Stockholm walking tours/princess excursion

Doglover48

I will be on a cruise in July on the Regal and had a question about Stockholm and walking tours. The excursions princess provides don't interest me. They do provide a bus($65pp) into Stockholm and leaves you at city center. However, I'm not into wondering aimlessly for hours with my mom. I've been checking private guides and walking tours but wanted to know if anyone has done this. Or, has been dropped off in" city center". Was it easy to walk around? Trying to keep costs down as well since the other excursions, Berlin and st. Petersburg, are so expensive. Any advie or steering me in the right direction would be great!

If I am not mistaken, and the folks who live in Stockholm can verify this, but City Center is pretty close to Gamla Stan, and the Royal Palace. It would be very easy to walk to these great attractions. If you wanted to get to the Vasa Museum (and you most definitely should) you will need some sort of public transportation, which isn't very hard to do.

If you wanted to do a private tour, I am pretty sure that most of the tour companies that do tours in St Petersburg and Berlin, also do tours in Stockholm etc. Myself, tours for this city are basically useless as Vasa has it's own tour guides, and the adventure of Gamla Stan is wandering around on your own, finding wonderful little shops, restaurants and just exploring this area. Also, if you want to see the Changing of the Guard ceremony, at the palace, again, no tour is needed for this. Just show up, find a spot and watch.

Where is your ship docking. If it is NOT in Stockholm, you will need transportation to get to Stockholm, and many people use that ship's excursion just to get them to the city and to take them back to the ship. If you dock some where IN Stockholm, go and see it on your own. It is very easy.

Cheers

Len

I have done any walking tours, but Stockholm is in general quite easy to walk round in as it is mostly flat.

Gamla Stan is a little elevated and so is Södermalm.

I am not sure, but I think the shuttle will drop you off at Gustav Adols Torg.

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Gustav+Adolfs+torg,+111+52+Stockholm/@59.3295824,18.0689236,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x465f9d592b1ea0f9:0x176a9389341bf386

If you want to get good views of the city, you could walk to Monteliusvägen or Katarinavägen/fjällgatan.

Monteliusvägen

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Monteliusv%C3%A4gen,+Stockholm/@59.3229877,18.0615275,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x465f77e40321a191:0x6cc322490634b1d3

Katarinavägen/Fjällgatan.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/Katarinav%C3%A4gen,+Stockholm/Fj%C3%A4llgatan,+116+28+Stockholm/@59.3229849,18.0774031,15z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77fc87ea72b1:0x7d41a55ff9ffff64!2m2!1d18.0765484!2d59.3188526!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77f898d3ce63:0xd474594c7295e9f!2m2!1d18.0861757!2d59.3173183!3e2

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to keep investigating. The walk does seem pretty easy but I will be traveling with my 70 year old mom. She needs a plan or she will be very stressed. Then I'm stressed. And, well you know how it goes! Loll! Going to look for a good map and plan from there.

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to keep investigating. The walk does seem pretty easy but I will be traveling with my 70 year old mom. She needs a plan or she will be very stressed. Then I'm stressed. And, well you know how it goes! Loll! Going to look for a good map and plan from there.

Once again, do you know where your ship is docking when you go to Stockholm. That may make all the difference in the world as to how you want to see this city?

Chewers

Len

cansas.. Thanks! for the info

yes, we will be docked in Nynäshamn. Hence, the reason we will be using the Princess excursion bus ($65) to travel back and forth. Then we have 5 1/2 hours in the old town to investigate.

Thanks for the helpful advice!

We walked around Galma Stan, and used public transportation to get around the city of Stockholm. The public transportation system in Stockholm is excellent. We docked directly in Stockholm, but my understanding from reading other Royal/Regal Princess cruise reviews is that the public commuter train from Nynäshamn to Stockholm is very efficient, and close to the port. If you are concerned about saving money, you might want to price out taking that train instead of the ship transfer.

We traveled with our 3 year old, and found Stockholm to be a very manageable city to explore independently even with a toddler in tow. Most of our time was spent at museums and taking trains, trams and buses in between them, but I'm sure you can also have a very enjoyable day just walking around Galma Stan. I would strongly encourage you to consider visiting Vasa in addition to a walking tour of Galma Stan, as this was a really spectacular museum. It could be logistically challenging though, since it gets crowded later in the day and I don't know how early you would be able to reach Stockholm.

Edited by kitkat343

cansas.. Thanks! for the info

yes, we will be docked in Nynäshamn. Hence, the reason we will be using the Princess excursion bus ($65) to travel back and forth. Then we have 5 1/2 hours in the old town to investigate.

Thanks for the helpful advice!

