best areas on ship to test one's "sea legs"?

Flafun888

If I wanted to get a true feel for what a forward cabin or higher deck would be like (in terms of feeling motion sensitivity/seasickness) are there public places anyone can recommend I explore while I'm on our M class ship (Constellation) next month to "test" that out?

My husband is fairly sensitive to sea motion (always gets sick on smaller fishing/snorkeling boats even in calm seas) and bodine, draminine, ginger don't help. Yet he cruised 20-25 years ago with no problem. So when deciding to sail for 1st time together this year, I played it safe w/a lower level midship cabin well in advance.

But we live near the port and can travel off-season. Many Caribbean cruises have big price drops for inside/OV 3-4 weeks out. I'd love to grab a hot deal next time. Or pick a higher floor for a better view.

If we could get a better feel for what the true motion feels from the most "sensitive" spots on the ship, we'd know how flexible we could be next time. But I can hardly ask someone to "test" out their cabin! :D

Decks 12-16 have public areas at the front of the ship and there's no reason you couldn't sit/stand there to see how he reacts to the sea. If he was able to handle a cruise 20-25 years ago, he would probably be okay.

Like him, I had suffered from seasickness on smaller craft. When DW, DD and I went on our first cruise, we brought patches, gravol and every other type of seasick preventative/cure. I didn't need any of them. Five cruises later I find ship movements soothing and can't tire of sitting on a balcony watching the waves.

Cruise ships are built with a large tube along the bottom that minimizes movement so the vessel is nowhere near as sensitive to waves as fishing/snorkelling boats.

Bon voyage.

I sympathize (as someone affected myself) but I am not sure how to help. Have you ever been in the theater or the Sky Lounge when the seas were rockin' and rollin'? Then you have an idea what the forward rooms can be like. Have you spent time at the end of the ship at the Sunset Bar or other aft areas during high seas? Then you have an idea of what aft cabins are like.

I would suggest your husband speak to his doctor. You may not be aware but there are prescription dosages of medication (like Bonine) that are safe to take and may in fact help him. (safe in general - I am not attempting to prescribe:)). Perhaps taking that higher dosage if needed could help. All that said, if the seas are really rocky and you are susceptible, no amount of OTC medication is going to totally solve your problem. The further aft or foreword, the more motion, if there is motion. Also, in the very back, you can sometimes get some side to side shaking in addition to the rocking and rolling, which can be troublesome (not always, but sometimes). For me personally, the very lowest floors (like 3) are definitely the most stable, but I can't really tell a lot of difference from say floor 6 to floor 11. It is probably also partly perception, but I feel more comfortable with a balcony room where I can go out and look at the horizon and breathe fresh air rather than just an outside. I would not recommend an inside at all for someone prone to motion sickness.

One more point to add - I have found S class ships to ride more smoothly than M class in similar seas. If the seas are high (over 15') then even S class can feel rocky, but I think there is a noticeable improvement with the bigger ships. I started sailing Celebrity on the (relatively) small Horizon, and compared to that M class is certainly better. But S class is better still. If you are going to experiment with room location, try it on S class first would be my recommendation.

If we could get a better feel for what the true motion feels from the most "sensitive" spots on the ship, we'd know how flexible we could be next time. But I can hardly ask someone to "test" out their cabin! :D
The problem is that you can't test out the different locations on the ship to get a feel for the motion until you are actually on a ship that is bouncing around in rough seas with big crashing waves.

Simply trying out high forward or aft locations in calm waters will tell you nothing.

Maybe someone will know of an amusement park ride that would simulate that kind of motion.

In the meantime, as others have advised, your best bet is to book a cabin that is low and mid-ship.

You may also want to bring along whatever non-medicinal treatments could possibly be helpful for him to try (such as Relief bands, seabands, motioneaze).

Even green apples and dry soda crackers work for some people.

Edited by fleckle

The problem is that you can't test out the different locations on the ship to get a feel for the motion until you are actually on a ship that is bouncing around in rough seas with big crashing waves....

This was my immediate thought as well.

The vast majority of the cruises we've been on have had calm, or relatively calm, seas and only minor ship movement. But every now and then there's been a real rocker and sometimes in places or seasons where it was not very common. So the chances of getting an advance check on how these areas feel when it matters the most are not great.

But if you do have that chance on your upcoming cruise then just head to the sky lounge at the front of the ship or the aft bar.

The closest I've ever come to getting seasick was during a massage at the spa which is located at the front of the ship just under the sky lounge. It was in the morning in very heavy seas and I'd been lying on my stomach on the massage table for a while. It was the only time I've ever been happy to see a massage end!

As others have said there are prescription drugs for sea sickness your husband can try if the OTC meds and herbal remedies haven't helped. But if you go that route make sure he tries the meds for a couple day period several weeks in advance of your cruise. Some of these have side effects that can be worse than the sea sickness, and even mistaken for sea sickness, and one wouldn't want to discover if they suffer the side effects while taking the medicine for the first time during a cruise.

