Think I've made a huge error - Western Caribbean cruise

MrsT3030

Booked to take the Carnival Sunsine cruise in May to Western Caribbean - Costa Maya, Belize, Mohogany Bay....

Just come to find there is Malaria risk in some of these stops.

We are travelling with a 2 year old who is tiny for her age (7kg) so too small for most malaria meds anyway, not that I would want to give them to her.

We booked a non-refundable cruise (silly me....) but I'm hoping that we will be able to transfer to the Southern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Valor, the day before.

Does anyone know if Carnival will let us transfer our deposit like this (waiting for my TA to let me know)

Absolutely devastated, there is no way I could comforably take my DD on that trip now.

Perhaps my own fault for not checking before we booked but I spoke to someone at Carnival extensively about which cruise to choose before we booked, and this wasn't mentioned at all.

Booked to take the Carnival Sunsine cruise in May to Western Caribbean - Costa Maya, Belize, Mohogany Bay....

We are travelling with a 2 year old who is tiny for her age (7kg) so too small for most malaria meds anyway, not that I would want to give them to her.

We booked a non-refundable cruise (silly me....) but I'm hoping that we will be able to transfer to the Southern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Valor, the day before.

Does anyone know if Carnival will let us transfer our deposit like this (waiting for my TA to let me know)

Absolutely devastated, there is no way I could comforably take my DD on that trip now.

Perhaps my own fault for not checking before we booked but I spoke to someone at Carnival extensively about which cruise to choose before we booked, and this wasn't mentioned at all.

There are all kinds of diseases spread by mosquitoes in the Caribbean. If you are that worried, don't go. Or avoid areas that you would expect to have them, or use repellent. Avoid early morning and sunset times.

You can probably swap cruises with a penalty, but I can't say for sure because you did not give the rate you booked under.

There are all kinds of diseases spread by mosquitoes in the Caribbean. If you are that worried, don't go. Or avoid areas that you would expect to have them, or use repellent. Avoid early morning and sunset times.

You can probably swap cruises with a penalty, but I can't say for sure because you did not give the rate you booked under.

Thank you. I booked the super saver fare. We travel a lot and I've not considered this before, but these are new stops to us so thought I'd check (expecting to see there was no risk) and was surprised to see there was.

With Early Saver fare (and if you are before final payment date), there is a $50 penalty (you are in effect cancelling the cruise and booking a new one). Not sure if that same penalty applies to Super Saver (didn't even know they still had that fare code anymore after they restructured the fare codes).

While there are valid concerns for diseases spread by mosquitoes & other bugs in the Caribbean (and everywhere else), these concerns are often overstated by the internet. I have been to ports of call during times where they were really alarming everyone traveling to those ports in particular about the bugs. However, when I got there, it didn't seem like there was any problem. I'm sure there were some bugs around, but nothing at all to worry about. I never even opened my bugspray. But it's smart to bring the bugspray, and get a good one. Bugs are very common throughout all Caribbean islands, so switching cruises is probably not the answer. Just come prepared. Families cruise to these islands all the time. Maybe some parents with small children who have traveled to the Caribbean can come on here & share what they did to prepare.

Or, perhaps there is some uniquely special legitimate super concern for those islands that I am unaware of. If not, then it's probably nothing out of the ordinary.

Edited by k2excursion

Thank you. I booked the super saver fare. We travel a lot and I've not considered this before, but these are new stops to us so thought I'd check (expecting to see there was no risk) and was surprised to see there was.

Just noticed you are coming from the UK. Did you look up the mosquito born illnesses we have here? Florida is probably the mosquito capital of the US although we have a pretty good population here in Louisiana too.

The risk is not zero which is why I said, if you are that worried, don't go.

My family just takes our chances because I worry more about the repellent than I do the tiny chance we will get something.

As for the super saver fare I think you are out of luck for a transfer.

SUPER SAVER

Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person and based on double occupancy. Offer is capacity controlled. Carnival reserves the right to withdraw and/or change offer at any time without prior notice. Cruise Fare does not include Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses range from $42.38 to $324.27, and are assessed on a per guest basis and according to the itinerary. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking. Full names are required for each guest. No name changes are allowed. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Offer is applicable to guarantee categories IS/OV/BL/ST only. Guest may select stateroom type (e.g. interior, ocean view, balcony or suite), but Carnival assigns the deck and location of the stateroom. Stateroom assignment will be provided at the time of check in on embarkation day. Super Saver fare does not qualify for price protection. Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered. Cancellation penalties apply. Request rate code PSV. Offer is not available on Carnival Australia sailings. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas, Panama & Malta.

