San Juan Questions

bjtomko

He are departing from San Juan on the Summit. Can you help me understand a few things since we have never departed outside the US?

Can we board the ship and get back off to explore some more, or once we check in are we on the ship until we set sail?

How far is the port from the airport? Do taxi drivers speak English? Sorry I really don't know. Do they take cash or credit?

He are departing from San Juan on the Summit. Can you help me understand a few things since we have never departed outside the US?

Can we board the ship and get back off to explore some more, or once we check in are we on the ship until we set sail?

How far is the port from the airport? Do taxi drivers speak English? Sorry I really don't know. Do they take cash or credit?

For all purposes, San Juan is the US. Your cell phone should work there as if it were local (Check with your provider to be sure), they use American dollars, they speak English, they vote in our elections, etc.

The port is a short ride from the airport, however, if at all possible, I usually fly in a day or two early so I can sightsee.

You can leave the ship and come back, but be aware that all aboard is around 630 or 7. You will need to go thru security again when you return.

The port (Pan American Pier on Grand Isle) is not near anything. to get to anyplace to shop or sightsee you will need to take a cab. be sure that you factor this in when you figure out what you are doing.

Steve

First of all San Juan is a US Port.

The Pan Am dock is away from Old San Juan so if you get off the ship after you check in you would need a taxi to go anywhere.

The taxi ride is about 20 to 25 minutes depending on traffic. Of course the speak English if they want to. Always use cash so do not know about credit card. If I remember it was twenty something with tip.

I, too, recommend flying into SJU a day or two early. OSJ is a beautiful city with a lot of history. Sights and food are something you should see and enjoy. We have always enjoyed our pre-cruise stay. We have never had a bad experience there. It rained practically the entire time we were there in 2013, but that just added to the adventure! We have wonderful memories that we recall and share often. Our favorite place to embark! Hope you take advantage of the opportunity.

You may want to consider a pre or post Cruise stay to do your sight seeing. OSJ is a neat place. I wouldn't suggest getting on and off the ship and back on. As mentioned you will still need to stand in line on your return and go through security again. Too many people and for us not an enjoyable way to start the Cruise. We usally get on the ship early and take that time to explore the ship and just relax.

Edited by davekathy

The cab ride will be about $25 with tip.

Definitely worthwhile getting in a day early. Check out Old San Juan and the fort. There are also some fantastic restaurants. I highly recommend Toro Salao - a Spanish tapas restaurant. We were there with a large group in April 2014 and ordered "one of everything". Great sangria also.

Just got off the Summit on Saturday and it was a terrific cruise! We arrived in San Juan the night before the cruise and stayed at the Embassy Suites. The morning of the cruise we took a taxi to the port and had the taxi drive us directly to where you drop off luggage. The taxi waited while they took our luggage then took us to Old Town. Taxi cost from hotel to port, then to old town was $45 total (I think he might have factored in wait time in the fare). We toured the fort and had a great lunch (recommended by the guards at the fort) then arrived back at the port around 3 pm. There were no lines to check in and we were on the ship in now time. As I said it was a great cruise!

For all purposes, San Juan is the US. Your cell phone should work there as if it were local (Check with your provider to be sure)

Ummm.. apparently Verizon is not aware of this fact. We had no coverage at all in San Juan, St. Croix, or St. Thomas.

Ummm.. apparently Verizon is not aware of this fact. We had no coverage at all in San Juan, St. Croix, or St. Thomas.

Have been to San Juan 4 times and never had a problem with Verizon. St Croix and St Thomas are a different story. They are not part of the Verizon network so it is roaming.

No issue with AT&T at any of the ports you mentioned. Clear connection, no dropped calls or roaming charges.

Edited by davekathy

One cool thing about flying out of the SJU airport for US residents.. There is a duty free store after security near the gates. Anything booze you buy there is packed up in a little nylon carry case with a sealed plastic lock on it. you can then take this onto the plane since it is past security, no limit either since you are in the USA. Prices are good too. You can get Don Q there plus other great rums for example.