Free drinks or food which would you choose

With NCL offering free ultimate dining or drinks for the cruise which would you take on a seven or nine 9 nighter? Either way it's a huge bonus but certainly puts them above carnival and Royal.

We took the OBC. That's free money we can spend on drinks, food, whatever.

What's best for you depends on what you like to do on a cruise, no matter the length. How much do you spend on drinks? Specialty dining? What will save you the most money?

With NCL offering free ultimate dining or drinks for the cruise which would you take on a seven or nine 9 nighter? Either way it's a huge bonus but certainly puts them above carnival and Royal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

We chose the beverage option because we normally don't drink much and are too cheap to spend money on drinks. Picking this option gives me the freedom to try out different drinks to taste them. If I don't like them or start to feel too tipsy I won't feel like I have to finish them!

I know this is not the normal psychology or math for this decision but this option gives me the freedom to try a new experience...

For us "free drinks" is not an option because not everything is included. If we want Champagne, we still have to pay for it.

I also think that only the cheapest alternatives are included, "housebrand". For example you can't get a gin and tonic with Bombay Sapphire which I understand is popular in the US even if I personally prefer Gordon's. (I might be wrong about this but I think that's how it is.)

I also think that only the cheapest alternatives are included, "housebrand". For example you can't get a gin and tonic with Bombay Sapphire which I understand is popular in the US even if I personally prefer Gordon's. (I might be wrong about this but I think that's how it is.)

In fact, few brands are excluded. You are not limited to the cheapest house brands. Here is an outdated list of beverage brands dating from when the UBP was cheaper and more restrictive. Already back then, Bombay Sapphire was included. Nowadays, most of the "super premium" and maybe even some of the "ultra-premium" brands in this list are also included (assuming that NCL still carries them).

Of course, if you are still primarily interested in drinks that are not included, then the UBP is not worthwhile for you. But you mentioned champagne, for example, and with the UBP you would get 20% off each bottle, so there is a small benefit there, too.

Max value of UDP is $40pppd
You can go to more than one restaurant per day, theoretically you could do all of them every night… :eek:

In fact, few brands are excluded. You are not limited to the cheapest house brands. Here is an outdated list of beverage brands dating from when the UBP was cheaper and more restrictive. Already back then, Bombay Sapphire was included. Nowadays, most of the "super premium" and maybe even some of the "ultra-premium" brands in this list are also included (assuming that NCL still carries them).

Of course, if you are still primarily interested in drinks that are not included, then the UBP is not worthwhile for you. But you mentioned champagne, for example, and with the UBP you would get 20% off each bottle, so there is a small benefit there, too.

You can go to more than one restaurant per day, theoretically you could do all of them every night… :eek:

I'm glad then that I wrote "think"! Interesting about the Champagne.

The UDP *includes* the choices that usually cost extra, with the exception of Cagneys, where there is a charge for an *extra entree*, but not for the "extra charge" entrees.

I've seen FAQs that state that is the situation for Le Bistro also, but as of New Years, there were NO extra charges at Le Bistro.

However, there is also a FAQ stating this is the case for both Cagneys and Le Bistro.

(Okay, to be technically correct, the extra charges, for both extra-charge entrees and for extra entrees, were listed on the "bill", but then ALL of the costs were "zero'd out" by the UDP.)

We ate at Le Bistro several times, and never paid an extra cent, no matter what we ordered. And this included, in one fine meal at New Year's Eve, an "extra cost entree" as the entree, and an "extra cost entree" as an appetizer. All cancelled out by the UDP.

GeezerCouple

by a la carte, i meant the places like wasabi and shanghai noodle - they don't give you any option for those eateries, and we definitely want to do lunch at those places.

Don't forget that the UDP does give you 20% off the a la carte dining, too. That would be a bit of extra savings in your favor if you chose that option.

did not realize this - i might have to do some more math to see what works best :) thanks!

Edited by waxing witch

For us "free drinks" is not an option because not everything is included. If we want Champagne, we still have to pay for it.

Just order by the glass....for us, prosseco and champagne were included when ordered by the glass. Obviously more expensive brandy's aren't going to be included. Grand Marnier was included...if you are looking for something like Louis to be included, then you are right - that's a no go :)

if you get the drink package can you get bottled beer? And can you get a bucket at a time? My husband likes to put them in the refrigerator in the cabin so he can have them when he wants. The description I read said 1 glass at a time so I am confused. There would be no advantage to getting the package if he still had to buy bottled beer. That is all he drinks.

