Mighty Cruise Ships - Solstice on UK QUEST TV

DYKWIA

Don't know how many people caught Mighty Cruise Ships in the UK on Quest Channel last night - focused on a 17 night cruise around Australia aboard Celebrity Solstice - showed the good stuff and some of the challenges the crew face.

Quest is on Freeview and no doubt this documentary will be shown many many mnay times in the near future

I watched this in Canada recently. Loved it, especially the behind the scenes stuff I bet the pax didn't know anything about, i.e. the high water temps in northeastern Oz wreaking havoc with the ship's systems. Also saw and enjoyed a show on a Ponant yacht in Indonesia, including a couple ports the cap't had never been to before and wasn't very familiar with!!!!!!!

One thing I didn't understand on the Solstice show was the barrier reef pilot who came aboard and had to stay awake for the whole time (about 48 hours).

Surely it is preferable and significantly safer two have two pilots working shifts?

One thing I didn't understand on the Solstice show was the barrier reef pilot who came aboard and had to stay awake for the whole time (about 48 hours).

Surely it is preferable and significantly safer two have two pilots working shifts?

Not sure why he had to stay awake?

We did Millie from Honolulu to Singapore a year ago. The pilot boarded once we entered Australian waters and he stayed with us for the whole time we moved up the coast through the Great Barrier reef for about 7 days.

He even gave a seminar in the theater it seemed that all ships passing through the GBR must be accompanied by a pilot to ensure compliance with the route and no damage or threat to the reef but he did not stay awake for the duration?

The satellite positioning on the ship could thread a path through the reef but the pilot is there to ensure compliance especially with Chinese freighters that may not have the most modern equipment.

If you missed this and want to watch it's available on YouTube. Just search for mighty ships solstice. We are hoping to do this cruise in 2016 so it was interesting to watch.

It's also on Quest tonight in about 6 minutes time :).

• 3 weeks later...