self debarkation

kristinar

I realize some passengers are in a hurry to catch flights/tours and need to hustle off the ship. I am in the opposite category...planning on leisurely exloring Vancouver for several days post cruise. Can anyone tell me about staying on the ship, carrying my own bags (who do you notify of this?) and avoiding all the rush? Thanks!

But regardless of when you actually depart the ship they will definitely want you to vacate your cabin usually by 8 or 8:30 AM. Check your disembarkation instructions for the exact time. I have never seen it later than this, on our cruise a few weeks ago it was 8 AM.

If you plan to have all of your luggage with you and are not getting off the ship with until later, you will be dragging it around or sitting in a public area. People who disembark later usually put the luggage out the night before so they only have carry on bags to deal with in the morning.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

You don't have to tell anyone when you want to get off, just wait around until everyone is gone and walk off.

I don't recommend that as they are trying to clear the ship. If you are just hanging around they will want to find you and get you off. It is a big ship and there will be people all over the place so the idea of just waiting until everyone is gone is difficult as you won;t know if everyone is gone.

If you just sneak around, I am sure, security would be happy to help you off the ship.

I don't recommend that as they are trying to clear the ship. If you are just hanging around they will want to find you and get you off. It is a big ship and there will be people all over the place so the idea of just waiting until everyone is gone is difficult as you won;t know if everyone is gone.

If you just sneak around, I am sure, security would be happy to help you off the ship.

I agree. They will not start the process for the newly arriving pax until all of the departing pax from the previous cruise are confirmed cleared off the ship. So just "wondering around" could delay the new pax, and certainly not make you very popular with ship's staff.

Some of this will be determined by how soon the ship is cleared for disembarkation. As others have said, you will need to be out of your cabin by 8 or 8:30. It varies from ship to ship. The information will be in a disembarkation notice delivered to your cabin during the cruise.

We have left the ship late, after the crowds have died down. I would not recommend carrying your own luggage, unless you just have carry-on. Rather, I would check with Passenger Services and request to be in the last color group (the ship is organized into assigned groups of colors and numbers for disembarkation). Go ahead and let your large luggage go off the ship, and then just have your carry-on with you while you wait.

As long as you wait in visible, common areas of the ship, I do not think anyone will give you a hard time. But at some point, you will need to go to your assigned disembarkation lounge and then you will be alerted when your color is called. We have done this the last couple of times and both times have not left the ship until almost 11 a.m. The gangway, customs and immigration and the terminal were much less crowded.

Edited by SingerEsq
additional comment

Some of this will be determined by how soon the ship is cleared for disembarkation. As others have said, you will need to be out of your cabin by 8 or 8:30. It varies from ship to ship. The information will be in a disembarkation notice delivered to your cabin during the cruise.

We have left the ship late, after the crowds have died down. I would not recommend carrying your own luggage, unless you just have carry-on. Rather, I would check with Passenger Services and request to be in the last color group (the ship is organized into assigned groups of colors and numbers for disembarkation). Go ahead and let your large luggage go off the ship, and then just have your carry-on with you while you wait.

As long as you wait in visible, common areas of the ship, I do not think anyone will give you a hard time. But at some point, you will need to go to your assigned disembarkation lounge and then you will be alerted when your color is called. We have done this the last couple of times and both times have not left the ship until almost 11 a.m. The gangway, customs and immigration and the terminal were much less crowded.

That is true. That is what we did as I have said and it worked great. We had no problem finding our bags and we were out of customs quickly.

True, but you did say "You don't have to tell anyone when you want to get off".

To me, that is sneaking around......

I was refering to a request for certain disembarkation time for bag tags.

They will already have an alloted time and tags based on any info that Princess already has from the passenger. If they have none I am sure it will be based on deck.

I realize some passengers are in a hurry to catch flights/tours and need to hustle off the ship. I am in the opposite category...planning on leisurely exloring Vancouver for several days post cruise. Can anyone tell me about staying on the ship, carrying my own bags (who do you notify of this?) and avoiding all the rush? Thanks!

Realize that you would have to be able to take care of your luggage yourself. And without being able to impede any one else's progress. Is there a reason why you don't want to put actual suitcases out the night before -- it would make it easier for you and everyone else if you utilize the normal system.