Chef's Table Comparison

rimau

We've done the Chef's Table at least four times. We have now booked a cruise on the Regal in August and we know the procedure is different. Is there anyone out there who has done both types? If so, how would you compare the two?

W have done both, having just done the Chefs table Luminaire on the Regal in Oct. Because there is a dedicated space it seemed much more laid back. Very elegant with the beautiful round table stunning center piece and lighted circular curtain. The meal service is similar on both.

We found it very different on the Royal, and I think the regal is the same. In fact, I think the EC we had was on the Royal.

There is a dedicated and gorgeous area for it, as opposed to a fancy table in the MDR - the area is closed off by a light curtain during service which is nice as people aren't constantly wondering what's happening. It's also in the TD MDR as opposed to the AD.

The menu is different as well (I happen to have it right here, so will put it below..)

Presentation is very different. There is no tableside prep, and you have less interaction with the EC, who basically came out and explained each dish before returning to the galley. Service was more formal, with one waiter coming out to each setting.

It was still a great meal but felt more like a formal chef's presentation than a more casual chef's table.

Menu (Royal - October 2014)

Hors D'Ouvres in the Galley (similar to other ships in presentation)

Potato Rosti with Chive Creme Freche, Smoked salmon, Hackleback Caviar

Sweet Potato and Chili Samosas with Mint Relish (liked this a lot better than I thought!)

Thai Style sterling beef skewer

Bonbon of smoked Duck, Foie Gras and Truffle Mouse (wow was that rich)

MDR Service

Amuse Bouche - Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Bisque with cheese straws

Appetizer - Wild Porcini Mushroom risotto with white truffle oil

Sorbet - Roasted orange and Crystallized ginger

Main - Duet of Maine lobster tail (note this was a Canada/NE run) and Sterling beef tenderloin with a champagne lemon buerre blanc, red wine and port reduction sauce.

Cheese - Mille fuelle of gorngonzola Mousse with sweet red onion compote spiked with apple cider reduction

Dessert - Study of chocolate (will let you be surprised)

Coffee, tea and Petit Fours

Chef - Jozef Lisner (an excellent EC btw - only Chef Bolis ranks higher in my opinion)

MD - Fabio Marcotti (second only to Jacques Ghennai in my book)

It wouldn't surprise me, especially with the itinerary change

Maybe just by random chance we had almost exactly the same menu on the Coral and Island 2 years apart.

Our dinner was different. We were told that the Royal/Regal have 3 different menus as the other ships had.

• 2 weeks later...

Not wanting to start a cruise line war here, but I have to say, I am totally underwhelmed by that menu, after experiencing the chefs table on Carnival last year the wife has decided that we have to do it on every cruise, but looking at that menu, I think we will pass.

Not wanting to start a cruise line war here, but I have to say, I am totally underwhelmed by that menu, after experiencing the chefs table on Carnival last year the wife has decided that we have to do it on every cruise, but looking at that menu, I think we will pass.

Guess you had to be there. ;)

We attended the CT when it was only $75 pp. I am also underwhelmed by the menu that appears to be an upgraded version of formal night. I would have expected more for the price they charge now.

We attended the CT when it was only $75 pp. I am also underwhelmed by the menu that appears to be an upgraded version of formal night. I would have expected more for the price they charge now.

I'd say that most of the folks at the two CTs I attended drank up more than $95 of wine (given ship's prices), quite regardless of the food.

While I didn't find all the dishes amazing, and it seems clones of a couple are now served in MDR menus, I'd be curious to have you name a few menu items you think should be included. Truffled something, sure…and then what?

Isn't the price of the CT on the Royal and Regal $115? That's the last price I remember being quoted here on Cruise Critic. As far as the menu I would like something that they don't serve in the MDR or at a specialty restaurant. Maybe you had to be there but steak and lobster is so cliche.

We found it very different on the Royal, and I think the regal is the same. In fact, I think the EC we had was on the Royal.

There is a dedicated and gorgeous area for it, as opposed to a fancy table in the MDR - the area is closed off by a light curtain during service which is nice as people aren't constantly wondering what's happening. It's also in the TD MDR as opposed to the AD.

The menu is different as well (I happen to have it right here, so will put it below..)

Presentation is very different. There is no tableside prep, and you have less interaction with the EC, who basically came out and explained each dish before returning to the galley. Service was more formal, with one waiter coming out to each setting.

It was still a great meal but felt more like a formal chef's presentation than a more casual chef's table.

Menu (Royal - October 2014)

Hors D'Ouvres in the Galley (similar to other ships in presentation)

Potato Rosti with Chive Creme Freche, Smoked salmon, Hackleback Caviar

Sweet Potato and Chili Samosas with Mint Relish (liked this a lot better than I thought!)

Thai Style sterling beef skewer

Bonbon of smoked Duck, Foie Gras and Truffle Mouse (wow was that rich)

MDR Service

Amuse Bouche - Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Bisque with cheese straws

Appetizer - Wild Porcini Mushroom risotto with white truffle oil

Sorbet - Roasted orange and Crystallized ginger

Main - Duet of Maine lobster tail (note this was a Canada/NE run) and Sterling beef tenderloin with a champagne lemon buerre blanc, red wine and port reduction sauce.