Also depends on where you are sailing to, My Med cruise got me 2 of the 3 offerings with just a Balcony booking ..

Not a drinker so I grabbed The UDP as well as the $200 OBC ...And I got another $250 off with the AARP discount..

Edited by warriorking

Just order by the glass....for us, prosseco and champagne were included when ordered by the glass.
I don't recall champagne being offered by the glass, but a limited selection of prosecco and cava, yes, and for less than $10 a glass, so included.
if you get the drink package can you get bottled beer? And can you get a bucket at a time?
Yes, you can get bottled beer, but no, not a bucket at a time unless you get friendly with a bartender who is willing the bend the rules for you. It is one drink at a time, officially.

Since we've always been satisfied with the "free" dining, usually only springing for the specialty dining maybe once per cruise, the drink package is the way to go for us. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but having it included would be a terrific value, just for the convenience, if nothing else. No "counting pennies" if the hubs wants just one more beer or another Manhattan, or trying a drink, not really liking it, but feeling like I have to drink it anyway because it's paid for.

They are offering both OBC and ultimate drink out dining packages on our Northern European cruise in 2016 with a Balcony. We thought the dining package at first would be the best, however, after looking at the restaurants, there were very few we liked, therefore, we chose the beverage package. This offer is going away at the end in January, 2015

Max value of UDP is $40pppd

I was thinking value against a normal speciality spend, very few people do multiple normally when paying, I guess most don't do the upsell item either

However

Forgot the discounted buy it yourself price which caps it out at...

around $17pppd.

Drinks a no brainer unless an abstainer, 2 wine, 3/4 beers covers the UDP.

Since we've always been satisfied with the "free" dining, usually only springing for the specialty dining maybe once per cruise, the drink package is the way to go for us. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but having it included would be a terrific value, just for the convenience, if nothing else. No "counting pennies" if the hubs wants just one more beer or another Manhattan, or trying a drink, not really liking it, but feeling like I have to drink it anyway because it's paid for.

We're already paying for food in the price of the cruise. Why not cut down the cruise price and we can then eat in whatever restaurant at a nominal charge? We don't drink much, so these options don't mean anything to us. We'd take the OBC .

Just my thought of the day;)

Yes, especially, traveling out of the country, you can bring water unless you buy it at the airport.

Right now you can have $200 obc and either a drink or dining package. We chose the drink package. We are not big drinkers, however, a coke is costly as well, and we like our diet coke. Ncl thru in a side package for the third person in our room. Dining package we thought was good at first but we are finicky eaters. Free Restaurants on NCL are great. Last cruise we were in a suite, so we ate at Cagneys, a specialty restaurant for breakfast and lunch. I'm hooked on French press coffee now!

I don't recall champagne being offered by the glass, but a limited selection of prosecco and cava, yes, and for less than $10 a glass, so included.

Yes, you can get bottled beer, but no, not a bucket at a time unless you get friendly with a bartender who is willing the bend the rules for you. It is one drink at a time, officially.

I was on the Getaway with DW in September and had the UBP and yes, I was able to order champagne by the glass (I believe it was Prosecco).

Your comment about getting friendly with a bartender or two is poignant. As strict as NCL is in their written rules regarding the UBP (each person must present card, only cocktails under $10, super-premium liquors not included), the staff (at least on the Getaway) does not seem concerned with following each rule to the letter of the law.

For example, we were only asked to present both cards once or twice the whole week; the vast majority of the time we were able to get two drinks with only one card. I believe at one time the DW ordered a mixed drink that was $10.50 or something and that was included. Also, while we were still docked in Miami prior to sail away, the servers were writing down all drink orders and giving paper "receipts" because "our systems are down at this time". As soon as Miami was out of sight, the systems were suddenly working again. I suspect that they did this to avoid charging us tax on the drinks that would normally apply while we were still in the U.S.

TL;DR version: Onboard staff is VERY lenient on the restrictions of the UBP.

Edited by zuke2323

• 3 weeks later...

No Brainer for me. Seeing that I'm a Alcoholic🍹 🙀and a Gluten for Food 😱and Love Free money 😃I book a suite and get all 3 things Free 😜😜🍹🍹💰💰🍤🍗

Just kidding but if we had to choose it would be the UBP. Getting all 3 is nice though