seating for 2 at anytime dining on silhouette

tommy47

We sat in a section port side on Silhouette where the tables were very close. The waiter Luciano was outstanding and those of us who got to know this dined in his section every night, so it was almost like traditional dining! Unfortunately for us Luciano begins his training for the new suite restaurant in Feb. so we can't look forward to having him again.

Edited by TeaBag

As noted above, some are and some aren't. On our last cruise (our first doing Select Dining), we experienced both, and several of the times we were at "close" tables, we wound up having very nice conversations with the folks at the next table.

I have had select dining on Eclipse and Infinity and thought that the majority of tables for 2 were very close to adjacent tables. In some instances there were 4 tables all next to each other that basically looked like a long table for 8. I wonder if it is possible to take a walk around the dining room before it is open and look at the situation of tables and note the number of the tables that I like the look of. Then when I want a quiet dinner for 2 I can make a reservation. Do the table numbers remain the same?

No, the table numbers don't always stay the same -- have been on back to back cruises where I sat at the same table both weeks but the table number was different.

However, your idea to walk around and pick a location that looks good is not a bad one. If you are willing to eat early, you can usually request a particular table, so that's another thing to consider. Going at peak times you will have less choice.

I have had Select Dining on the Eclipse twice and have asked for a table for 2. Some tables have been close to other diners, other tables have been more private.

In general, I would say that the people who ask for tables for 2 like to dine with their spouse/partner & as such, are polite to their fellow diners, will greet anyone close to them with a 'Good Evening' & then carry on with their quiet dinner. Those diners who want to meet new people will usually ask to share a table.

Like a previous contributor, we found a section we liked with a superb waiting team. We were often seated at a larger table for 4 which was quickly reset for just the 2 of us. Our waiter arranged after a few days for us to be seated at the same table larger table each evening, so when we arrived at the Dining Room, the table was reserved for us.

I remember being concerned by exactly the same issue before I had cruised with Celebrity but I have no worries at all now.

Some are, some aren't. We sat near a table for two that was along the rail, completely isolated from others. Nearby in the other direction there were tables for two which were close to other tables. It's a mix.

We were seated at one of the rail tables once and yes they are probably the only ones that are quite separate, but I found the noise rising from the lower dining floor utterly disorientating and would never sit there again:(.

That said, we only took a table for 2 when there were no others to share with. We eat at home by ourselves almost every night we are not on holiday, so enjoy meeting and talking to different people every evening. The great thing about select is being able to choose:)

Edited by Killington

If I had to choose, I'd rather be elbow to elbow with my neighbor than sit on the aisle where frantic waiters, hustling wine stewards, and other passengers are passing by mere inches from me and my food. If you don't like the assigned table, just tell the hostess that it is not suitable and wait a bit for a better one. It usually is a very short wait.

In our experience, the majority of tables are close to others, but we didn't find this a big problem. We usually exchange a few words with out immediate neighbours, but that's it. It seems to be an unwritten rule that you don;t get involved in anyone's private conversation without an invite!

DH describes it as cosy, but not quite intimate!