Sourdough car rental Skagway

Bizziecruzer

Last month the I received an email back from them that they would not accept reservations until April. So maybe January is clean up time for them? Renewals of domain and website updates?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Hi - you wouldn't by chance still have the email address? I could then email them. We are from Australia and the time difference adds an extra obstacle to contacting them. If you have the address, could you please provide it? Thanks

Looks like they did not pay their website domain bills.... the domain has been taken over on Jan 12 by a domain reseller.

Domain Name: SOURDOUGHRENTALS.COM

Registrar: TUCOWS DOMAINS INC.

Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 69

Whois Server: whois.tucows.com

Referral URL: http://www.tucowsdomains.com

Name Server: NS1.RENEWYOURNAME.NET

Name Server: NS2.RENEWYOURNAME.NET

Updated Date: 12-jan-2015

Creation Date: 08-jan-2010

Expiration Date: 08-jan-2016

Got some contact info from another site...

http://skagwayshoretours.com/getting-around/sourdough-rentals/

Hi - you wouldn't by chance still have the email address? I could then email them. We are from Australia and the time difference adds an extra obstacle to contacting them. If you have the address, could you please provide it? Thanks

Why don't you get an AVIS reservation in the meantime? Far nicer cars is one plus. :) Then at least you have something while waiting for responses. Easy to cancel if your plans change.

Why don't you get an AVIS reservation in the meantime? Far nicer cars is one plus. :) Then at least you have something while waiting for responses. Easy to cancel if your plans change.

Thanks - I have done that;) as I couldn't contact Sourdough. I will keep trying though to see if I can link up with them. Thanks

• 1 month later...
Last month the I received an email back from them that they would not accept reservations until April. So maybe January is clean up time for them? Renewals of domain and website updates?

I spoke with Carey at Sourdough Rentals today.

He said that he was in California recovering from hip surgery and that he would be back in Ak. by the end of March and to contact him after April 1.

Also said that he had someone looking into the web site but that he might need to start all over on that.

I spoke with Carey at Sourdough Rentals today.

He said that he was in California recovering from hip surgery and that he would be back in Ak. by the end of March and to contact him after April 1.

Also said that he had someone looking into the web site but that he might need to start all over on that.

My husband also wants to use Sourdough. He was also told to wait till after April 1st. I want him to reserve a vehicle with Avis. He heard a lot of good things on reviews he's read somewhere. He doesn't do Cruise Critic.

Why do you prefer to use them instead of Avis if I may ask?

Thank you,

Gloria

My husband also wants to use Sourdough. He was also told to wait till after April 1st. I want him to reserve a vehicle with Avis. He heard a lot of good things on reviews he's read somewhere. He doesn't do Cruise Critic.

Why do you prefer to use them instead of Avis if I may ask?

Thank you,

Gloria

I suppose price and expectations.

Avis does provide "New" cars to their clients. Being the only national car rental place in town ... they do not have any incentive to be more competitive in their pricing.

Sourdough provides cars that are gently worn and a few years old. I drive that kind of car every day ... that might even be a comfort zone. I also like helping out a local company vs. a national chain. Kind of a " Buy America " feel.

As for pricing ... Avis wanted $140 + taxes and fees for a mid size vehicle ...$200+ for a van

Sourdough wanted $80 with taxes and fees included ... $120 for a van

Avis does provide "New" cars to their clients. Being the only national car rental place in town ... they do not have any incentive to be more competitive in their pricing.

Sourdough provides cars that are gently worn and a few years old. I drive that kind of car every day ... that might even be a comfort zone. I also like helping out a local company vs. a national chain. Kind of a " Buy America " feel.

As for pricing ... Avis wanted $140 + taxes and fees for a mid size vehicle ...$200+ for a van

Have you rented from both vendors?

I have and in my case, I had more than a "gently worn" car, that wasn't maintained. A Taurus that didn't even get 10mpg. Got a shrug when I reported this. This was a few years ago, a second rental car (no other choice, choice since Avis was already closed), wasn't there when I went to pickup. I was delayed and given a personal car that was not clean. I have rented from Avis over 10 times and always had well maintained cars and accurate reservations.

If you have rented from both, especially if last year, an update would be informative.

I have and in my case, I had more than a "gently worn" car, that wasn't maintained. A Taurus that didn't even get 10mpg. Got a shrug when I reported this. This was a few years ago, a second rental car (no other choice, choice since Avis was already closed), wasn't there when I went to pickup. I was delayed and given a personal car that was not clean. I have rented from Avis over 10 times and always had well maintained cars and accurate reservations.

If you have rented from both, especially if last year, an update would be informative.

While this was several years ago - we rented from Avis but seemed to stop at all the stops with someone who rented with Sourdough. They were also given a "personal car" which was a filthy sedan because the car that was reserved wasn't available. It looked awful. We joked with them that because we kept running into them, if their car broke down, we would drive them back to Skagway.

Our brand new Camry from Avis worked like a champ.

I would never rent with Sourdough. The couple we ran into had nothing positive to say. I think they were glad their car didn't break during the drive to Canada.

Do yourself a favor and go with Avis. The last thing you want is your car to break down and ruin your day. Peace of mind and safety is worth the extra few dollars.

+1. We booked with Sourdough only because Avis was all booked up. Plus they don't have a van to sit all 8 of us. I was always wondering when our Durango would break down on our way to the Emerald lake.

Well Budget Queen

I have never been to Alaska nor used either of these establishments.

I have no doubts that renting from a national chain like Avis will provide a clean and new vehicle not in need of any maintenance. So they were not interested in the gas mileage … well if it started off full and you returned it full … they could care less what the MPG is.. With the second rental I think there should not be a complaint because without them you would not have gone anywhere because Avis was not even open … but maybe you could of used the company that rents jeeps.. I think that if the owner provided you with his personal car so that you could go he went the extra mile to help you out. If I did not know that I was going to share my car I might not keep it in pristine cleanliness either.

