WW Here I come AGAIN!!!

Set to go

Has anyone ever brought some pre-packaged WW smoothies on a cruise and asked a bartender to whip it up with some ice and water? I'm wondering if they would do it.

I try to avoid WW smoothies but for what it's worth, my family brought our Magic Bullet with us on our last cruise and blended our shakes right in the room... it was great!

Well said chief... my wife is also a lifetime WW member and it's the same pattern. As a sports nutritionist specializing in aggressive weight loss,I see it a lot. Not to mention, I experienced it too...I'm my own worst enemy. I am VERY successful at helping people to lose weight but don't take my own advice...lol:rolleyes:

You hit it when you said, "macro-nutrient goal". Most people count calories and forget the most important thing... nutrition. With WW, as you lose the weight, you also lose a lot of valuable muscle which lowers the rate at which you burn calories. So after you lose all the weight, your body burns calories at a lower rate so as soon as you indulge for any length of time, you "rebound".

So do you have any advice on how to ensure the weight doesn't go back on? If I stayed with WW would that keep the weight down?

So do you have any advice on how to ensure the weight doesn't go back on? If I stayed with WW would that keep the weight down?

My wife and I just never found WW to be a lifestyle that suited how we wanted to live our lives. We all need to find a lifestyle that suits who we are and allows us the freedom to be happy. It doesn't mean buffets every day but it also shouldn't mean counting my calories.

Scientifically, the first rule of weight loss and weight management is "you need your muscle". When you reduce your calories, you typically reduce your nutrients to a level that will not sustain your muscle and so, you lose it. Don't get me wrong, you'll feel great compared to 50lbs ago but, your body will now be burning calories at a slower rate (muscle burns calories...even at rest). Here is a scenario I think we'll all appreciate...

Let's say we have a set of twins... A & B and they both need to lose exactly the same amount of weight. Twin A uses WW or calorie counting and loses 50lbs while twin B decided not to lose any weight. So they go on their cruise and eat and drink exactly the same things. During the cruise, twin A gains back 10lbs but twin B only gains 4lbs...why?... read the previous paragraph again.

It's even worse for those reaching their 50's... they will now start losing muscle as a result of sarcopenia (muscle loss due to aging).

Keeping the weight off really comes down to two things...

1. Losing it in a way that maintains your muscle mass
  2. Finding a lifestyle that both makes you happy AND is somewhat responsible (I use 80% healthy and 20% swing for the fences)

I follow a program that checks those boxes for me. Have you ever considered intermittent fasting? VERY healthy, very effective.

• 2 weeks later...

Breakfast in the solarium is great with turkey bacon, sausage, scrambled egg whites, fruit, and oatmeal. Of course not all at once. :-). Johnny Rockets has a boca patty, scrambled egg whites and an English muffin...ask for spray oil (PAM) to be used scrambling.

And, BTW, the bartender at the solarium bar mixed up my smoothee, no problem. I tipped him a buck anyway, but he wasn't expecting it. Made for a great treat at three in the afternoon...avoiding the ice cream machine. He even asked if I wanted him to put a shot of rum in my coconut smoothee!

Breakfast in the solarium is great with turkey bacon, sausage, scrambled egg whites, fruit, and oatmeal. Of course not all at once. :-). Johnny Rockets has a boca patty, scrambled egg whites and an English muffin...ask for spray oil (PAM) to be used scrambling.

And, BTW, the bartender at the solarium bar mixed up my smoothee, no problem. I tipped him a buck anyway, but he wasn't expecting it. Made for a great treat at three in the afternoon...avoiding the ice cream machine. He even asked if I wanted him to put a shot of rum in my coconut smoothee!

Coconut smoothie sounds AWESOME! Oh man, I'm just dying to cruise.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Just came across this thread. I joined WW in 2012. In 2013 I lost 80 lbs and became lifetime. Since then I have not missed a weekly weigh in and have maintained the loss. I use the tracking method to stay on plan. When on a cruise I am careful eating, but I do like to have some drinks, which I normally do not do at home. I use the gym on the ships and use the stairs most of the time. If I gain a little weight on a cruise, I do not get upset because I know once back home, if you follow the program it works.

Charlie.

• 4 weeks later...
DH and I have been on the program 14 weeks, doing smart points plan since the first week It was introduced. I love the new emphasis on healthy choice. Tonight at the meeting I made my 10%. DH should make his 10% next week or the next.

Thats amazing! I am 8 pounds down in 4 weeks so am really happy with it.I prefer it to pro points (points plus).Its more like the original plan I think.I found 49 pps gave me too much freedom to eat junk 😈

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I joined WW in early November 2015 following a three week cruise to the Middle East. I saw a photo of myself on a camel and thought, 'poor camel'.

I find the plan very doable. I have not felt as if I am depriving myself. It was an adjustment getting back on the treadmill. Previously I only exercised if it was nice enough to go outside and walk or rake leaves etc.

