Vista IMAX - cost and cost/benefit

doconner

What are the expectations for how much extra it will cost to see a film in the IMAX on the Vista.

I've never watched a film on Lido, but part of that might be that in the evenings there are more appealing options available. I suppose with the IMAX, there are options of showing films at more slow times of the day.

I realise that they have cut out the open space above atrium to put in the IMAX. With that said they haven't really given up cabin space to do it, but at the same time I estimate that they could have put 42 additional inside cabins in the space where the IMAX is. (14 per deck over 3 decks).

That is a lot of passenger revenue that they are in essence giving up in order to put in the IMAX.

So how much will a ticket cost?

Any guesses?

I wouldn't expect a charge for a film, but who knows. I can say one thing, I won't pay to watch a movie on the boat. too many other things to do.

There is definitely going to be a charge unfortunately, the only question is how much. I sort of agree with you though, not sure I'd pay to watch a film on the ship, especially if it's anywhere close to the same cost as on land.

According to this page on Carnival's site, it will be 'for a fee'.

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/imax

I have to imagine they will do something similar to the Thrill Theater fee. That was a bust for us. We bought the passes. It was closed for technical difficulties more days than it was open. Luckily, they refunded our money.

I have to imagine they will do something similar to the Thrill Theater fee. That was a bust for us. We bought the passes. It was closed for technical difficulties more days than it was open. Luckily, they refunded our money.

We were at the event in NYC yesterday. My understanding of the presentation is like it will be like a theater you go to where you live. There will be a lobby, where you can purchase candy, popcorn, and things like that. The IMAX will carry first run movies, playing there the same day they get released to the public. Kind of a different play on things. At other times, it will show IMAX movies like Avatar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What are the expectations for how much extra it will cost to see a film in the IMAX on the Vista.

I've never watched a film on Lido, but part of that might be that in the evenings there are more appealing options available. I suppose with the IMAX, there are options of showing films at more slow times of the day.

I realise that they have cut out the open space above atrium to put in the IMAX. With that said they haven't really given up cabin space to do it, but at the same time I estimate that they could have put 42 additional inside cabins in the space where the IMAX is. (14 per deck over 3 decks).

That is a lot of passenger revenue that they are in essence giving up in order to put in the IMAX.

So how much will a ticket cost?

Any guesses?

The IMAX will pay for itself. Having the IMAX plus the other new venues will allow Carnival to charge higher prices for the cruise itself. Lets say Carnival charges $50 more per person for the cruise because of demand for the ship. With over 4500 people on board, that would be at least an extra $225000 income per cruise or $1 million per month.

We were at the event in NYC yesterday. My understanding of the presentation is like it will be like a theater you go to where you live. There will be a lobby, where you can purchase candy, popcorn, and things like that. The IMAX will carry first run movies, playing there the same day they get released to the public. Kind of a different play on things. At other times, it will show IMAX movies like Avatar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If they are serving the same popcorn, I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would pay for it.

The IMAX will pay for itself. Having the IMAX plus the other new venues will allow Carnival to charge higher prices for the cruise itself. Lets say Carnival charges $50 more per person for the cruise because of demand for the ship. With over 4500 people on board, that would be at least an extra $225000 income per cruise or $1 million per month.

That assumes that the IMAX will be a draw that people are willing to pay $50 higher cruise fare for.

There is clearly a 'new ship premium', but that would be true with or without the IMAX. If the IMAX is anything more than $5, which I'm sure it will be, it won't be a draw for me at all.

Obviously, for some people it will be though.

as i understand it, there will be a tiered pricing system. mark tamis, SVP of guest operations commented:

Continuing its penchant for thrills both indoors and out, Carnival is upping its cinematic offerings, introducing the Carnival Multiplex, with both a Thrill Theater and a first-at-sea IMAX theater. Passengers will be able to watch the latest Hollywood flicks, IMAX classics and IMAX documentaries on the three-deck high screen. Pricing for IMAX is tiered and varies by film, with current films costing more than museum-style documentaries, Tamis told Cruise Critic. Prices will be less than on land, he added.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6159

given that thrill theater is 7.95 for a single show or 14.95 for the full cruise, i'd expect the least expensive single show cost to be in that area of 7.95 or so, with some sort of 'package' for multiple shows or the whole cruise. given that they explicitly stated it'd cost less than on land, there's not THAT much wiggle room, in that first run imax movie tickets often range around 15.00 or so.

however, since they're playing first run movies, etc. i would expect a whole cruise package to cost more than the limited options of the thrill theater (with short movies) at 14.95. i'd also expect that if the cost is higher than thrill theater, they may have a few smaller than full cruise packages - like 2 movies for 20% off, 3 for 30% off, etc.