Taking the Princess excursion should be your main choice. It will get you to Stockholm as quickly as possible, you'll be one of the first off the ship and you will know you have transportation right back to the ship. The price you quoted does seem a bit high for just a basic bus to and from Stockholm, but that's the way it is when your ship docks a hour away from Stockholm instead of directly in it.

Again, if you do this particular excursion, you will be fine where the bus will deposit you. You won't be gar from Gamla Stan, the Royal Palace and several other attractions. As was said, if you do want to go to the Vasa Museum, you will need some other form of transportation to get there and then back to where the bus will meet for your return trip to the ship. If may sound harder than it is as transportation in Stockholm is fairly simple.

Cheers

Len

• 1 month later...

We are on the Regal in September and tendering in Nynashamn. The problem with the Princess transfer to Stockholm is that although we get to Nynashamn at 7am, the transfer doesn't leave until 9:45am! That basically wastes the entire morning, considering the ride takes an hour. So we will either take the train or do an excursion that leaves from Nyn with SBP or Alla, which will make much better use of our time. If it weren't for that, I would consider the Princess transfer.

Wow pompeii - I would never have imagined the bus would leave so late! Expensive and inconvenient is a very bad combination.

Isn't that crazy? Coming back would be perfect, it doesn't leave Stockholm for Nynashamn until 5:15, which pushes it about as late as possible for a 6:30 all aboard. I guess they figure the average passenger doesn't want more time than 6 hours to wander around.

They do have an excursion that leaves at 7:45, and goes to the Vasa Museum and then free time in Gamla Stan. But it leaves to return at 3:45, which is pretty early. You'd be back to Nynashamn 1.5 hours earlier than necessary. It costs $129.

• 3 weeks later...
Isn't that crazy? Coming back would be perfect, it doesn't leave Stockholm for Nynashamn until 5:15, which pushes it about as late as possible for a 6:30 all aboard. I guess they figure the average passenger doesn't want more time than 6 hours to wander around.

They do have an excursion that leaves at 7:45, and goes to the Vasa Museum and then free time in Gamla Stan. But it leaves to return at 3:45, which is pretty early. You'd be back to Nynashamn 1.5 hours earlier than necessary. It costs $129.

100% agree with you! We are also looking at options from Nynäshamn to Stockholm and couldn't believe the transfer offers by Princess doesn't leave until 9:45! We are considering taking the excursion from SPB @ $115/pp or taking a train ourselves.

• 4 weeks later...

How do I get from the cruise ship pier to the train/bus station in Nynäshamn?

A local shuttle bus runs in the morning and afternoon. Tickets are 30 SEK and can be bought from the Tourist Information Office by the cruise ship pier. The tickets are valid the whole day. Walking takes about 10-15 minutes (1,3 km); follow the blue line on the pavement.

You can see a map here: http://kartor.eniro.se/m/sdZWT

Please note that this bus is not in any way related to the 24 hour ticket/card or Stockholm Public Transport.

How often do the trains run between Nynäshamn and Stockholm Central Station?

Twice per hour.

From Nynäshamn: 20 and 50 minutes past every hour.

From Stockholm Central station: 4 and 34 minutes past every hour.

See the attached pdf-file for more information and time table.

You can see a map with the train line and the bus line (in blue) here:

http://kartor.eniro.se/m/etS3q

You can see a map with only the train line (in blue) here: http://kartor.eniro.se/m/inOTw

You can see a map with the bus line and the subway station at Gullmarsplan (in blue) here: http://kartor.eniro.se/m/DaFFH

22nd of June-2nd of August

During this period bus number 35X will transport passengers between Nynäshamn and Västerhaninge due to work on the tracks. The bus will depart 20 and 50 minutes past every hour. You will arrive at Västerhaninge station where you can change to commuter train towards Stockholm. Please allow 30 minutes extra for this journey.

You can see a map with the bus line from Nynäshamn´s station to Västerhaninge station, and the train to Stockholm Central station here: http://kartor.eniro.se/m/AbpPj

We don´t have the time table for this period yet since it´s not been published by Stockholm Public Transport System. The journey planner, http://sl.se/en/ will be updated in early June.

Where will the train take me?

These are the stations that the train will stop at:

Nynäshamns station, Gröndalsviken, Nynäsgård, Ösmo, Segersäng, Hemfosa, Tungelsta, Krigslida, Västerhaninge, Jordbro, Handen, Skogås, Trångsund, Farsta strand, Älvsjö, Stockholm södra, Stockholms central.

The stations in Stockholm are Stockholm södra and Stockholm central. The central station is the main hub for trains, subways and many buses.

How can I use the travel planner online?

Go to http://sl.se/en/

Now you can see a blue box "Plan your trip". Write "Nyn" in the white box that says "From station/stop/address". Several choices will appear, choose "Nynäshamns station (Nynäshamn)".

