Fitbit on board?

CCC3

Be aware that your Fitbit might credit you with WAY more flights of stairs then you actually climbed! DH finds this happens all the time on cruises. Guess it is from the elevation shifts with the waves.

I guess that's possible. Fitbit calculates a flight of stairs as a 10 foot change in elevation concurrent with detecting the walking/running motion.

A change in decks isn't necessarily 10 feet vertical.

DH & I also use the Fitbit. Since I don't care for things around my wrist I use the Fitbit Zip, which attaches to my bra or waistband. We plan to buy the internet package onboard since DH has to stay connected to his business.

If we buy the single device package (on the Oasis) and use his computer instead of the phone would that work for both of us? Can we sync daily? Or can we use the phone if we are only on one device at a time? I am not tech savvy at all, and this really has me confused.:confused: Maybe DH can get this all figured out, but I don't want a huge phone bill when we get home, either!:eek:

BTW, I have lost 54 pounds since August using the My Fitness Pal app and the Fitbit. I am not dieting. I am retraining!:D

You can each log into your separate fitbit account on your computer and it should sync through Bluetooth. You set up your online account with the same username you use on your phone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can each log into your separate fitbit account on your computer and it should sync through Bluetooth. You set up your online account with the same username you use on your phone.

I neglected to add you need to plug in the wireless sync dongle (comes with Fitbit trackers) into your computer to sync the data.

Had no idea what Fibit is, now I do.

Have exercised all my life, now at 60. Run a few miles a few times a week and bike an old fashionen bike just as I did 50 years ago.

What will I gain by going high tech?

It allows you to monitor how active you are! 10,000 steps a day is a good recommendation for an active lifestyle. I'm a teacher, and normally average 6500-8000 steps a day. By making up the difference at home...I meet my goal...and have managed to lose 33.5 lbs (I also monitor my calories on a free site that will sync to my Fitbit!). My hubby got his Fitbit for Christmas, and by monitoring his calories & going for that 10,000 steps, has lost 15 lbs since Dec 26!

There is a free Fitbit phone app for smartphones you can "try before you buy." I have a friend who has done this about 3 weeks, and has decided he needs to buy! Since he had a smartphone already and the app is free, he had nothing to lose but the 12 lbs he's lost!

My almost 2 year old Galaxy S4 came with an app that tracks my steps per day. I'm sure that the $5 neoprene case that I can use to strap the phone to my upper arm when I don't have a pocket to put it in was MUCH less expensive than a FitBit! And there's nothing to worry about syncing to your smartphone since that's where the data is collected in the first place! ;)

It allows you to monitor how active you are! 10,000 steps a day is a good recommendation for an active lifestyle. I'm a teacher, and normally average 6500-8000 steps a day. By making up the difference at home...I meet my goal...and have managed to lose 33.5 lbs (I also monitor my calories on a free site that will sync to my Fitbit!). My hubby got his Fitbit for Christmas, and by monitoring his calories & going for that 10,000 steps, has lost 15 lbs since Dec 26!

There is a free Fitbit phone app for smartphones you can "try before you buy." I have a friend who has done this about 3 weeks, and has decided he needs to buy! Since he had a smartphone already and the app is free, he had nothing to lose but the 12 lbs he's lost!

So glad to hear people are having good results. I'm about three weeks into using mine in conjunction with another app. Trying to get in shape for the cruise. I haven't downloaded the app on my phone, I just sync via the computer.

I do want to track on the cruise. I am averaging about 11,000 steps on non gym days and 15,000 steps on gym days. We will be at sea one day.

Grumpyfan, go to your phone's App Store, and search for Fitbit. There is a free and a premium app in the iPhone App Store, and I downloaded the free one. Hubby has an android phone and he downloaded the free android version.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 7 months later...

I'm really late to this thread but I'm glad I found this info. Both of us wear our Fitbit daily and was wondering how it would work on our cruise coming up in a few days. I have mine set to auto sync but will change that to manually sync. I wonder how much data it actually uses when it syncs? I'm coincide ring getting the AT&T passport package for this cruise. I'm notorious for using all my data on trips. Again I'm glad I found this thread.

I'm really late to this thread but I'm glad I found this info. Both of us wear our Fitbit daily and was wondering how it would work on our cruise coming up in a few days. I have mine set to auto sync but will change that to manually sync. I wonder how much data it actually uses when it syncs? I'm coincide ring getting the AT&T passport package for this cruise. I'm notorious for using all my data on trips. Again I'm glad I found this thread.