Unfortunately you will find various diseases that are spread by mosquitoes all over the Caribbean, no matter whether you go Eastern, Western or Southern. It's just the way it is in that climate. I was born and raised in a Caribbean island and the "threat" of getting a disease was always there, most notably Dengue Fever. Yet, neither I or my siblings ever caught any of them. The most important thing to remember is to wear insect repellent at all times. My parents always had bottles of insect repellent in their kitchen, and even to this day, my mother still makes me (along with my wife and kids now) spray it on any time we visit.

We did the same itinerary to the Western Caribbean aboard the Carnival Dream when my son was just shy of 2 years old and I never worried. Once again, always wear insect repellent when you are outdoors and remember to reapply often. Also avoid places where mosquito concentrations are more likely, like in overly humid places (rainforest for example).

It's understandable that you are concerned about any possible threats, but don't make these concerns larger than they really need to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I wouldn't worry too much about this. There are excellent insect repellants for babies and toddles, very effective.

I live on a tropical island where 60% has been infected with the Chikungunya virus, but my family is serious about repellant and -knock on wood - no one in the family has had it.

Thank you so much for all these helpful responses. Hopefully my travel agent maybe able to assist although this has calmed my nerves if he can't.

I appreciate there are other mosquito borne illnesses around but Malaria in particular worries me if it can be avoided.

Thank you so much for all these helpful responses. Hopefully my travel agent maybe able to assist although this has calmed my nerves if he can't.

I appreciate there are other mosquito borne illnesses around but Malaria in particular worries me if it can be avoided.

Malaria can be cured. Some of the other diseases can't be. I am not sure why that is the one that is worrying you.

Do you know someone that had malaria?

Malaria can be cured. Some of the other diseases can't be. I am not sure why that is the one that is worrying you.

Do you know someone that had malaria?

Nope - I would just tend to avoid countries with a Malaria risk. I guess the dengue fever thing is also a legitimate concern. We've taken our DH to Florida 4 times now and to the Bahamas and honestly I've never considered it.

I looked these countries up because they were unfamiliar to me and was concerned with what I read.

Add that the risk significantly goes down because ships usually depart before evening (mosquito activity is highest). If you add mosquito repellant, return to the ship well before dusk, and speak with doctor or pediatrician about preventative medicines... I bet your nerves can be calmed

Sent from my iPad using Forums

(expecting to see there was no risk)

No such place exists.

You're at more risk of injury/illness in getting to the port and getting home than anywhere else on this trip, other than regular gunk on the ship that happens from time to time.

Edited by fuddrules

Out of interest, does. Anyone know whether the risk with be significantly lower of we stayed on the ship for Honduras, which is where he risk seems to be. I had not expected to disembark at every port anyway (although I'd have been horrified at the thought of staying on ship pre-baby!)

Out of interest, does. Anyone know whether the risk with be significantly lower of we stayed on the ship for Honduras, which is where he risk seems to be. I had not expected to disembark at every port anyway (although I'd have been horrified at the thought of staying on ship pre-baby!)

Technically staying onboard would be 1/3 lower risk, but you do understand the ship docks right at the land and mosquitos don't need a s&s card to get onboard. You will be missing out on Roatan, my favorite Caribbean island, but it is your choice.

I personally think your fear is totally unfounded, but the risk is not zero anywhere you go in the Caribbean and the US of a mosquito born illness.

Technically staying onboard would be 1/3 lower risk, but you do understand the ship docks right at the land and mosquitos don't need a s&s card to get onboard. You will be missing out on Roatan, my favorite Caribbean island, but it is your choice.

I personally think your fear is totally unfounded, but the risk is not zero anywhere you go in the Caribbean and the US of a mosquito born illness.

Thank you. Your post is very reassuring and much appreciated.