Write "Sto" in the white box that says "To station/stop/address". Several choices will appear, choose "Stockholms C (Stockholm)". Then choose among "Depart now", "Depart earliest" or "Arrive at". Choose date and time and then Search.

You can, of course, choose other stations as well. Stockholm C is the central station and a good start for exploring Stockholm.

How long is the train ride to Stockholm?

One hour and six minutes. The train goes directly from Nynäshamn to Stockholm

(no change of train required).

Where can I buy tickets for the train to Stockholm?

In the yellow kiosk by the train station. Foreign currency and credit cards accepted. The best is to use a credit card or SEK because of the exchange rate. We recommend buying a 24-hour ticket/card.

The kiosk is always open when cruise ships are present in Nynäshamn.

What does the 24-hour ticket/card cover?

The 24-hour ticket/card will cover the cost for traveling to Stockholm from Nynäshamn and back as well as using subways, trams, buses and trains in Stockholm. It is issued by Stockholm Public Transport and does not include admission to museums etc.

How much does a 24-hour ticket /card cost?

SEK 115 (full price); SEK 70 (reduced price).

Reduced price = for children and young people under 20 years of age as well as for those over the age of 65.

http://sl.se/en/fares--tickets/

Are there any buses going directly from the cruise ship pier to Stockholm and back?

Yes and no. Strömma will most likely have hop-on hop-off buses during the following dates:

May 11

June 2, 13, 16, 24 and 28

July 5 and 7

August 7, 12 and 29

September 1, 9, 10, 17 and 24

October 1, 8 and 15

The price for a ticket is SEK330. This ticket includes the transfer to Stockholm, a hop-on hop-off tour in Stockholm and the transfer back to Nynäshamn.

There are no discounts for students and seniors. The price for children is SEK100.

Please read more FAQ here: http://www.visitnynashamn.se/en/home/cruise/faq.4.2447cef013e3c1b82892878.html

Rent a car MABI.pdf

Commuter Train and bus Cruise May until 18th of June.pdf

Taxi information 2015.pdf

Nynas, Is the train limited on capacity or will arrangements be made to add cars on days a ship is in port?

There will be no extra cars or buses since the trains have enough capacity.

Just remember:

During the 22nd of June - 2nd of August there will be only buses running between Nynäshamn and Västerhaninge (which is half way to Stockholm).

The buses will drop you off at the train station in Västerhaninge where you will Catch the train to Stockholm. There will be staff there to help you.

• 1 month later...
We are on the Regal in September and tendering in Nynashamn. The problem with the Princess transfer to Stockholm is that although we get to Nynashamn at 7am, the transfer doesn't leave until 9:45am! That basically wastes the entire morning, considering the ride takes an hour. So we will either take the train or do an excursion that leaves from Nyn with SBP or Alla, which will make much better use of our time. If it weren't for that, I would consider the Princess transfer.

I am going in august...what shall I do? rather not hassle with train and I have onboard credit...want to go to old town and then across to see vasa and the open air museum afraid I will run out of time...want to go about 8 and get back by 6...but I may poop out too what if you miss your excursion back???will you have to get back on your own??

Edited by ut88keys

ut88keys, you might need to plan double since there is a chance that your ship will go into Stockholm.

So far both the Britannia and Regal Princess have visited Stockholm this season.

Both ships berthed at Stadsgården S167.

For your cruise the same might happen but it depends on the weather and availability of berths.

Which day are you planned to be in Stockholm?

Edited by Desdichado62

I am going in august...what shall I do? rather not hassle with train and I have onboard credit...want to go to old town and then across to see vasa and the open air museum afraid I will run out of time...want to go about 8 and get back by 6...but I may poop out too what if you miss your excursion back???will you have to get back on your own??

The following days have available berths in Frihamnen or at Stadsgården.

However I don't know if the ship can berth at F638 due to it's size.

So in theory at least, the Regal Princess might be able to berth in Stockholm in any of these days.

24 Jun, F638

5 Jul S167

7 Aug S167

29 Aug F638

9 Sep S167

We walked to Vasa and Skansen (ourdoor open air museum) from Old Town when we were in Stockholm two weeks ago, but it is at least 45 minutes each way. It is a lovely walk, but long and you really need a map (fortunately there were tourist office representatives handing them out). We were on the HAL Eurodam so can't comment on what Princess does.

We walked to Vasa and Skansen (ourdoor open air museum) from Old Town when we were in Stockholm two weeks ago, but it is at least 45 minutes each way. It is a lovely walk, but long and you really need a map (fortunately there were tourist office representatives handing them out). We were on the HAL Eurodam so can't comment on what Princess does.

yes well I have a few disks out ..need to limit the walking