Magic Cruisers! Casual dressers enter please...

PresDuLac

But if you read the first post, the OP is talking about sailing out of Texas. I think you are being rather hypercritical yourself here.

Your post insinuated that the Carnival Magic had never sailed through Europe, nor does it have the probability (favorable or unfavorable) to ever return.

Your previous post claimed a hypothetical situation on a European cruise is impossible because of the Carnival Magic's current and temporary homeport, forgetting the inaugural season of said ship.

Edited by Pixelate

Gambits- you will be fine in sun dresses but I would have your DH bring one pair of long pants for elegant night. They will sometimes hold to the dress code and refuse entry. On Carnival they allow shorts on casual nights only. If you ever cruise on other lines, check their dress code. Most don't allow shorts at all in the MDR at night.

Like NOLA, I heard that the Texas cruises and cruisers are more laid back so....

You're a casual dresser and don't dress up, that's just not you or your style.

Please tell me what you and/or your spouse/SO wore on 'Cruise Elegant' nights.

Or did you just skip the MDR and enjoy Lido?

If you just have to chime in because you do dress up....what kind of casual attire did you witness on CE nights?

I know what the 'official' recommendations are and what is officially not permitted as per carnival.com

I want to hear real experiences from people who have sailed on Magic.

And, yes, I've been on a few cruises but I'm asking for a first time cruiser and would love some ship specific - Magic only - responses.

TIA, y'all :)

I am going on my 3rd Magic & 13th Carnival soon. On Elegant night hubby wears slacks & button down shirt, no jkt., no tie. I wear black slacks, dressy top, shawl (chilly) & nice flats. I gave up on "dressy" years ago. Other nights, hubby wears collar knit & I wear a less dressy top.

The only pants my DH and teenage boys bring are for the plane. For elegant nights they wear tailored khaki knee length shorts and nice button down shirts. I wear sundresses most nights in the MDR. I wear suits for work and I enjoy relaxed attire when on vacation. We used to dress very formal on elegant nights but over the years we've become much more casual.

Even though it states no shorts on elegant night?

Since Carnival is now known as the relaxed family friendly cruise line I am sure they are relaxing some of their dress codes as well, published or not. If someone were the only one wearing walking shorts of course they would stand out....but its hard to enforce a code when every 4th guy is wearing shorts.

I am sure it is difficult for the old timers to let go of the one last bastion of cruising elegance...the "formal" night. But people just don't get dressed up anymore...whether for church, a wedding, a funeral, or a night out. Like white gloves, hats, and nylon stockings formal wear for "normal" folks is often a thing of the past. Its a little tough for a cruise line to enforce something that even the best restaurants don't do anymore.

You sure about that, jamscckmc?

dywig.jpg

Yep, positive. You pulled that off the Fantasy Lord knows when. Below is what is listed on the Carnival website.....today. Link posted for your verification.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: jeans, men's sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire.

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=wear

Edited by Out to sea!

Even though it states no shorts on elegant night?
You sure about that, jamscckmc?

dywig.jpg

Yep, positive.

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: jeans, men's sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire.

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=wear

You left out the part where it states "tailored shorts" are allowed. ;)

Edit: It states only gym and basketball shorts are prohibited. :D

Edited by Pixelate

Less than 1% of cruisers come to cruise critic, and less than 50% of cruisers read the associated "codes" before packing a suitcase and 25% of cruisers could care less about "elegant" night. In this world where it costs 50 bucks to take a suitcase on a plane and an exorbitant amount if you are over the 50lb limit people are packing a minimum amount of clothes. Any cruiser barred from the dining room likely won't ever cruise that line again so the risk is too great for the staff to enforce the antiquated codes.

To the OP....I am positive that most people on the Magic out of Texas will be (men) wearing light weight slacks and a shirt but you will also find many wearing dark pressed jeans (its Texas) or the Arizonans on board will be wearing their tailored knee length shorts with a solid silk shirt and "jesus" sandals or boat shoes (exactly what they wear at the finest restaurants in Phoenix for dinner).

And, as an aside, since you won't be sailing out of Florida you won't have to put up with the smell of moth balls from the grand old Ladies wearing their "fancy" duds and their husbands wearing their ages old too tight tux. (and that is total sarcasm directed at those who actually "care" what others are wearing.

Thanks everyone!

*Most* :rolleyes: :) of these replies have been really helpful to my friend.

She's got her CE nights covered now.

I love how CE dress code threads devolve, but they're nothing compared to the 'what to wear in Paris' threads on a travel forum I frequent.

That said, I love 'what to wear' conversations.

On CE night on another ship (Pride) in May, people were dressed however they pleased.

