Certificate of Birth Abroad

fireishott

Hey guys,

I have a question. I was born in Germany (Army Brat) so i have a cert of birth abroad but my last name is hyphenated, and on my Birth Cert it has my last names reversed so it has my fathers name first and my mothers name second. All my life i have used my mothers name first and fathers second. including on my Social Sec Card and Drivers Licence. Sorry if this does not make any sense. but my question is will i run into issues with this has anyone had to deal with a similar problem. Thanks for looking

Is your birth certificate in English? There is an additional form that goes with that birth record in your situation and I remember reading about issues of US citizens born to military members over seas.

One of the issues was the person I'm thinking of was born in a Germany hospital, BC in German and that poster did not have the document that reported the "birth Abroad" sorry can't remember the name of that doc. Anyhow they were denied boarding as the German document did not prove US citizenship.

As to your hyphenated name, you situation just gets messier and messier. You need to clean it up with a passport and not worry about being denied boarding.

Good luck!

Just reread your post, sound like you have the correct document. Remember the check in people are not document experts. I would still clean the questions up with a passport!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

Thanks for you fast response. I have an Old passport that has expired by many years from when i was a young baby because the picture in it is a baby picture (Man i was chubby) So i am defiantly trying to get a passport i am looking at ordering the passport in the next 2 weeks. Will having my Cert of Birth abroad cause any delays in getting my passport we leave May 24 on the pride. To answer the question everything on the Cert is in English.

Thanks for you fast response. I have an Old passport that has expired by many years from when i was a young baby because the picture in it is a baby picture (Man i was chubby) So i am defiantly trying to get a passport i am looking at ordering the passport in the next 2 weeks. Will having my Cert of Birth abroad cause any delays in getting my passport we leave May 24 on the pride. To answer the question everything on the Cert is in English.

I cannot imagine that the Consular Report of Birth abroad would cause too many delays by itself but the name issue might.

I would not delay, get this started now. Be sure and provide info from that expired passport. Your situation is unique enough I would not mess around. In our family a hyphenated last name has been nothing but a pain in the ass! Who the heck ever thought that was a good idea I don't know....

Good luck to you, don't wait even 2 weeks. The form is online, you can fill it out, print it off and in our town we go to the post office. Get your passport picture and see if you need an appt to apply. In our small town we just need to know when the guy goes to lunch. You have plenty of time if you start now!

Glad i am not the only one who dislikes this Hyphenated last name (Thanks Mom), I have to wait 2 weeks due to on top of all this i moved from Kentucky to Indiana so i have to get a new licence before i can apply for my passport. and to get my Indiana licence i gotta take a stupid test then wait 10 days for it to come in the mail

Edited by fireishott

It has been several years since I applied for my passport but do not remember them requesting to see my Driver's License. If so, why not just show them your Kentucky License?

As another poster mentioned, you situation is very unique.... I would go directly down to the passport office and get the bottom line from THEM and not from posters here on CC.

It would be heartbreaking to get to the port and realize that your documentation will not be accepted.

Best of luck to you .

yes it is still valid

If you have it in your possession and it is still valid there is no reason you can not use it as part of your id to apply. You need to take the expired passport also when you apply, as they will go back and look at that info to support your current application. So get going and get your passport!

It has been several years since I applied for my passport but do not remember them requesting to see my Driver's License. If so, why not just show them your Kentucky License?

As another poster mentioned, you situation is very unique.... I would go directly down to the passport office and get the bottom line from THEM and not from posters here on CC.

It would be heartbreaking to get to the port and realize that your documentation will not be accepted .

Best of luck to you .

You need to present a government issued photo ID to the passport accetpance facility and a copy of it is submitted with your application.

Edited by sparks1093

Shouldn't be any delay because of your Certificate of Birth Abroad. I was born in Canada to an American mom and Canadian dad. I have a Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Consulate in Toronto. When I applied for my passport nearly 3 years ago, I was told it would take 3-4 weeks. I had it in 10 days.

Of course, this is a federal government operation, so your results may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, our son was set to cruise a couple of years ago. He had a certificate of birth abroad from being born in Germany when we were in the army. Well, he lost the birth cert and getting a replacement for a birth abroad from the state department is really difficult & he was short on time. He called me because he was scared he would not be able to go. I had an old passport for him from when he was a baby in Germany, that had expired about 25 years ago. I sent it to him, he did all of the ppwk for a new passport with a rush, they accepted it as proof of citizenship, even though it had expired in like 1989 & he had his passport within about 3 weeks. Passport agency did not need the birth cert because of the old passport. I think you should be able to get your passport just fine.

I hope this helps.

Penny:)

So, our son was set to cruise a couple of years ago. He had a certificate of birth abroad from being born in Germany when we were in the army. Well, he lost the birth cert and getting a replacement for a birth abroad from the state department is really difficult & he was short on time. He called me because he was scared he would not be able to go. I had an old passport for him from when he was a baby in Germany, that had expired about 25 years ago. I sent it to him, he did all of the ppwk for a new passport with a rush, they accepted it as proof of citizenship, even though it had expired in like 1989 & he had his passport within about 3 weeks. Passport agency did not need the birth cert because of the old passport. I think you should be able to get your passport just fine.

I hope this helps.

Penny:)

Thats what i am hoping for...when i go to the passport office i plan to have my expired passport from 1989, cert of birth abroad, and license...i should be good

As far as the Certificate of Birth Abroad, that particular document should not be an issue, but as stated, the hyphenated name may be. I too was born in Landstuhl, Germany as a US Army dependent. I have used my Dept of State Certificate of Birth Abroad which was issued by the US State Dept. Have never had a problem using it along with a drivers license. My actual German birth certificate could cause confusion, though I do bring it just in case, but will not use that as a proof of citizenship, as it states nowhere that I am an American citizen. I also do have a passport that I prefer to use, though.

• 2 months later...
Not to re hash an old thread but thanks for all the advice I was able to get my passport with no issues and now I can board with piece of mind. Thanks for all the insight and suggestions

Always glad to here updates. Did they hassle you about the name?

Nope did not here one thing, I had to mail my certificate of birth abroad with my "backwards" name and my old passport which had the name still backwards and a copy of my license which has my name correctly. And when I got it all back the passport has my name just how my license reads it did take two weeks longer, my wife and I mailed our applications in on the same day and she got hers back a little over 4 weeks and it took mine about 7 weeks

Nope did not here one thing, I had to mail my certificate of birth abroad with my "backwards" name and my old passport which had the name still backwards and a copy of my license which has my name correctly. And when I got it all back the passport has my name just how my license reads it did take two weeks longer, my wife and I mailed our applications in on the same day and she got hers back a little over 4 weeks and it took mine about 7 weeks

Good. I misspelled DW's wife on the application and that is how they put it on the passport even though it was spelled correctly on her naturalization certificate. Fortunately they issued a correct passport at no charge and even the correction didn't take that long to receive back.