Cheese - Mille fuelle of gorngonzola Mousse with sweet red onion compote spiked with apple cider reduction

Dessert - Study of chocolate (will let you be surprised)

Coffee, tea and Petit Fours

Chef - Jozef Lisner (an excellent EC btw - only Chef Bolis ranks higher in my opinion)

MD - Fabio Marcotti (second only to Jacques Ghennai in my book)

delete

Edited by Iamcruzin
double post

We have done it twice.

The first time was one of the first ones Princess had and everything was wonderful, presented beautifully, and a first rate experience. The EC was there for the first one the entire time preparing table-side and added greatly to the experience. There were multiple vegetable carvings in the galley. The menu was special. The wine kept flowing and the dinner was very relaxed. We were still in the dining room when all the other diners had left. Everyone made us feel special and seemed excited about being part of such a special experience. We couldn't wait to do it again on another cruise in a few years.

This fall on the Caribbean Princess, not sure if it was that it wasn't a new experience for us, nothing seemed special about it including the menu. The galley hors d'oeuvres were OK not special nor presented specially. The meal felt rushed and the service was OK but lacking that extra that made you feel like this was a special occasion.

Agree things seem to have changed over the years. We enjoyed the Crown Grill much more for a lot less money.

Hi There

Did it on the Royal, was so disappointed with it complained to Princess about it,

now this was only the third one they had done,

things I did not like to choice, no notice about what we were going to eat,

no table servings no flames, no choice, yes setting is great, but was quicker than a normal meal in the MDR

did chefs table on Ruby a few months ago, great show, chef cooking at side of table, flames, choice, got to pick what you wanted to eat, loads of do you want more, etc

yours Shogun

Isn't the price of the CT on the Royal and Regal $115? That's the last price I remember being quoted here on Cruise Critic. As far as the menu I would like something that they don't serve in the MDR or at a specialty restaurant. Maybe you had to be there but steak and lobster is so cliche.

Yes, you pay another $20 for the "privilege" of sitting surrounded by lit-up tubes. Seems like a rip-off, but so does the ridiculous fee for the cabañas. I guess that, since the prices aren't going down, either there are enough "price-is-no-object" travelers and folks with money to burn to fill both venues. (On the other hand, I live in a city where a studio apartment runs $3000 a month and a prix fixe with unlimited champagne and good wines a tearing bargain at $115.) The $95 still applies to all other ships.

I agree that the surf-and-turf (or, at my 1st CT, filet, veal chop, scallops and lobster) is a cliché. But, face it, lobster is what people think of as the most desirable food on the cruise. I also live in a city with amazing restaurants; I just looked at the prix fixe tasting menu at Michael Mina, one of San Francisco's top-drawer places. Among the dishes: Grilled lobster, scallops, surf (sea bass) and turf, rib eye. The important thing is in the quality of ingredients, preparation, and presentation. I, yes, found the main dishes the weakest of both CTs I attended. But Princess is dealing with passenger tastes: if you look at these boards, you'll find cruisers squeamish about sweetbreads, escargots, steak tartare, sushi. Sure, I'd be thrilled if the main dish were something more imaginative, maybe Asian fusion cuisine - like The Foreign Cinema's Five spice duck breast, celery root purée, Lucia radicchio, cracklings, fromage blanc toast, and marmalade - but I don't recall anyone at the table groaning, "Oh, no. Lobster again?"

So at your dream CT, what would the main dish be?

Edited by shepp

Yes, you pay another $20 for the "privilege" of sitting surrounded by lit-up tubes. Seems like a rip-off, but so does the ridiculous fee for the cabañas. I guess that, since the prices aren't going down, either there are enough "price-is-no-object" travelers and folks with money to burn to fill both venues. (On the other hand, I live in a city where a studio apartment runs $3000 a month and a prix fixe with unlimited champagne and good wines a tearing bargain at $115.) The $95 still applies to all other ships.

I agree that the surf-and-turf (or, at my 1st CT, filet, veal chop, scallops and lobster) is a cliché. But, face it, lobster is what people think of as the most desirable food on the cruise. I also live in a city with amazing restaurants; I just looked at the prix fixe tasting menu at Michael Mina, one of San Francisco's top-drawer places. Among the dishes: Grilled lobster, scallops, surf (sea bass) and turf, rib eye. The important thing is in the quality of ingredients, preparation, and presentation. I, yes, found the main dishes the weakest of both CTs I attended. But Princess is dealing with passenger tastes: if you look at these boards, you'll find cruisers squeamish about sweetbreads, escargots, steak tartare, sushi. Sure, I'd be thrilled if the main dish were something more imaginative, maybe Asian fusion cuisine - like The Foreign Cinema's Five spice duck breast, celery root purée, Lucia radicchio, cracklings, fromage blanc toast, and marmalade - but I don't recall anyone at the table groaning, "Oh, no. Lobster again?"

So at your dream CT, what would the main dish be?

Anything that wasn't on the MDR menu. I pretty much eat anything but I would enjoy a veal or lamb dish for a change.