Saffire beach vs. Magens bay

andiloveu

We will be in St. Thomas on December 16th cruising on FOS. I have been to Magens bay before but never to Saffire Beach. Can anyone tell me what Saffire Beach is like? We will be on the island from 12pm to 7pm. Would you go to Magens Bay or Saffire Beach and why? Thanks

Sapphire, to us, is so much prettier than Magen's. Sapphire has beautiful water and amazing views. My DH really like the snorkeling there too.

My DH loves to snorkel and see the fish. I think Sapphire beach will be our beach for this cruise on St. Thomas. Can't wait to be there!

We've been to both, and although both are beautiful, we liked Sapphire much better. It's very pretty and although there were others there, it remained quiet and never seemed crowded. The snorkeling was pretty good and the views of the other islands were just beautiful. I know Magen's Bay can get pretty crowded, especially if there is more than one ship in port.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Those beaches aren't close to each other, and taxi drivers might not take you to Coki from Magens unless you have a fairly large group or arrange a private tour with a driver when you get to the dock off the ship.

Does anyone know the cost to get from Megan's Bay to Sapphire? I'm curious if we could do both. Quiet Megan's bay for the kids and then Sapphire for snorkeling for the adults.

Katie, Magens is not known for being a quiet or laid back beach as it is the most recommended by the cruise lines and others. Even though you're the only ship scheduled for the 29th Magens will still be one of the busier beaches. That situation may change, but because you are there on a Sunday and not a Tuesday or a Wednesday you will have the island to yourself, relatively speaking.

I'd recommend just going to one of the nice East End beaches, especially with no other ships in port. Sapphire would be our choice, and the kids would like it there too. But even Coki and Secret Harbor are good choices. Coki will be busy like Magens so we'd probably avoid that. We're heading to STT to get out of this weather next week and I've been watching the Sapphire web cam and even yesterday with 20,000 visitors on the island Sapphire remained very quiet. Just our thoughts, have a great cruise! :)

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Does anyone know the cost to get from Megan's Bay to Sapphire? I'm curious if we could do both. Quiet Megan's bay for the kids and then Sapphire for snorkeling for the adults.

Your kids will love Sapphire too. No need to go to both beaches.

Originally, I was worried about not having facilities at Sapphire or the water being too rough but it sounds like with the dive shop there, we'd have access to bathrooms, etc. and it sounds like it would be a great beach for the kids. I think we may just make the trek there and enjoy a nice, shady, uncrowded beach. Thanks so much for the advice!

Edited by usckatieh