location and those people had a great time and raved about it. They joined us on the beach for about an hour before the bus back, they said the view was nice while they worked. This is the only pic I could find, but the room was only 50ft from the beach.

prudy2.jpg

I left the suggestion to the tour operators in their comment book and on Trip Advisor. I think that plaza used before is only for smaller groups and there were about 150 people from all the different ships in port in the same tour and it was just too much for the other space. :(

Food

This is the most subjective areas of them all...

Sabor was awesome, the dining room was just okay and I had better food at the Windjammer.

DH hates buffets and loves the service in the dining room so we ate there more than I would have liked.

The food just doesn't have the flavor I would expect in most dishes and I had the most bland steak ever one night.

The meals I had in the Windjammer were very good with a lot more variety and options to customize (sandwich and salad toppings, nachos, etc.), that being said I do not have a sophisticated palate, I'm happy with pizza, burgers and fries most nights. lol

Speaking of pizza... There is no Sorrentos, but pizza is available in the Cafe Promenade and it was edible (as opposed to the pizza on the Majesty in August) but still not great.

Really enjoyed reading your review. Love the pictures and overview.

We have the exact same itinerary and we are looking forward to snorkeling as well.

Hopefully any excursion we book in Roatan doesn't get cancelled.

We are also Ohioans! Great game! Go Bucks!

We have reservations for the December sailing out of Galveston on the Liberty.

What do you mean that Texas taxes the alcohol? There's a extra tax on alcohol throughout the entire trip?

No, it's not a tax throughout the trip. All it means is that while in port, they are required to serve Texas stamped alcohol. This means that they only serve a limited selection of alcohol until they sail and leave Texas waters.

He used to work for Cardinal Health and he used to live in Dublin. We live on the east side now and he works near Easton.

Ok, probably just a coincidence, we live in NE Columbus, but do spend a lot of time at Easton. Thanks for the review, I'll look forward to sailing Navigator again someday and I've never sailed out of Galveston before.

We have reservations for the December sailing out of Galveston on the Liberty.

What do you mean that Texas taxes the alcohol? There's a extra tax on alcohol throughout the entire trip?

I think there is also an import tax on the bottles you purchase to bring home..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any Alcohol you bring back with you is subject to Texas Tax. After you go through customs there are tables set up to declare and pay the alcohol tax. You are SUPPOSED to stop and pay. Some just go right by without paying.

Thanks for a great review!

Tuesday, January 13th: At Sea

With nothing on the agenda today we spent a lot of time by the pool and Flowrider. I was able to get up on my knees the first time I tried (I wasn’t able to get up on my knees on Freedom) and was able to “stand” on my knees once. Andy wasn’t able to until his last ride of the day and I admit I rubbed it in since I NEVER get to beat him at anything “athletic”.

16133750877_863bfbecbd_b.jpg

Interesting...that "tube" in the middle of the Flow Rider wasn't there in April. Did they put that in so they could handle two riders at once?

We are in the process of getting a refund for the excursion. Island Marketing did get confirmation from the operator and resort about the situation and they agreed that the tour we were provided was NOT what we were supposed to receive. They are refunding the deposit that was charged to our credit card and we are trying to work out a method to get a refund of the cash we paid to the resort.

Island Marketing is requesting our BANK information (not our credit card) to issue the refund and there is no way in hell I’m providing someone in a third world country my bank account number. At this point Island Marketing is trying to see if the resort can issue the refund to a credit card or another method that doesn’t include our bank account, and Western Union was listed as a possible solution but I have no idea how that even works.

I’m pleased that Island Marketing is working with us to make it right after the fact, but I’m disappointed that they won’t refund the full amount to our card right now and then deal with getting the refund back from the resort for themselves.

After returning to the port we did some shopping and I found some really interesting pottery made by the local women. It is still made by hand and different than anything I had seen before so I bought a vase and a Christmas ornament.

The port area is safe inside the gates but outside the gates I did feel a little uneasy. There is a lot of poverty and kids running around asking you to come and look at stores. We were not pressured or accosted, but I was very aware of our surroundings and kept our wallets in front pockets with our hands in our pockets as an extra precaution.

There was a stand for those who want their passports stamped and wifi is available for a fee (I think it was $5) and I think there was a Duty Free store that would give you free wifi with a purchase.

I’m not ready to write off Roatan as a port stop, but we were very disappointed in our day there. Part of it was that I really wanted to snorkel the reef (second largest behind the Great Barrier Reef in Australia) and the Blue Channel. With those plans cancelled nothing would have lived up to those expectations.

I take responsibility for choosing the alternative excursion, but with less than 2 hours to make a decision I didn’t have time to go into full research mode and I wanted to avoid a ship excursion, but hindsight tells me it would have been better to be on a large boat getting to snorkel as opposed to what we elected to do.