Edited by MrsT3030

I started cruising with my daughter when she was 18 months old (she is now 31). First cruise was around the Caribbean , through the Panama Canal, Pacific Coast Mexico and ending in California. There wasn't a problem then and there shouldn't be now.

Here are some helpful tips to avoid bites"

Mosquitoes and other biting insects find their food sources in animals that are on the ground or in trees. If you are sitting on a balcony or platform that is at least 10 feet above the ground (or water), there will be very few mosquitoes up there.

Mosquitoes and other biting insects are light. If there is a breeze, they can not fly.

Wear light or neutral colored clothing. The insects are attracted to colors that are bright or dark. They also go after metallics and the color blue.

If you are going into the area where you are afraid of insect bites, spray your clothing and hat with insect repellent. Lightly apply repellent to exposed areas such as face, hands, feet. Make sure your clothing is not loose and flowing. The insects will go under the loose garments and bite.

Ask your doctor what is recommended for use on your child.

A recent study found that mosquitoes, when given a choice, will bite a person with O type blood over those with A, B, or AB blood types. This is true. My husband is an O and I am A. He will sometimes have insect bites while I have none.

In any case, you have already traveled to Florida and the Bahamas with your daughter. We have a host of mosquito born diseases here and the Bahamas (including malaria) and your daughter has not had a problem.

Relax and enjo the cruise you have already booked. Just take the appropriate precautions as necessary.

We took our family, including a four-year-old, on a cruise to Belize and Honduras. Our pediatrician did not recommend malaria meds. We brought bug repellent but found we hardly had to use it. No bug bites at all, much less malaria. There are so many things that COULD happen to us every day, at home or on vacation, but we can't live in fear of all the million what-ifs. I can understand that this is a particular fear of yours. We probably all have those. I know I do. And if you can change the cruise, it might make it easier for you to relax and enjoy yourself. But I don't think you should let such a tiny risk make you cancel what will be an amazing vacation. :)

Been to these ports MANY times, never used bug spray...never had a problem....

I have never even noticed a mosquito in Roatan, but then again, when cruise ship passengers are on land, the mosquitoes must be sleeping during the hot sun....or whatever they do....

Actually you aren't going to mainland Hondurus. You are going to a very, very westernized island to the north that doesn't have rain forests etc. Mahogany Bay looks like any Florida tourist attraction. Besides, central America is not known as a high malaria risk and most tourist centric sites are sprayed. The closer you get to the equator the more risk from Malaria.

I do land vacations in Roatan..a great spot called Barefoot Cay... and the tradewinds keep all the bugs away. Have never run into a mosquito in decades.

We traveled to all three stops when my son was 10 months old....we made sure his vaccines were current and he had his flu shot (recommendation of his pediatrician). We made sure we had repellent safe for children and used it while on our trip. If you go on Amazon, they have stickers you can put on their clothing. This is what we use now that he is 4.

There are risks everywhere you go, only you can decide what you are comfortable with .

We were just in Belize, Roatan and Cozumel over Christmas, and it would never have occurred to me to consider anti-malaria meds or even to worry about malaria. If I had planned to spend several months or even weeks embedded in the jungle doing archaeological work or something of that nature, then perhaps. For a day spent sight-seeing off the ship? Nah. Like others have said, wear a good mosquito repellent (with as much DEET as a 2 year old can stand) and take proper protective measures, and you will be fine. My kids and I each came home with 2-3 mosquito bites from our trip, and we were in the jungle zip-lining and visiting Mayan ruins. I would imagine on the beach or other toddler-friendly places, the risk would be even lower. Enjoy your cruise!

I totally agree with you!

I think you are over thinking the mosquito illnesses. I have been to these islands and I didn't even see a mosquito at all (believe me if they were there they would have found me. I get eaten up here in South Texas during the summer). Just pick excursions that take you to the beach and not in the rainforest or jungle. If you do go on those excursions then put on insect repellant. It is not that hard to protect yourself.

We just got off the Valor on the Southern Carribean ports and they had the same warnings as all the islands in the Carribean do. You need to stop worrying so much. If you are going to stay on the ship in Roatan then don't go...that is the one island on this trip you will want to see. It is absolutely gorgeous. I hope you quit worrying so much. Just think of all the people that go there every week on a cruise. Have you ever heard of a Malaria outbreak from a cruise ship visiting Raotan???