Edited by Lsimon

Go to the highest deck as far forward or aft as you can go...and stand on the port or starboard side...not the center of that deck. That's where you'll feel the most motion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"I would suggest your husband speak to his doctor. You may not be aware but there are prescription dosages of medication (like Bonine) that are safe to take and may in fact help"

Great suggestion...as a matter of fact he has spoken to his doc and he'll be getting an RX we'll be taking onboard, just in case. (But I have a good feeling we won't need it this trip...as mentioned, I have us on lowest deck midship...as smooth sailing as you can get. But if he passes this trip with flying colors and I get more adventurous, he may need it next time! :eek:

"I feel more comfortable with a balcony room where I can go out and look at the horizon and breathe fresh air rather than just an outside. I would not recommend an inside at all for someone prone to motion sickness." That makes sense: wanted balcony, but we settled for OV this time (verandahs were 35-40% more and for a 5 day cruise with 2 port days, couldn't justify the cost.)

One more point to add - I have found S class ships to ride more smoothly than M class in similar seas. If the seas are high (over 15') then even S class can feel rocky, but I think there is a noticeable improvement with the bigger ships. I started sailing Celebrity on the (relatively) small Horizon, and compared to that M class is certainly better. But S class is better still. If you are going to experiment with room location, try it on S class first would be my recommendation.

Thank you: will definitely keep the S class benefits in mind. I wish there was an S class that did shorter 5 day sailings, as we both work and it's easier to get time off for those on shorter notice, but would love to try a bigger ship in 2016

Maybe someone will know of an amusement park ride that would simulate that kind of motion. In the meantime, as others have advised, your best bet is to book a cabin that is low and mid-ship.

Ha....I can probably answer the amusement park question: we're at Disney all the time and he can't do the coasters or anything with really strong start/stop jerking motion...gets almost migraine level headaches. It's exactly the same outcome he gets when going on a snorkeling boat or bobbing in a lifejacket on the water for a long time. As you suggested, I definitely don't regret staying conservative this time with the level 2 midship because I know we'll have a great trip. But those last min guarantee deals seem soooo sweet! Oh well...I'd rather have him with me at higher rates than snag a great deal without him. :)

But if you do have that chance on your upcoming cruise then just head to the sky lounge at the front of the ship or the aft bar. Will do.

As others have said there are prescription drugs for sea sickness your husband can try if the OTC meds and herbal remedies haven't helped. But if you go that route make sure he tries the meds for a couple day period several weeks in advance of your cruise. Some of these have side effects that can be worse than the sea sickness, and even mistaken for sea sickness, and one wouldn't want to discover if they suffer the side effects while taking the medicine for the first time during a cruise.

Thank you for that advice. His doc specifically said the side effects weren't bad at all - minor if anything. But really he has no way of knowing that for sure. Makes no sense to take the chance without testing them first.

Edited by Flafun888

Thank you: definitely saving this thread with everyone's advice. Hopefully, late Feb en route to Mexico won't have rough seas, but one never knows. Even if the waters are calm, we'll still check out the specific decks and bars/areas everyone here has recommended, just to feel the diff vs lower levels.

Appreciate all who chimed in with suggestions...

As was mentioned, Sky Lounge on a rough day is a great place to test.

My husband is very sensitive to motion. He wears the scopolamine patch and he has no problems now.

In fact, we just finished a 14 nighter on the 12th deck. Granted it wasn't a rough cruise, but he did well.

I suffer from pretty bad sea/car sickness. I went on a whale watching trip in Boston a few years ago and was horribly sick. Other small boats and buses have had the same result...I've been physically ill from it. I've given up on amusement park rides in general.

However, I've never had a problem on a cruise ship. I've had cabins all the way at the front and far aft. When the seas get rough I can definitely feel it, but it's a different feeling than the small boats/buses, rides. I feel a little uneasy, but not like I'm going to get ill. Even then it's only when the seas are extremely rough and usually doesn't last long.

One option would also be to ask the ship when you're on board. Tell them you'd like to try a higher level or forward cabin, but are concerned with your husband's sea sickness. Maybe there's an empty cabin they'd let you try out.

You could also post on your roll call - someone may offer their cabin.

My husband is very sensitive to motion. He wears the scopolamine patch and he has no problems now.

In fact, we just finished a 14 nighter on the 12th deck. Granted it wasn't a rough cruise, but he did well.

Sky lounge is fine...just don't sit in the middle of the ship...sit on the side if you want to do the best test.

If you are going to wear the scopolamine patch, please try it before you leave for the cruise. Some have pretty severe reactions to that patch and you want to know how it effects you before you need it. The same applies to most pills that you take for the first time on a cruise/trip....even bonine/dramamine. Try before you leave....

Sky is definitely on my list. Thanks

I suffer from pretty bad sea/car sickness. I went on a whale watching trip in Boston a few years ago and was horribly sick. Other small boats and buses have had the same result...I've been physically ill from it. I've given up on amusement park rides in general.