I am on maintenance now. On a 7 day cruise in January I did not gain weight and did not miss any of the heavier type foods. I ate what treat foods I really wanted and enjoyed. I exercised daily and NEVER took the elevator. Actually I lost a bit there.

I recommend the program as a healthy lifestyle. I am 58 and the weight came off regularly and slowly. For me it is a great education (reminder?) in whats really good for me. I have a personal coach (online program) who is very knowledgeable supportive and helpful to me.

Hope this answers some questions.

Hi Everybody,

I'm not really a poster but I read the forums a lot. Even though you have no idea who I am, I feel like I know you :p

I'm getting married in Vegas in November and then having our honeymoon on the Freedom of the Seas!

I'm above the weight limit for some of the excursions my fiancé wants to do, so right now my goal is just to get below the weight limit and build up my fitness enough to enjoy the activities on the cruise. I have 0 stamina and get tired easily, and I get tired and sore I get unbelievably grumpy.... To put it nicely.

I joined WW in January and so far so good. I've lost a little over 6 kilos and with the app on my iPhone I find the program very easy to follow.

Ok sorry for the long post! Look forward to seeing everyone's successes!

Isabel

Hi Barbjd & Violetmoon,

Thanks for the replies. I agree, and can see it's better to view it as a lifestyle change vs. diet plan. It's also comforting to know that you did not gain any weight while cruising, Brabjd.

Violetmoon, I think starting now allows enough time so that you're meeting goal by November. Congrats on your upcoming marriage and weight already lost. :)

I am still in the planning stages of my cruise, so I dk when I will be going, but I am already thinking about the food issue since I just (re)started WW the day after Valentine's day. I am already down 5.5 lbs, which is huge for me. I am usually a very slow loser. I'm doing the online version, and so far, it is ok. I am loving the new plan. I use those little colored peppers and fruit as snacks. I find that if I make one meal a day a really low-point meal, the rest of the day is no problem. For me, that means either tuna with lemon, celery, and chopped pickles or my favorite breakfast, cut up apple, orange, and a serving of plain fat-free greek yogurt. It's like dessert to me.

I would love it if anyone has any other easy and low-point ideas.:)

• 1 month later...

Just joined weight watchers today. I think the smart points program will work well for me. I never eat fruit or veggies (unless they are in a pie) so that will be my downfall if I let it. Saw some pics taken on my cruise and let's just say I was less than impressed. My husband is doing it also. I'm not sure how smart points is that different than their old point system. I read up on both and decided to do smart points. Has anyone here had experience with both ways?

Just joined weight watchers today. I think the smart points program will work well for me. I never eat fruit or veggies (unless they are in a pie) so that will be my downfall if I let it. Saw some pics taken on my cruise and let's just say I was less than impressed. My husband is doing it also. I'm not sure how smart points is that different than their old point system. I read up on both and decided to do smart points. Has anyone here had experience with both ways?

Smart Points takes into account the sugar in foods whereas the old pro points system didn't. Also, your weekly points are unique to you now, instead of being the same for everyone.

I recently joined WW as well, I go for my 3rd weigh in on Tuesday. I find that their scale is invaluable, and I stocked up measuring cups and spoons at the dollar store. Portion control had been my issue. Salad in a jar is also a saving for me so I can grab and go. I have a long journey, but I am moving forward on this journey.

I recently joined WW as well, I go for my 3rd weigh in on Tuesday. I find that their scale is invaluable, and I stocked up measuring cups and spoons at the dollar store. Portion control had been my issue. Salad in a jar is also a saving for me so I can grab and go. I have a long journey, but I am moving forward on this journey.

That's good planning! I also use multiple measuring cups, etc. I also use a kitchen scale. I have 30 daily points and am finding that is more than I need. I am averaging about 23 daily now. After the 3rd day of starting I am just not hungray enough to eat that many. I am hoping this won't derail me. The extra 35 points you get weekly are too many also unless I went out to eat. Anyway, I'll keep chugging along and hope not eating quite enough won't be a problem. Good luck!

I am still in the planning stages of my cruise, so I dk when I will be going, but I am already thinking about the food issue since I just (re)started WW the day after Valentine's day. I am already down 5.5 lbs, which is huge for me. I am usually a very slow loser. I'm doing the online version, and so far, it is ok. I am loving the new plan. I use those little colored peppers and fruit as snacks. I find that if I make one meal a day a really low-point meal, the rest of the day is no problem. For me, that means either tuna with lemon, celery, and chopped pickles or my favorite breakfast, cut up apple, orange, and a serving of plain fat-free greek yogurt. It's like dessert to me.

I would love it if anyone has any other easy and low-point ideas.:)

Just back from 10 day eastern Caribbean cruise (5th cruise since Dec). I'm a lifetime member at goal for 3 years. You can cruise and enjoy yourself. I plan my meals, make my own grilled chicken salad in the buffet, exercise in the gym, use the stairs instead of elevator. In all my cruising my goal was to stay in my lifetime goal range (+/- 2 lbs) and have been able to do it. I did also have treats, both solid and liquid, in moderation.