Many more problems still Here

AFT_LOVER

From taking forever to show all posts to read to this afternoon I log on & am told that Adminstration no longer has me on. SO I sent an email & this evening I log on and all is fine. Other folks would have just left............. It has been doing it to many folks for months.

I'll second what Phil posted. This is a great board. Yes, they've had some problems but on the whole this is one of the best free boards around on any subject and without doubt the best cruising board. I doubt very seriously that the board's problems have even the slightest impact on anybody's machine at home.

I doubt very seriously that the board's problems have even the slightest impact on anybody's machine at home.

Thanks for checking out my laptop. I feel so much better. Consider me duly flogged :) .

By the way...I enjoy the boards very much too, and yes, the annoyance is worth it.

I'll second what Phil posted. This is a great board. Yes, they've had some problems but on the whole this is one of the best free boards around on any subject and without doubt the best cruising board. I doubt very seriously that the board's problems have even the slightest impact on anybody's machine at home.

Ah, but then you haven't seen my monitor since I've had to start banging on it to make the board appear! ;) :D

Susan

One of new (and unwanted) the things I've noted in the last couple of weeks is that when one hits "Submit", the whole shootin' match locks up for some period of time. This is using IE6, mind you. If you fire up the Task Manager, you see IE6 (iexplorer.exe) is sitting there doing nothing useful but hogging 98%+ of your system's CPU time. I'm very unclear about why this would be true, but it appears that our local machines get pretty well into lala waiting for the CC server to respond with a new php file.

Many times, the post actually does eventually post to the database. Sometimes, it doesn't. I've learned not to shut down IE6 as it does seem to eventually come to its senses after a few minutes -- but I've gotten to where I select/copy all of my longer responses again in the event that things go truly south.

Just thought I would chime in and say that I also have had the same issues over the last few days accessing this message board.

Seemingly at random when I click on a new subject area it will ocassionally freeze up and not do anything.

Many times even when I leave the site and come back it will still do that. Thankfully it is only intermittedly because I look forward to the great info shared here.

I have not been to this board since my last cruise almost three years ago on RCCL's Brilliance and it is just as good as I remember.

canderson,

Are you ALWAYS so serious? Every post sounds like you are working, not enjoying our boards!:)

Naw, not working -- just trying to describe the problem clearly enough that the guys on the other end can make sense of it (and maybe fix it!) Since the "lock up" on submit is effecting three different machines tha tI know of, it's probably pandemic and for many users, probably even more frustrating. It's certainly one of the strangest things I've seen IE6 do. Might start playing with Firefox to see how it responds to whatever CC is sending to us. I suppose my dedication to helping get stuff like this "right" comes from the fact that I was out there doing this back in 1986, long before there was any software that would have made an internet board like this possible. The Dinosaur Board is still up and running nearly 20 years later as sort of a legacy to the early days of bulletin boards.

As for serious -- that long message I typed into the "perks" thread day before yesterday was accomplished from a seriously compromised condition! We'd been playing some serious bluegrass and whooping it up big time for a birthday party for my son-in-law's brother. Some day I'm going to find out what Rogue Brewing puts into their "Dead Guy Ale". It's a really tasty German style Maibock, but kicks your butt like something out of a monastery in Belgium!

I use Firefox most of the time, IE6 occasionally, and these boards act up with both of them frequently.

I think it may be that no other boards take as many hits per hour, interactively, as these do!

Patience, friends, patience.

love

joan

I use Firefox most of the time, IE6 occasionally, and these boards act up with both of them frequently.

I think it may be that no other boards take as many hits per hour, interactively, as these do!

love

joan

To the contrary -- if you look at the on-line stats, this system doesn't have nearly as much traffic as some systems.

As to the issue of FF vs. IE6 -- have you had the "Submit" lockup with FF as well?

... As to the issue of FF vs. IE6 -- have you had the "Submit" lockup with FF as well?
Another Firefox here (I gave up on IE6 earlier this year when 'about:blank' caught me :mad: ) and the answer to your question is yes. About a month ago it was constantly 'yes'. After Laura posted her message about working on the problem, I didn't have any more 'submit' problems until yesterday afternoon. Then it was the whole ball of wax again: blank pages, 'error' messages, 'message sent to administrator' messages, stalls, and 'timed out' messages. The first success I had from 1:50 EDT yesterday was after about 45 minutes ago.

I'm not so sure misery loves company.

Here in the UK things are fine until the USA wakes up! The software in use on this board (vbulletin) is widely used and should be able to cope with these volumes. I'm guessing that the good folks at CC need to spned some money and upgrade their servers.

love

joan

There are forums out there that get more hits a minute than Cruise Critic gets in an hour at lunch time. Yet, they don't have the problems that Cruise Critic has....and Cruise Critic has been having these problems for years. :(

Relax folks I heard from a reliable source that they are going to upgrade the system.

They are currently running this whole thing on a 386 system with a 60 meg hd and a 56 k modem. That is good performance because they are using Windows 3.1 . The techs are working night and day to get the new system ready.

The upgrade will be to a P1 system with 1 meg of ram. and two 100 meg hd's and connecting to Cox Cable. Windows 98 will be a big improvement to the win 3.1 so relax and enjoy the burst of speed you will soon experience.

That is all better than the 300 baud modem and DOS 2.0 I started with and am using now.

I got to think we just got our leg pulled big time. :rolleyes: I've donated/trashed 5 computers with more capability than the one described in the last 4-5 years. Got an extra in the closest right that nobody wants that is easily 10 times the machine. :)

About Firefox.

I have been using it for about two years, along with high speed cable connection, and I really like it. 'faster than IE 6 and not so many pop ups which can pop up even with a pop up controller.

It is downloadable online and it is free. What's not to like>

love

joan

I figure what I get out of the boards far exceed anything I've ever paid for them which is simply my time and my posts. I have not found another board that even comes close with CC for the knowledge base and the traffic.

I just wish that someone could keep us posted as to what is happening. The last time anything was said was Aug. 9(the entry on top of page) and today is Aug. 30.

Marilyn

I agree. The message issued August 9 needs to be updated with the current situation.

I have sent an email to community@cruisecritic.com asking for an update. I would encourage as many as possible to email as well. No one needs to write a book, but keep it short, simple and to the point!

Archived