However, I've never had a problem on a cruise ship. I've had cabins all the way at the front and far aft. When the seas get rough I can definitely feel it, but it's a different feeling than the small boats/buses, rides. I feel a little uneasy, but not like I'm going to get ill. Even then it's only when the seas are extremely rough and usually doesn't last long.

One option would also be to ask the ship when you're on board. Tell them you'd like to try a higher level or forward cabin, but are concerned with your husband's sea sickness. Maybe there's an empty cabin they'd let you try out.

You could also post on your roll call - someone may offer their cabin.

You sound just like him! He can't do any roller coasters/high motion rides, used to get carsick (but not anymore) and we definitely can't book any off-shore snorkeling excursions even in calm waters :( Yet he's cruised at least 5 or 6 times as a teenager going with his friends and had zero problems (drinking heavily the entire time to boot!).

I highly doubt any of them selected a midship cabin location...they probably grabbed the cheapest party ship bookings they could find last min. That's why I have hope that he'll be okay and we can get a bit more adventurous next time. But it's so weird how some motion/boats will affect a person; yet others don't.

Thanks for your input!

Sky lounge is fine...just don't sit in the middle of the ship...sit on the side if you want to do the best test.

If you are going to wear the scopolamine patch, please try it before you leave for the cruise. Some have pretty severe reactions to that patch and you want to know how it effects you before you need it. The same applies to most pills that you take for the first time on a cruise/trip....even bonine/dramamine. Try before you leave....

Amen to that...I just texted him at work this morning, reminding him to pick up the rx IN ADVANCE so he can test it out (He's definitely not the planner in the family lol.) Hoping he won't need it this trip, since we already have the drink package and you can't drink on meds - or so I'm told. He doesn't drink much these days: just a glass or two of wine and maybe a cocktail the whole day, but would be a shame if he had to abstain completely. I guess that'll be a consideration on future cruises: probably will choose obc over drink pkg on a more adventurous cabin booking, just in case.

Check one of the many drug interaction web sites. In many, if not most cases, you will find an interaction between alcohol and one or more of your drugs, but the interaction says "may cause". Also, you can ask your doctor about the risks of enjoying a glass of wine, etc.

There are very few drugs, in my experience where you can't take alcohol while on the drug. There are many where there is a (small) risk of interaction.

Check one of the many drug interaction web sites. In many, if not most cases, you will find an interaction between alcohol and one or more of your drugs, but the interaction says "may cause". Also, you can ask your doctor about the risks of enjoying a glass of wine, etc.

There are very few drugs, in my experience where you can't take alcohol while on the drug. There are many where there is a (small) risk of interaction.

True. Think we'll do some "research" before we leave with the rx and some wine sometime in the next couple of weeks. :)

Excellent advice.

I am one of the many who got very bad side effects from the scopolamine patch, including my eyes getting messed up, which was the most frightening.

I did not realize that was the cause and went to see the ship's doctor, who knew immediately and told me to take the patch off and never wear it again.

Now I really prefer to stick with non-medicinal preventatives for seasickness, especially when consuming alcoholic beverages.

In heavy seas, I put on the Reliefbands, which always work, but most of the time the regular seabands are good enough.. I put them on as soon as I start to feel any motion, just as a precaution.

I agree with trying out the meds first. I did not have an issue with the patch years ago when I tried it, but it also never worked for me. I rely on meclizine (Bonine), at usual doses when seas are just a bit rocky, or higher dosages (doctor approved) when the seas are bad. I also found that original Dramamine works better than meclizine (Dramamine II or Bonine) but it makes you more drowsy. If the seas are bad I also take ginger (which has blood thinning properties so should not be taken by some people). Besides that, the usual advice of limiting alcohol and greasy foods, but keeping something (bland) in your stomach at all times. Never tried the green apples but sailors swear by them.

It is also very important to start taking the meds the day before you board the ship, or no later than that morning. It is much easier to prevent sea sickness than to cure it. If the seas are calm, you can always stop taking it. I can't speak for the patch, but for the usual OTC meds unless you have other medical issues you can handle a drink or two here or there. You may feel more sleepy, but it is not harmful. More than a couple? Can't speak to that.

There are also websites you can look at that will tell you the wave height predictions for the upcoming few days. I don't recall the exact names, but you can do a web search. You can look at those right before you leave and get an idea of how the cruise will go. I have sailed western Caribbean many times, mostly in the early spring, and have had seas calm as glass and seas up to 30' (that was very rare, but can happen).

Never knew about checking wave height predictions...interesting. Seas up to 30'? Yikes. If I were sailing alone, I'd be fine...I'm the nutjob who does the upside down, craziest thrill rides 10x in a row (after eating a full meal) :), but couldn't even begin to imagine how terrible that would be for my DH. He'd be so miserable. Sure am keeping fingers crossed for calmer...at least for our first cruise!