Beverage question (sorry)

Lisa&Neb

I have searched the forums before posting this question and I can't find the answer so here it goes.

I want to get a beverage package for our upcoming cruise, I went to book it online and when I checked out I noticed not only the 15% gratuity but ALSO a service charge of $25 (roughly) for the Royal Replenish. When getting the daily rate this is what I figured

$20.71/day (Canadian funds) x 15% = $23.82/day x 7days = 166.72

the amount on the "Check out" was $163 (and change) + a $25 (and change) service charge bringing my total to just over $188.

IF I just wait and get the package onboard, will I still have the "Service Charge" PLUS the 15% gratuity tacked on?

I tried calling RCCL and was speaking with a gentleman that was not so kind (actually told me to "stop talking and to just listen" when I asked about the service charge which he couldn't explain, followed by "if you don't like the amount I have given you, then just book it in US Dollars like everyone else when you are onboard")

SO, please CC Members, help me out.

I have searched the forums before posting this question and I can't find the answer so here it goes.

I want to get a beverage package for our upcoming cruise, I went to book it online and when I checked out I noticed not only the 15% gratuity but ALSO a service charge of $25 (roughly) for the Royal Replenish. When getting the daily rate this is what I figured

$20.71/day (Canadian funds) x 15% = $23.82/day x 7days = 166.72

the amount on the "Check out" was $163 (and change) + a $25 (and change) service charge bringing my total to just over $188.

IF I just wait and get the package onboard, will I still have the "Service Charge" PLUS the 15% gratuity tacked on?

I tried calling RCCL and was speaking with a gentleman that was not so kind (actually told me to "stop talking and to just listen" when I asked about the service charge which he couldn't explain, followed by "if you don't like the amount I have given you, then just book it in US Dollars like everyone else when you are onboard")

SO, please CC Members, help me out.

I just checked mine and it does not add up as well. For my cruise in March I was seeing $20.71 s well and when I went to order the price came up more than the $20.71 x 4 days x 15% gratuity.

I checked my Anthem sailing for December and the price was listed as $21.80 but when I followed through it came out at $4.00 less for the 8 days.

My guess is that the price that you see on the cruise planner is the price that it was in Canadian at the time that you booked the cruise. When you actually purchase the package it is using today's exchange rate....which currently sucks.

I bought an ultimate package three days ago for an upcoming cruise and it was fine. We decided to get a second one and after I read your note I checked. The total it gives me is what it should be with the service charge. And then it adds the service charge again! I will call tomorrow and see what happens. I prefer to pay upfront in Canadian, if possible, assuming a decent exchange rate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Josie2

I think you are better off to purchase ahead of time in canadian dollars on the rccl website. If you wait and purchase onboard it will be in U.S. dollars and you will have the exchange rate to consider .

Just as an example the ulitmate package for Canadians is $60/day plus 15% which works out to $483

If I purchase onboard in US dollars it will be $55/day plus 15% which works out to $442 US $ plus the current exchange makes it $552 canadian.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To continue my previous post DH and I are sailing the oasis and I booked and paid for 5 specialty restaurants on the canadian website and once onboard I will receive a 30% onboard credit ( all obc are in US dollars) for the value of the restaurant fees paid. I also have a $200 onboard credit that I will use to pay our gratuities. I figure with our current exchange rate I've saved quite a bit paying for as much as I can ahead of time. It will only be a matter of time until rccl changes the pricing for Canadians given the exchange rate.

Omg.... The customer service ( and their knowledge) is pathetic!

Just ridiculous!

I'm on the phone right now...

First agent said for an 8 day cruise, I need to pay for 9 days... That's why the price increased the last 2 days????umm, no.

Now speaking with a " supervisor " that clearly can't add...have been on hold for 20 mins as he had to go figure something out.

What I think happened is that they are still advertising $20.71 CAN daily for the package, but it is actually more now that the dollar has dropped, and they are charging more, but haven't changed the price online.

$20.71 x 8 = $165.68 that's what it should be...then add gratuities and its $190.56

not the $186.96 that their math shows...then they add the gratuties for a total of $215!

I am so getting the run around. He came back and said that there is a 2 tier level for the packages and the Independence costs more to have the package.

U.S. cruiser here. I just checked this out for my 7 nighter. The total was $152.95.

$19 x 7 = $133

$133 + 15% service charge ($19.95) = $152.95

Wow... I asked the agent to give me a total in US funds for our 8 day, and he quoted $160... All gratuties in.

He said it was $20 total gratuities were included in the $20.

I'm waiting to speak to someone else, but I don't think they are goung to change anything.

I guess we will wait until we board and figure it out then. How frustration dealing with Royal customer service! They need some Disney training.... Now that's customer service!

Crazy math and poor customer service. I'm trying to decide if I should pre book now, in Canadian or wait. But the frustration of the non explanations is crazy.

Also, I don't think it's exchange rate related as the amounts are suspiciously close to the service charge.

Edited by Josie2

Crazy math and poor customer service. I'm trying to decide if I should pre book now, in Canadian or wait. But the frustration of the non explanations is crazy.

Yes, this is my frustration too.....just be honest! Don't make things up.

.........Yes, we raised the prices because of the current exchange rate, and haven't changed our online price. Done. Why is that so hard?

But I still think they should be offering what is being advertised. Imagine if they posted a price for a cruise then added an addition fee without an explanation...

Unheard of.

Edited by son3cruisers

Thanks for your perseverance! Interesting is that last week I had none of these issues.

Ok Josie,

The final result is I was charged $215 for the package and then they refunded me $25. 00 which is the difference in price to the correct calculations.

The resolution dept said that they could not actually change the price of the package. In her opinion , it appears to be an IT issue and that Canadians are being charged an extra day. She put in a "ticket" and it can take up to 3 weeks for IT to fix.

With the dollar dropping at a rapid speed, I went ahead and booked today.

I did ask what happens to other Canadians that might book in the next few weeks...and she said, there was nothing that Royal could do until IT fixes it.So I said, " ok, so you are going to charge Canadians for an extra day without them knowing they are paying too much?" And she responded " they would have to call to be refunded the difference." Wow... What a company. Knowingly charging more.

I hope that helps you out Josie. Seems like a lot of work for $25.00 but I would rather it in my pocket then theirs.

Good luck.

Thanks son. I am getting an alcohol package so if it's an additional day charge it's $54 I can't believe this is a solution they are encouraging. ! I may call tomorrow and see what happens. I too am worried they may raise prices to cover the exchange rate. So you went from a regular rep to a supervisor to resolutions. I want to be sure I get the correct departments!

Thanks son. I am getting an alcohol package so if it's an additional day charge it's $54 I can't believe this is a solution they are encouraging. ! I may call tomorrow and see what happens. I too am worried they may raise prices to cover the exchange rate. So you went from a regular rep to a supervisor to resolutions. I want to be sure I get the correct departments!

Yes...2 agents ( both idiots) then resolution. Over an hour on the phone. A ticket to IT was created, so I'm sure if you told them that then you could be refunded the difference as well. Be persistent!

Let us know how it works out fo you.

Well well. Why all the false information ? Great way to run a company - don't tell our first line help desk client relations staff what's going on!

So this weeks delay has cost me $62. My fault entirely and I accept that but holy moly!!

Gosh, I'm so glad I purchased our drink packages on Friday. I had a feeling they would change the price. Adding another $121 to a package for both dh and myself would have been painful!

Good call. We bought one a few weeks ago but only decided recently to get another. Guess we're splitting the difference!

At least you got the bargain for one package! I booked and paid for our specialty restaurants ( in canadian $) as well and I will use our obc for gratuities.