I even saw one couple in matching Harley Davidson t-shirts. :eek:

When I was younger, I loved dressing up, now.... not so much, it's more of a pain than a pleasure.

In case anyone's interested, these are my two favorite 'go to' *dress up* outfits (from j.jill), I have more mix and match pieces - super comfortable stuff and pack nicely.

This is as dressed up as I ever get and pantyhose be damned! :)

jjillwearever_zps9f330387.jpg

jjillsweater_zpsa60ca5f3.jpg

Gambits- you will be fine in sun dresses but I would have your DH bring one pair of long pants for elegant night. They will sometimes hold to the dress code and refuse entry. On Carnival they allow shorts on casual nights only. If you ever cruise on other lines, check their dress code. Most don't allow shorts at all in the MDR at night.

Thank you jamscckmc.

We were on the Triumph before so the dress code may have been more relaxed.

No slacks for my husband, he doesn't even own a pair. He is the VP of a large construction company here in the DFW area and starched jeans are as fancy as he gets :D

I will have him pack his starched black jeans, just in case, and we will talk to the Maitre d prior to the elegant night but hopefully his tailored shorts will work fine.

Thank you jamscckmc.

We were on the Triumph before so the dress code may have been more relaxed.

No slacks for my husband, he doesn't even own a pair. He is the VP of a large construction company here in the DFW area and starched jeans are as fancy as he gets :D

I will have him pack his starched black jeans, just in case, and we will talk to the Maitre d prior to the elegant night but hopefully his tailored shorts will work fine.

We have never been refused entry into the MDR on elegant nights when DH was in tailored shorts. He wears a belt and leather beach sandals, not flip flops. As was stated before, many cruisers aren't aware of the "rules" and fail to bring appropriate attire.

We have never been refused entry into the MDR on elegant nights when DH was in tailored shorts. He wears a belt and leather beach sandals, not flip flops. As was stated before, many cruisers aren't aware of the "rules" and fail to bring appropriate attire.

Thank you Aviendah.

This is exactly what my husband wore to the elegant night on the triumph.

Tailored shorts, button up dress shirt, belt and leather beach sandals.

I figure if he doesn't feel like wearing his starched black jeans, we will just head to the Lido deck and enjoy something there :D

Edited by gamits

We are taking three February cruises out of Galveston. I will not take a sports coat for the first time in thirty five cruises. Formal has gone from Tux to Suit to Sports coat, and now not even long pants or a tie.

Same here; cruises 31 and 32 booked, shorts and polo or Tommy Bahama on regular nights, khakis and a Tommy Bahama on the Cruise Elegant nights. The final decision is in the hands of the host, and here's what they say:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

Edited by BallFour4

• 2 weeks later...

On the Breeze last month on Elegant Night, a guy wearing shorts was denied entrance to the MDR. (This was anytime dining.) His family was admitted and he returned after changing. Children in shorts were also denied admission.

Women in sundresses were admitted.

The vast majority of passengers looked very nice and many had on suits/ties, and nice dresses.

I book Carnival because of their more relaxed environment. Its funny that the dining room staff looks better than the passengers these days, but airline luggage fees and lack of laundry facilities on most cruise lines have changed things. I'm happy to see how Carnival has changed too.

Joanie...thanks for posting your J Jill ideas..I have a 2 pice black thing I have has a long time like that that is a dressy ribbed material and with different fancy silky blouses and jewelry..so glad to know still in...thanks..sarah

Just did the Magic a few months ago out of Galveston. I wore dockers and polo shirt with new black New Balance tennis shoes (yes I said tennis shoes :eek::D). My wife wore capri shorts and a nice shirt each night. We DID NOT "dress up" at all. One table mate wore dress shorts each night with a polo shirt (but he wore dockers on elegant nights). Out of Texas you will see many guys in starched jeans and western shirts on elegant night. :cool:;)

I usually wear a suit and tie for elegant night. Wife likes to get dressed up and it doesn't bother me. I am a musician and own several tuxedos. I have worn them on occasion, just because we felt like getting some good pictures. I don't recall anyone being denied a seat in the MDR. Although I think some should have been.

Khakis and polo shirt for guys (solid colors so they look good in pictures) and usually a Sundress with sandals for my daughter and I. I also like maxi skirts made of Jersey/cotton material. They can be worn long or short depending on my mood and be casual or dressy depending how I pair them.

Ah, gender discrimination and double standards at their finest. What ever happened to fighting for equal opportunity? Prior to the 19th century, it wasn't socially acceptable for women to wear pants.

When men stop having hair long enough to braid coming out of their underarms and or hairy backs then they too can wear spaghetti straps or sleeveless shirts.

And most women care about what they look like and would not wear a sleeveless shirt or dress to dinner if they had back or shoulder acne.