Luggage Dropped in Ocean... Anyone else had this issue?

jmbeebe0722

In my opinion, I would have met with a supervisor and opened and noted the bag contents in the terminal. Get signed statements. Don't leave without doing so. Then at least you have a factual account of the contents. Taking photos with the terminal viewable would also be suggested.

I agree with some of the others about it not being Carnival's fault. Since they don't employ the port workers it's kind of out of their hands. It may be a bit of a battle if you went through them to try to get more than what's outlined in the contract. Chances are they're going to send you to whoever is responsible for the port workers. It's an unfortunate situation and I'd be highly upset too, but it would save an additional headache to go through whoever is in charge of the port workers and what goes on there. Also, as many others have said, check to see if you have travel insurance through your credit card. They may be able to cover your losses.

I think most people are missing something here. The bag was dropped into the ocean! Whoever was offloading the luggage wasn't careful. As for the wine being in the luggage, well, it has to be in checked bags to board a plane. Why on earth not mention that! Call Carnival and hopefully they will do something, otherwise call the insurance company and tell them everything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think most people are missing something here. The bag was dropped into the ocean! Whoever was offloading the luggage wasn't careful. As for the wine being in the luggage, well, it has to be in checked bags to board a plane. Why on earth not mention that! Call Carnival and hopefully they will do something, otherwise call the insurance company and tell them everything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't think anyone missed the fact it was dropped in the ocean. The answers are pointing out that even though it isn't fair there is a legal contract that lets Carnival off the hook. They might do something more, but they certainly aren't required to, so the best bet is going to be travelers insurance or homeowners insurance. Does that answer feel non satisfying? Of course it does, but I would assume they posted to get a realistic answer and not the answer we and they wish was true.

I work in insurance; majority of HO policies round these parts have $500 ded. Leaving more than $1000 for the claim. And anything specifically scheduled, won't be subject to a deductible. $1000 claim check or even $500 claim check is better than $50 from Carnival

Edited by jenne252

I'm really sorry this happened to you, as I would be upset. However I believe Carnival's responsibility ended at the door of the ship. I know that many people cruise without insurance. The price of the Carnival policy would have been a lot less than the loss you have sustained. I hope it works out for you but don't blame Carnival for the Longshoreman error. Blame there union who control all ports in the US.

The reality is that the cruise contract clearly states Carnivals limit of liability for luggage.

Their liability is $50 for the bag. To get anything more you will need to have some other insurance coverage. The travel insurance sold by the cruise line has much higher coverage. So do many credit cards, for example, the United Airlines card from Chase has $3000 coverage if used for the entire trip cost.

Cruise lines have been sticking pretty closely to their stated liability limits in these cases, though the other lines tend to have coverage limits higher than $50 in their contracts (usually in the $200-$300 range).

Also I would document, document, document. Take pictures and keep the damaged items. Because this bag sounds like it had an inordinate amount of pricey items, any insurance claim is going to need proof.

But I can't imagine that even a suitcase filled only with clothing could ever be worth just $50. That is crazy but contractual so they can get away with it.

I work in insurance; majority of HO policies round these parts have $500 ded. Leaving more than $1000 for the claim. And anything specifically scheduled, won't be subject to a deductible. $1000 claim check or even $500 claim check is better than $50 from Carnival

Except that a lot of HO policy issuers adjust the risk rating for the homeowner based upon their claim history and the resulting rate increases may out weigh the value of a small claim like this.

Well thats great for Ohio. Texas isn't that way most policies are 1% deductible

I would just contact their corporate office. Guest Relations. Don't get on the phone emotional and upset (although you have every right to be). Just explain your situation and hopefully someone higher up with some sensitivity will offer you more than $50.

The bag was dropped in the ocean. She's owed more than $50. Even if as a courtesy. Period. Also file a claim with your insurance. Hopefully between the two, your loss is mitigated. Good luck!

Wow.

I never even thought about something like this occurring. I do a walk-off with my own bags and will continue to do so.

Guess the bag could fall off while getting on the ship too but its more difficult to bring big bags on than take them off. This is going to cause me to reassess what I bring on a ship. I do travel with insurance and won't be forgetting this situation any time soon.

Good luck with some sort of resolution.

I understand Carnival's policy. They say $50.00 and they gave it. What I don't understand is why they don't offer resolution assistance for the claim vs the dock workers company. As a company/business that engages in contractual associations with Carnival are they not held liable for any work or actions of their employees? Perhaps I'm naive when it comes to longshoreman work, but why not attempt to recoup your money from the company that actually did the work?

This is exactly what travel insurance is for....

No matter who was/is responsible, there was no way I would have left that office without opening and taking inventory (with pix) of the contents and what it looked like. Then I would have shipped home what I wanted to keep separate from the suitcase (even if I wanted to take the suitcase home as evidence).

Pictures would then been sent straight to the travel insurance company with the claim form, my home owners insurance company and my personal email as well as carnival customer service and JH email. So many people would have had those pix whether they could do something or not.

The Carnival contract is clear so good luck with that....

Yep...my first reaction was the original poster must not have bought travel insurance. His experience is just another good example of why you need insurance when cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Small claims court.

If they want to sue carnival they have to do so in Miami. Not really worth it.

11.* It is agreed by Guest and CARNIVAL that all disputes between Guest and CARNIVAL arising under or in connection with a vacation package shall be litigated, if at all, in and before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida in Miami-Dade County, Florida, U.S.A., to the exclusion of the courts of any other state or county.

The OP seems to make no distinction between what Carnival's legal liability is and what its moral responsibility is.

The language quoted is not an operational policy, it appears to be a provision of a legally binding contract that the OP voluntarily entered into when the ticket was purchased. Even if the luggage was empty, the value of the luggage exceeds the maximum amount agreed to by the OP. OP should go see an attorney regarding any other relief beyond the specific remedy provided in the contract. It doesn't appear that anyone who has responded in this thread is an attorney and, therefore, probably shouldn't be giving legal advice.

Does Carnival have a moral responsibility to make reparations for the actions of a third party that could be either an unfortunate accident or the result of negligence? I'm sure most people would say "yes." But if Carnival chooses not to, does the OP have any remedy? Sure. Do not sail with Carnival in the future, and dissuade others from doing so. If each passenger brings 3 bags on each of Carnival's 26 ships for each of 26 sailings, Carnival handles over 6 million bags annually. Clearly it would cut into their shareholders ROI to "make things right" if even 1% of those 6 million bags cost Carnival $1500. Carnival is a profit-motivated business entity, not a social program.

Don't get me wrong, what has happened and Carnival's response stinks. My point is, stuff happens and life goes on. You get what you bargained for. In this case, the OP bargained for $50.

Been on 12 cruises -- never ever signed a contract. Did I click a button by mistake ?

You clicked "Accept & Purchase" it's your cruise contract and in order to purchase a cruise you did indeed accept their terms of carriage ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums