Proving Veteran Status

It would be nice if RCI/Celebrity would give a Veterans/Military OBC like Princess does. Fill out their form and provided them with a copy of your DD214. You only need to do this once so every Cruise you book you automatically get the OBC. Depending on the length of Cruise will determine the OBC. Kudos to Princess.

What does notarized copy mean, there is nowhere on my nearly 50 yo dd214 to sign in front of a notary. Is there a form now? Just used the discount last month, did not need anything notarized

In Florida, a notary, can make a copy of an original document and then certify that it is a true accurate and unaltered copy, made by them, of the original, maybe that's what they are looking for, either the original or a Notorized Copy

In Florida, a notary, can make a copy of an original document and then certify that it is a true accurate and unaltered copy, made by them, of the original, maybe that's what they are looking for, either the original or a Notorized Copy

Makes sense, but how would a notary know the doc was the original?

Check out the information posted on an earlier thread about who is eligible. Note that this discount is only offered on a small percentage of cruises with RC. Other lines, I believe, either offer it on all cruises or many.

I just checked with Royal Caribbean and they told me to check with our travel agent with regard to the Veterans discount, which I did. Not all classes of cabins are eligible for the veteran discount. I was told we could get the veterans discount if we changed the class of our cabin, but we would then lose our onboard credit. It was not worth it to me. For everyone following this post, something we were told just a few months ago, if you have your discharge papers, it was highly suggested that we have the discharge papers recorded with the county clerk's office in the county we reside. We were told that some years ago there was a fire in St. Louis and a lot of military records were destroyed, and if you lose your copy of the paperwork, the military may not have a record of you and it will be as if you never served.

My TA told me that Princess gives you an automatic onboard credit if you are a veteran.

For the retirees, that one's simple. Just carry your military ID.

Or as an disabled Vet, not necessarily retired, carry your tan card. There are other veteran categories also. That little card is all you need. No copies of anything. Always carry that little card, it is also good for discounts elsewhere at restaurants, rental cars, retail, etc.

Rick

This is something new to me. Is this for anybody who has served in the military or is it for retired military? My husband has his discharge papers as well as the state ID card. I'd appreciate a response as we already booked.

A previous poster posted the list a post or two above yours. In it it talks about being retired, but ALSO goes on to say "Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above."

So if your question means that your husband didn't retire; it seems that if he was 2 years or more, OR if he had 6 months in a war zone, then he would qualify.

And so would my brother, which makes me happy, because he says that having 4 years as an officer in the AF (after ROTC) doesn't qualify him for discounts, etc etc. Of course, he has absolutely no interest in cruising, but it's good to know anyway. :)

A previous poster posted the list a post or two above yours. In it it talks about being retired, but ALSO goes on to say "Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above."

So if your question means that your husband didn't retire; it seems that if he was 2 years or more, OR if he had 6 months in a war zone, then he would qualify.

And so would my brother, which makes me happy, because he says that having 4 years as an officer in the AF (after ROTC) doesn't qualify him for discounts, etc etc. Of course, he has absolutely no interest in cruising, but it's good to know anyway. :)

Thanks...my husband does qualify, but we are not using the veteran benefit on this cruise as it would void out the other benefits we have. It's only taken us about 40 years to find out he is entitled to this benefit. We always thought it was for "retired" military. We do get that 10% discount at the hardware stores though. :)

To bring this thread full circle: If you have asked for the military discount, please bring any paperwork, IDs, etc. that you need to prove it. For those of you who say you never had to prove anything, be aware that statements like this lead others (who may not be as honest as you) to claim the same status counting on not having to prove it at check-in.

RCI used to offer a more generous military discount program. In the past we were able to combine it with C & A discounts, OBC, and more. I suspect that the cutbacks are directly linked to people claiming status and reaping the benefits they did not earn.

We have been asked in the past at check-in to provide proof of military service and are happy to do so. We both carry IDS, so it is not a problem. And, yes, we provide these at check-in even when we are not asked to do so.

• 5 months later...
We always thought it was for "retired" military.

So did I. We booked through a travel agent this time and she asked if I was in the military and I said, "Yes, but I'm not active or retired."

She said that it didn't matter as long as I had a DD-214. Saved me $700!

I gave her a copy of the DD-214, but she called me back later and said that RCI wanted at the time of boarding and that it was a new policy.

I wasn't planning on taking the original. It's 25 years old and a bit fragile.

The Florida Statutes provide for a notary public to make a copy of a document and attach a certificate stating that it is a true copy. I'm sure other states have the provision as well. You could probably get it done for free or for a small fee at your county or city records office.

I have official copies for both DH (Navy) and FIL (Army COE) that stay in my travel folder at all times, so I'm prepared.

I have been asked by a RCCL agent if I had a DD214, but while I was getting it out, the agent decided that she didn't want to see it after all.

Strangely enough, the only time I had to actually hand over the DD214 for inspection was at boarding for Carnival, where the DD214 has to be registered at the time of booking.

My FIL was one of the unfortunate veterans affected by the records fire, and his original is tissue-thin, fragile, and quite faded after all these years (Korea). He's much happier to have the official copy.

I also had ordered an official copy from Veteran's services for DH, but by the time it arrived, his mom had come up with the original (I have it now).

Slightly off the subject, but if you take your DD214 to Home Depot or Lowes on Memorial Day, Veterans Day (and I think on 4th of July too), you can get 10% off your purchase. At our local Lowes it turned out that the discount was even good on sale prices - our washer decided to die the week before Memorial Day.

