50% off 3rd passenger - fuzzy math

inq

Consumers shouldn't HAVE to ask "What's the catch?"

Deceptive marketing can't be explained away with "Oh, people should just know better".

There are consumer protection laws and anyone that feels that those laws are being broken (i.e. truly deceptive marketing) may file a complaint with the appropriate authorities.

Consumers shouldn't HAVE to ask "What's the catch?"

Deceptive marketing can't be explained away with "Oh, people should just know better".

You misunderstand....Consumers don't HAVE to ask....not at all. Asking questions and understanding what is going on is totally optional. However, while consumers don't HAVE to ask, smart and savvy consumers WILL ask. Smart and savvy consumers will read and understand the terms and conditions ahead of time. Smart and savvy consumers will be aware of what the offer is, instead of what the hype says.

A smart and savvy consumer can look at...

Offer 1: 7 day cruise for $599

Offer 2: 7 day cruise for $699 with $100 OBC

...and know that a) they are NOT the same thing, and b) that one is a better deal than the other.

It isn't the job of the marketing department to spell it out for you.

Look around, you don't see the smart and savvy consumers whining and complaining now, do you?

Oh, please stop. I am as smart and savvy as any seasoned traveler. I got the deal yesterday. I found a cruise where the kids were actually 100% free and got the beverage package. Paid very, very little for 4 people in an aft balcony. If it has been as favorable,I would also have booked other sailings.

I took advantage and booked smart. I always get great travel deals. That doesn't mean I can't also be disgusted with what happened with this sale.

Edited by conandrob240

True. We booked Saturday and got third person free with more OBC and ultimate beverage package. Today same package would have been worth $800 more because it is $700 for extra person and half of OBC of $100. Oh, not to mention the price went up about 300 + dollars. This promo was until end of Jan 2015, according to my cruise consultant. So, savvy is my middle name. You have to basically "hound dog" the website. No offense. I love doggies! :-)

You needed to go thru an NCL cruise consultant. Usually, can get better than price on Internet. However, 1/31/2015 was the end of lower prices, third person free, and more OBC , for certain advanced bookings. That was told to me on Saturday. You just have to look a lot in line and get your private cruise consultant. We have been successful with that. They will lower cruise prices if you deal with an NCL cruise consultant.

My pcc with NCL admitted that the 50 percent off sailings were not a good deal but the free ones were. It took me one mock booking online to figure that out. At least he admitted it. At least the free ones were a great deal, unlike on Carnival last year. They really did increase the prices to compensate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Should I make it my mission to visit every board and comment on how unhappy I am with something they are doing wrong?

I don't have the time or inclination. You may go ahead if it makes you happy.

You sure as hell do a good enough job of doing that here. For somebody that states you don't have time to do this, you seem to pop up in almost every NCL thread to complain about them, but you state you still sail them. I have YET to see you say anything positive about them...

UPNYGuy

The math is clearly "fuzzy".

Try Getaway for virtually any date in March or April. 3rd / 4th sharing prices are actually HIGHER than fares for guests 1/2 in many cases.

One voyage I looked at - rate for 1/2 are $899/pp for Oceanview. Yet the 3/4 sharing are $1859 per person. That would mean that the 3rd person sharing rate for oceanview is $3718 per person for a 7-night Caribbean before the 50% reduction.

Called NCL and they said "oh - that's correct pricing, we are charging $3700+ now for 3rd/4th on the Caribbean sailings". How ludicrous. :rolleyes:

Another botched NCL promo that is poorly implemented. Let me rush to book my 50% off 3rd / 4th (at double what it would cost to just book them their own stateroom). :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know it's frustrating when a sale does not benefit you but there are some deals out there. I booked the lowest category we would be happy with and booked as far out as I could. For the past year I've watched different sales and promos come up and none could match the original booking. This particular sale is the first one that actually beat my original fare. It really was KSF and KS half for my Europe cruise. It beat my original booking cost and gave me some hefty perks. If you book early enough at a price and category that you can live with, chances are something will come along before you sail, even if it's a room upgrade. i got lucky in that I was 2 days away from final payment when this sale came up. I sure was not expecting it and I was shooting for a potential upgrade before sailing.

I still call "shady" on this. In what alternate reality is the price of a third passenger ever higher than the first two? The sailing I was interested in has 1st and 2nd at $1269 but third at $1599. C'mon! That's ridiculous.

That is exactly what happened to me....those prices too, maybe we were looking at the same cruise.:):)

NCL is not the only cruise line promoting these ridiculous so called sales. There is a Buy one Get one half off sale with another cruise line that is simply another complete joke.

In summary, KSF - likely good deals.

KS 50% - they doubled the price the day before the sale, so 50% off of an inflated number was no savings! Part of the NCL's number's game!

For us, since the kids are in school, I couldn't find one single cruise that offers KSF during off time. Oh well, didn't book anything. :(