Most of my considerations are from cruise critic, tripadvisor and Yelp. Personal reviews normally are very good. I have read many of your comments and know that you are extremely knowledgeable about Alaska. I did not see any reviews about Sourdough for the ’14 season. I saw a number of yelp reviews from ’13 that were positive. There seemed to be some negative reviews for the ’11 season about a couple of wreck cars that were unavailable. Sometimes a deal just does not work out. Tell that to someone who missed a port due to weather.

I think that Sourdough provides a service at a price that many can handle.

I did not hear of a single review where the renter did not get back to town.

Even so .. I did see some comments where if one did break down on the only road to town that someone would always get them back.

Well Budget Queen

I have never been to Alaska nor used either of these establishments.

I have no doubts that renting from a national chain like Avis will provide a clean and new vehicle not in need of any maintenance. So they were not interested in the gas mileage … well if it started off full and you returned it full … they could care less what the MPG is.. With the second rental I think there should not be a complaint because without them you would not have gone anywhere because Avis was not even open … but maybe you could of used the company that rents jeeps.. I think that if the owner provided you with his personal car so that you could go he went the extra mile to help you out. If I did not know that I was going to share my car I might not keep it in pristine cleanliness either.

Most of my considerations are from cruise critic, tripadvisor and Yelp. Personal reviews normally are very good. I have read many of your comments and know that you are extremely knowledgeable about Alaska. I did not see any reviews about Sourdough for the ’14 season. I saw a number of yelp reviews from ’13 that were positive. There seemed to be some negative reviews for the ’11 season about a couple of wreck cars that were unavailable. Sometimes a deal just does not work out. Tell that to someone who missed a port due to weather.

I think that Sourdough provides a service at a price that many can handle.

I did not hear of a single review where the renter did not get back to town.

Even so .. I did see some comments where if one did break down on the only road to town that someone would always get them back.

My points are from first hand information. The milage, indicates something very wrong with the car. They should have been very concerned. This car normally gets over twice that mpg. The gas gage did indicate, full when picked up. The over an hour wait and getting a personal car, tells me, poor business practice and sloppy management.

Green Jeep is the newest company to open in Skagway, and wasn't in business when I had the rental with Sourdough.

Your response was very vague if it was or was not first hand. For some, comparisons, frankly, you have to have experience with both, in my opinion.

My points are from first hand information. The milage, indicates something very wrong with the car. They should have been very concerned. This car normally gets over twice that mpg. The gas gage did indicate, full when picked up. The over an hour wait and getting a personal car, tells me, poor business practice and sloppy management.

Green Jeep is the newest company to open in Skagway, and wasn't in business when I had the rental with Sourdough.

Your response was very vague if it was or was not first hand. For some, comparisons, frankly, you have to have experience with both, in my opinion.

Absolutely I can tell that your your experiences are first hand knowledge. Perhaps that “Gently Worn” vehicle had a malfunctioning gas gauge. I know that on some cars that you can drive 60 miles and the gauge does not move then whamo it drops like a rock. If the hour wait was for a previously reserved car then for sure scheduling on their part is lacking. I thought that you meant that Avis was closed and the Sourdough company was out of vehicles and then provided their own personal car so you could have your excursion.

As I indicated earlier, I have never been to Alaska therefore no firsthand experience here. . My Bucket List is going to places I have not been therefore I can only use reviews by others.

It might be a good indication that Sourdough has been in operation for an extended period of time and still in business . Bad reviews can sink an operation in a heartbeat. I also like giving the local a chance. Apparently you have given them that chance and found them lacking. Have you given them a bad review in the past?

Absolutely I can tell that your your experiences are first hand knowledge. Perhaps that “Gently Worn” vehicle had a malfunctioning gas gauge. I know that on some cars that you can drive 60 miles and the gauge does not move then whamo it drops like a rock. If the hour wait was for a previously reserved car then for sure scheduling on their part is lacking. I thought that you meant that Avis was closed and the Sourdough company was out of vehicles and then provided their own personal car so you could have your excursion.

As I indicated earlier, I have never been to Alaska therefore no firsthand experience here. . My Bucket List is going to places I have not been therefore I can only use reviews by others.

It might be a good indication that Sourdough has been in operation for an extended period of time and still in business . Bad reviews can sink an operation in a heartbeat. I also like giving the local a chance. Apparently you have given them that chance and found them lacking. Have you given them a bad review in the past?

I had a reservation both times. This company has gone through changes of ownershhip with keeping the same name, within a family. Finally as I said- I know how many miles I drove and that my fill ups were excessive and came out to about 10mpg. Nothing to do with a faulty gage.

Hopefully the reorganized management has firmed up their business practices.

Edited by Budget Queen

because that was the largest vehicle available. Some of the reviews were making me nervous. DH didn't seem to care once I did it, but said he really wanted a Suburban or Escalade size vehicle. I doubt Sourdough will have that type vehicle either, but he's going to check in April.

I think he's going to have a rude awakening with the cost of gas. I, now, feel relieved.

Gloria

because that was the largest vehicle available. Some of the reviews were making me nervous. DH didn't seem to care once I did it, but said he really wanted a Suburban or Escalade size vehicle. I doubt Sourdough will have that type vehicle either, but he's going to check in April.

I think he's going to have a rude awakening with the cost of gas. I, now, feel relieved.

Gloria

From what I have read I do not think that they have the SUV you are looking for. Probably the best they have is some kind of minivan. They do not sound like the Escalade type of organization. The price of gas is the same regardless of being Sourdough or Avis. SUV run 15-18 MPG regardless of who you rent from.