but atm, who knows :)

Edited by falkcor

Maybe I can bring my own Red Vines and Raisinettes to keep the cost down :D

That would work.;) Funny you mention that. We were traveling(in New Orleans for the naming ceremony for the Sunshine) and were in town for a couple of days. We ended up going to a movie one night (quite the partiers...huh?). It was one of these huge complex (40 theaters or there about. Went to get a popcorn and the couple in front of me got: Nachos and cheese, two hot dogs, candy, soda, a slice of pizza (that must have been good:confused:) a cappacino (sp?) and something else I can not recall. The bill for the goodies was $52. Add that to the tickets and ....so much for a cheap date. They had two trays to carry into the theater....which I am sure was spotless and fine for eating....

IMAX theater is a neat idea, but VERY disappointed that it costs extra. Disney ships all have state of the art movie theaters (including 3D!!) and there is no charge there for first run movies. They even do premiers at sea on the same day a movie opens on land for FREE.

IMAX theater is a neat idea, but VERY disappointed that it costs extra. Disney ships all have state of the art movie theaters (including 3D!!) and there is no charge there for first run movies. They even do premiers at sea on the same day a movie opens on land for FREE.

Oh you're paying for it on Disney,:D

I did the Dream last year and am doing the Magic this year...and it's about double the price of other cruises..but hey, my kid is only going to believe in princesses a few more years so I'll fork over the cash.

I just about had a HA when I tried to price their european cruises.:eek:

I did the Dream last year and am doing the Magic this year...and it's about double the price of other cruises..but hey, my kid is only going to believe in princesses a few more years so I'll fork over the cash.

For some people, the magic never dies. ;)

Hi jwalk03, congratulations on 1,000 posts!!!

As for their movies being FREE ... I would argue that you are paying for them in the price of the cruise. :p

And after writing that last sentance I am no longer mad that this (IMAX)will be an added cost. Very happy with the price of this cruise so if I have to pay extra for a few things, so be it.

Hi jwalk03, congratulations on 1,000 posts!!!

As for their movies being FREE ... I would argue that you are paying for them in the price of the cruise. :p

And after writing that last sentance I am no longer mad that this (IMAX)will be an added cost. Very happy with the price of this cruise so if I have to pay extra for a few things, so be it.

If Carnival can charge more, believe me, they will. Unfortunately for Carnival, the market determines the price. For some people, even a free cruise won't get them on a Carnival ship.

Disney certainly is a premium price, but for a premium product. So its true, more should be included in the price with Disney. I actually didn't even watch any of the movies in the Walt Disney Theater last year, never got around to it on a short cruise, maybe on a longer one though.

I also did the Dream last year and my daughter LOVED it (Mommy & I did too!), so we are doing the Wonder this year to try one of the classic ships to compare.

I am with you on Europe, I looked at those prices and was astonished! The trick with Disney is to book the day the fares are released, or if the ship still isnt full, last minute. anything in between and the prices are off the charts. I booked our Wonder cruise this year the first day it was available (to non-gold/platinum) and got a very reasonable rate. Today that same cruise is more than TRIPLE what i booked it for! TRIPLE!

Disney certainly is a premium price, but for a premium product. So its true, more should be included in the price with Disney. I actually didn't even watch any of the movies in the Walt Disney Theater last year, never got around to it on a short cruise, maybe on a longer one though.

I also did the Dream last year and my daughter LOVED it (Mommy & I did too!), so we are doing the Wonder this year to try one of the classic ships to compare.

I am with you on Europe, I looked at those prices and was astonished! The trick with Disney is to book the day the fares are released, or if the ship still isnt full, last minute. anything in between and the prices are off the charts. I booked our Wonder cruise this year the first day it was available (to non-gold/platinum) and got a very reasonable rate. Today that same cruise is more than TRIPLE what i booked it for! TRIPLE!

Yes, thats what I did with the Dream, just a couple of months out I got a good rate on a VGT and lucked out and got an amazing wrap around aft balcony on the 10th deck (5E). I was very happy. This time around I saved a little by getting a "secret veranda" cabin which is basically the same as any other Veranda but with a curve in the upper right hand corner. It's hardly obstructive but classified as a "navigator's veranda" so I grabbed it.:cool:

:confused: You sure about that?

I typically don't head to Disneyland. The analogy is still the same for WDW, regardless, to which I'm sure EZ4 understood.

I guess I should have finished reading instead of skimming after he mentioned the Enchanted Tiki Room. ;)

Edited by Pixelate