We did a 7 day, and when we returned to the port...it took a minute but all my data loaded!! It was great!

I have the flex and it doesn't bother my wrist but DH has the HR and he gets a rash. He did find putting a piece of tape on the band where it was rubbing has kept his arm from breaking out. We are anxious to see how much we walk on the cruise. I average 7000 daily and we know we will be doing a LOT of walking.

On the Oasis in May we walked on the treadmill every day when we were at sea. We walked a lot in port and every night we walked the walking/running track 1 - 2 miles. Then there was the walking around that ship! In the end we walked about 11,000 - 14,000 steps a day. We plan to do the same on the Jewel next month. My Fitbit did synch when we got off the ship. I am not sure how long the FitBit will save the data. The next cruise is for 15 nights and I plan to have my phone off the whole time.

I have the Flex. I also had the unlimited wifi package on the Oasis last week. I put my iPhone in airplane mode and then turned the wifi on. No data charges at all. It worked great. I even ran on the track with the Fitbit app open on my phone and watched the steps increase as I ran and walked.

Edited by Yorkvillain

I did hear they withdrew one model due to about a 5% rate of people being reactive to it. Luckily we haven't had any issues. I like to wear my Charge fairly loose, not like I would wear my normal watch. With a recent update it now shows the time when I turn my wrist, which can be a bit disconcerting when you roll over. Hubby has the Charge HR and due to the extra lumpy bit on the inside for the heart rate monitor it does feel a bit different.

We like to check our sleep patterns as well as the steps. It does motivate you to see the total steps. On days when I am not working I get a bit dismayed at the low number of steps and do try to do some more :)

It does motivate you to see the total steps. On days when I am not working I get a bit dismayed at the low number of steps and do try to do some more :)

I know what you mean. At work I park my car far from the door so the walk is longer. I do the same at stores or anywhere else I go.

This is the first cruise we've had our Fitbits and we are both curious as to how much walking we actually do. We know it's a lot!

Here are the numbers that I tallied on the Oasis last week. I ran/power walked 4 times on the ship's track.

Day 1 - 11,134

Day 2 - 15,425 (the 20 minute walk to/from the beach helped these numbers)

Day 3 - 13,210

Day 4 - 11,152

Day 5 - 10,571

Day 6 - 7,307

Day 7 - 10,378

I wanted to average 12K a day but came up short at 11,311.

Edited by Yorkvillain

I know what you mean. At work I park my car far from the door so the walk is longer. I do the same at stores or anywhere else I go.

I do the same. I park far away and I also take the "long way" whenever I have time. It is amazing how fast you can rack up those extra steps that way! I try to get in at least my 10,000 steps a day. On the ship it seems to be easy, but I still make a point to use the treadmill and keep moving.

I have lost 107 pounds over the past 13 months and the FitBit Zip along with tracking calories on My Fitness Pal have been the tools I have been using. It has changed my life. On the ship I do not plan to track calories, just make wise choices. But do plan to still wear my FitBit every day to make sure I don't get lazy!

I do the same. I park far away and I also take the "long way" whenever I have time. It is amazing how fast you can rack up those extra steps that way! I try to get in at least my 10,000 steps a day. On the ship it seems to be easy, but I still make a point to use the treadmill and keep moving.

I have lost 107 pounds over the past 13 months and the FitBit Zip along with tracking calories on My Fitness Pal have been the tools I have been using. It has changed my life. On the ship I do not plan to track calories, just make wise choices. But do plan to still wear my FitBit every day to make sure I don't get lazy!

Lol. Thanks for the step count. That's a lot of steps and a lot of burned calories. Congrats on the weight loss too. Us Fitbit wearers are obsessed with it. I walked around Lowe's last night just to get my final steps in! We also use My Fitness Pal to track calories. We don't plan on tracking calories on the cruise but we are both so use to watching what we eat now that I don't think we will over indulge on anything. I've lost 20 pounds which isn't a lot for most people but when you are under 5 foot tall it makes a huge difference. I'm glad to see so many people on here using this little gadget! Keep up the good work! I'll report back when we return!

Oh my gosh yes...I too worried about all those "wasted" steps! If I have to walk...THEY BETTER COUNT!! LOL

And I don't know about your data plan...but a week in Canada, and a week in Jamaica were a little pricy! We plan to quest & find that free wifi we hear spoken of..."the internet Shangri-la"

You can manually enter when you get home too, just write down the Daily steps and stairs. We have done that, takes time but then you have them entered.