Most importantly... a big thank you and hug to all Veterans for your service!

Wendy

Just to complicate this one more time:

If you've retired or separated in the last few years (not sure exactly when; the ink isn't dry on my 214!), your documents are signed electronically and are "assumed originals". They are also supposed to be posted to your e-benefits account through the VA. Doesn't help if you're a Vietnam era vet or the like, but the current DD 214 is just a computer printed form with your and a witnesses electronic signature; there's nothing to certify or notarize!

(Didn't get a discount on my next cruise, and still have a white card until September, the the world turns blue...)

Hubby is retired with the blue retiree card so using our IDs should be fine as when he was active duty in 2012 he used his CAC military ID card. Markeb is correct the newer DD214 are electronic and whenever my hubby needs a copy he just prints it out.

Just to muddy the waters a bit, here are the requirements from RCI for a non-retired vet:

Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.
Okay. Fine, right?

Now, here in Pennsylvania, one can get a "Veteran" designation of their license. Part 2 of the requirements says:

2. Applicants must have a character of service under conditions other than Dishonorable:

a. Honorable (HD)

b. Under honorable conditions (UHC)

c. General (GD)

(source: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/militaryCenter/veterans-designation.shtml )

So, at least in PA, somebody can get a "Veteran" designation but not meet the requirements set by RCI.

Edited by Tunkhannock
Clarification

. . . If you've retired or separated in the last few years (not sure exactly when; the ink isn't dry on my 214!), your documents are signed electronically and are "assumed originals". . .

LOL -- I left active duty in '81 [ultimately retired from the reserve in '02] my "original" DD214 is the 3rd or 4th carbon of the typewriter prepared form that was actually signed. If you order copies [they send 2] from the National Archives at the link I posted above, they will have a raised seal on them [at least they did when I got my copy a couple of years ago].

Hubby is retired with the blue retiree card so using our IDs should be fine . . .

As of my most recent birthday I now have a blue card [so now my fellow reservists know exactly how old I am] so the DD 214 issue is moot for me as well. But, for several years I was a "Gray Area" retired reservist. As such, I did not have the right color ID card under the RCI rules so I obtained a copy of my DD 214 so I would have something that conformed to their requirements [operating under the theory "their ship, their rules, why make it hard"].

Edited by mjldvlks

DH has Blue ID, check; VA card; check, DMV DL with Veteran & branch of service imprinted & he's never been asked for any of them. Never takes DD214 out of safe

LOL -- I left active duty in '81 [ultimately retired from the reserve in '02] my "original" DD214 is the 3rd or 4th carbon of the typewriter prepared form that was actually signed. If you order copies [they send 2] from the National Archives at the link I posted above, they will have a raised seal on them [at least they did when I got my copy a couple of years ago].

As of my most recent birthday I now have a blue card [so now my fellow reservists know exactly how old I am] so the DD 214 issue is moot for me as well. But, for several years I was a "Gray Area" retired reservist. As such, I did not have the right color ID card under the RCI rules so I obtained a copy of my DD 214 so I would have something that conformed to their requirements [operating under the theory "their ship, their rules, why make it hard"].

Did RCI ask for your DD214 when you were a reservist at the pier or anything?

Hubby sailed in 2013 (active duty at the time) with Carnival and they asked for proof and I remember faxing something, I think his current orders with his SSN blacked out. They kept it on file. One thing everyone should be aware of is military IDs are not to be photo copied or scanned and provided to anyone outside of DoD. Some business will want a copy of your ID say to rent a car or hotel room. Use a driver's license instead.

I'm cruising this weekend and booked a military rate.

My online TA called me to confirm that I was indeed military and said I would need to show proof (in my case a DD 214) upon check in.

It would be nice to provide it once and then have that linked in my C&A account for future bookings.

This is the first time I've used the discount.

Did RCI ask for your DD214 when you were a reservist at the pier or anything?

Hubby sailed in 2013 (active duty at the time) with Carnival and they asked for proof and I remember faxing something, I think his current orders with his SSN blacked out. They kept it on file. One thing everyone should be aware of is military IDs are not to be photo copied or scanned and provided to anyone outside of DoD. Some business will want a copy of your ID say to rent a car or hotel room. Use a driver's license instead.

As I have said before, I don't recall being asked. But it is so easy to be prepared, I see no reason not to be -- there ship there rules, why make it hard. To be honest, my whole military career, it seems like I was in a unique category -- not the typical path and confusing to some who got stuck on standard procedures. Since my ID card didn't conform and my DD214 was actually from active duty time prior to 20+ years of reserve duty, I carried my DD 214, my non-conforming ID, my 20 year letter, my orders assigning me to the retired reserve, and a copy of my Airborne School Graduation certificate, I figured there would be something in there somewhere they would accept. The last one was more for conversation starters.

I understand Carnival has a different procedure. It might be easier if RCI would take a record at the time of booking and keep it on file, but they don't.

• 2 weeks later...

To add to the anecdotal evidence; I just returned from a cruise on the Grandeur-oTS out of Baltimore. They never asked for the DD-214, but I had a copy with me.

And the copy was notarized by the notary at my travel agent. They just verified that it was a copy of the original.

BTW...welcome home and thank you to all that have severed in the Military and thank you to all of you that are still serving. For me the recognition goes far beyond the monetary discount some of the Cruise lines are giving to us Veterans.