I'm so sorry your Roatan day ended up being a bust.:( We fell in love with Roatan the first time we visited in 2007 (the port was just a chain-link fence area), and have had a great time on every visit. The snorkeling there is really some of the most amazing I've ever seen, because the coral is abundant and very shallow.

The area right by the port is a little scary, but if you get a driver and go over to the West End Village there are lots of small shops and restaurants, and you'll find work by local artisans in a safe environment. Just some things to think about if you go back. I hope you don't completely write off Roatan because of your experience on this trip.

Thanks for a great review!

Interesting...that "tube" in the middle of the Flow Rider wasn't there in April. Did they put that in so they could handle two riders at once?

I'm so sorry your Roatan day ended up being a bust.:( We fell in love with Roatan the first time we visited in 2007 (the port was just a chain-link fence area), and have had a great time on every visit. The snorkeling there is really some of the most amazing I've ever seen, because the coral is abundant and very shallow.

The area right by the port is a little scary, but if you get a driver and go over to the West End Village there are lots of small shops and restaurants, and you'll find work by local artisans in a safe environment. Just some things to think about if you go back. I hope you don't completely write off Roatan because of your experience on this trip.

The blue tube on the Flow Rider is there during peak times so two people can boogie board at one time. They don't use it for stand up surfing at all I don't think.

I'm not writing off Roatan, I was just really disappointed in our day there but that is the fault of the tour company and the hotel, not the port itself.

I was surprised at how much poverty was visible at the gates, usually the immediate port area is pretty commercialized and "Disney-fied" for the tourists. It was an eye opener for sure.

I am so excited for this thread. We are cruising on the Navigator in July sans kids for our anniversary. It will be our first trip that doesn't have kids or work involved (we went to Europe on my company dime but we only really had 3 days together when I wasn't working).

Anyway I have a funny story about Bone Daddies. We had just moved to Texas from California in 2005. We really got a kick out of BBQ and there were plenty of places to eat at here in Austin so we were trying each one. We lived south and Bone Daddies was up in North Austin so we didn't even know about it. My bro-in-law works as an Electrician and him and his wife moved from Cali about the same time we did. His coworkers were asking him if he liked BBQ and told him that Bone Daddies was the best BBQ ever (probably not for the food). Anyway none of us knew what it was and he decided for his b-day he would have his b-day dinner there since the guys were raving about it.

So we all show up (2 grandparents, 2 sets of families with 4 kids total so about 10 in all). We'll let's say we are very conservative and I only have been to a place like hooters once when I was in college because a friend wanted to go there and I was uncomfortable. Well when we walked into Bone Daddies they had a shirt on the wall that got my attention that said something off color and I was still clueless. Then as we turned the corner I saw the first waitress and I didn't even realize it was a waitress and thought wow what a skimpy outfit to go out to eat in. Then we turn the corner and there were 15-20 all around the restaurant. It was pretty uncomfortable.

Now we look back on it and laugh. We also had friends that accidentally ate in twin peaks because they didn't know what it was and thought it was a Colorado themed restaurant and they grew up in Colorado. Oops!

Anyway thanks for the review. I look forward to reading the rest!

We are leaving on the Navigator on January 25, so this is a very important question! Did they have limes on the ship? Our last cruise on IOS they had no limes and when I asked for one for my Corona the bar tender said no limes but you can have a lemon. Yuck. LOL

We are leaving on the Navigator on January 25, so this is a very important question! Did they have limes on the ship? Our last cruise on IOS they had no limes and when I asked for one for my Corona the bar tender said no limes but you can have a lemon. Yuck. LOL

I believe all ships have limes again. The lime shortage is over lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for your review. We've only cruised once before, and this summer will be our first time on RC and our first time to the Caribbean. Your review had good notes and pictures!

From research, I know what we plan to do in Cozumel. However, both Belize and Roatan we are yet to decide.

I've read so many great things on CC about Butts Up in Belize--trying to decide between that and the ruins. My DH is a big guy, so the restrictions on zip-lining cause concern.

And snorkeling in Roatan...that DOES appeal to me! From your research, what made you choose your 3rd party operator? What were the good and bad points in your research (if you don't mind sharing)?

We loved the late night comedy show on our first cruise (Celebrity), and I hope to do that again! I've heard so many funny things about the couples show--glad to know that it's a hoot!

FINALLY, you have intrigued me about staying in the Houston area and seeing NASA prior to cruising. I will review what you've already posted, but if you have any tidbits to add, I would happily accept your advice :)

Thanks, again!

Yes there were definitely limes in my Coronas.:)

thanks for sharing your trip! My wife and I are sailing on the Navigator in October. We are flying in from Atlanta and I would prefer to fly same day and take the shuttle. But, we will probably take an early flight and arrive in Houston around 9:30 in hopes of being able to board early.

We sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas this past September and were at the port in Canaveral at 10 and on the ship by 11. We loved being able to enjoy a full day and explore.

Sorry, I have no idea!

Thank you for your review. We've only cruised once before, and this summer will be our first time on RC and our first time to the Caribbean. Your review had good notes and pictures!

From research, I know what we plan to do in Cozumel. However, both Belize and Roatan we are yet to decide.

I've read so many great things on CC about Butts Up in Belize--trying to decide between that and the ruins. My DH is a big guy, so the restrictions on zip-lining cause concern.

And snorkeling in Roatan...that DOES appeal to me! From your research, what made you choose your 3rd party operator? What were the good and bad points in your research (if you don't mind sharing)?

We loved the late night comedy show on our first cruise (Celebrity), and I hope to do that again! I've heard so many funny things about the couples show--glad to know that it's a hoot!

FINALLY, you have intrigued me about staying in the Houston area and seeing NASA prior to cruising. I will review what you've already posted, but if you have any tidbits to add, I would happily accept your advice :)

Thanks, again!

In Belize there were some bigger guys zip lining, I would email them about any height or weight restrictions. If he goes he will probably want to start breaking a little before they give the signal, the heavier you are the faster you go and the earlier you want to start to slow down for the end.

For Roatan I'm sure that if I had been able to stick to our original snorkeling tour we would have been happy. I chose Island Marketing because they had some of the better prices for a boat snorkeling tour and that excursion included ground transportation to/from the ship.

There is some excellent walk in snorkeling from parts of the island, but I wanted to get out to the reef itself.

The "bad" part of my research was that I didn't have enough time and a full laptop to do additional research after the excursion was cancelled. Plan B wasn't what I had hoped it would be at all.

As far as staying in Houston and doing NASA it seems like a good way to kill some time and we will try again if we sail from Galveston in the future. Be sure to check your hotel for discount coupons. We found a brochure in the lobby that would have saved us $5 per adult if I remember correctly.

I am so excited for this thread. We are cruising on the Navigator in July sans kids for our anniversary. It will be our first trip that doesn't have kids or work involved (we went to Europe on my company dime but we only really had 3 days together when I wasn't working).

Anyway I have a funny story about Bone Daddies. We had just moved to Texas from California in 2005. We really got a kick out of BBQ and there were plenty of places to eat at here in Austin so we were trying each one. We lived south and Bone Daddies was up in North Austin so we didn't even know about it. My bro-in-law works as an Electrician and him and his wife moved from Cali about the same time we did. His coworkers were asking him if he liked BBQ and told him that Bone Daddies was the best BBQ ever (probably not for the food). Anyway none of us knew what it was and he decided for his b-day he would have his b-day dinner there since the guys were raving about it.

So we all show up (2 grandparents, 2 sets of families with 4 kids total so about 10 in all). We'll let's say we are very conservative and I only have been to a place like hooters once when I was in college because a friend wanted to go there and I was uncomfortable. Well when we walked into Bone Daddies they had a shirt on the wall that got my attention that said something off color and I was still clueless. Then as we turned the corner I saw the first waitress and I didn't even realize it was a waitress and thought wow what a skimpy outfit to go out to eat in. Then we turn the corner and there were 15-20 all around the restaurant. It was pretty uncomfortable.

Now we look back on it and laugh. We also had friends that accidentally ate in twin peaks because they didn't know what it was and thought it was a Colorado themed restaurant and they grew up in Colorado. Oops!

Anyway thanks for the review. I look forward to reading the rest!

Funny, sounds almost like my experience with Bone Daddy's, a couple was visiting from out of town and we stop there to eat, had no idea what it was. We are walking up and I see one of the waitresses through the window in the door and my thought is 'can't believe she came out to eat dressed like that', anyway we realized pretty quick she wasn't a patron when we started seeing others dressed the same way.

I want to say I highly recommend NASA to anyone who hasn't been before. My daughter kept wanting to go and I finally caved and we had a small family 3 day weekend where we went to Kemah and Nasa just for a mini vacation. I must say I was more than impressed with NASA. My kids liked it but for me it was a really awesome experience given I grew up with all the NASA developments. I was in 5th grade when the Challenger exploded and we were watching the TV screens in class and saw it happen real time.

If you go make sure you take the tour that goes through the test facilities. There are two tours and one goes through the old mission control and the other goes to the lab. It was recommended to us because the mission control is not occupied any longer and isn't that interesting. Both tours end up at rocket park where you can see a Saturn V rocket from the Apollo program. Super awesome. The size is incredible.

Also if you go on Fridays (double verify this on the website) they have a real astronaut give a presentation. Ours was a commander on several space shuttle missions and it was really interesting to be able to talk with him and ask questions.