Caribbean Ports with Kids - what do you do?

LuCruise

Hi,

Just wanted to check what other families do on port days. Do you book excursions? Do you take a city tour? Or do you go to the beach?

We'll be on Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, St Maarten, St Thomas) with our 10.5 and 6.5 year olds. We're from Canada so beaches are not a regular place for us so am thinking we'll just hit the beach for a couple hours at each port. Not sure if tours will be too boring for kids but am hoping the beach will keep them busy enough. Not sure if any sites rent out fun floats or things. We're not too adventurous and our younger one is just starting swimming lessons so she doesn't swim.

Also, for Nassau, we won't be there for long so doesn't seem worth it to go to the Atlantis. For the others, I worry about nude beaches. So am wondering what other families do. Funny enough, I feel like a cruise is more about the ship than the ports...but still would like to do something when in port.

Edited by LuCruise

We're not big on tours because they kids are young and well tours are expensive :D

My kids are now 7 and 8. They've been on one to two cruises each year for the last several years.

Many ships dock in an area near a beach that is in walking distance or a quick cab ride or water-taxi away. For example in St. Maarten (dutch side) most of the ships dock where there is a water-taxi launch. I think it's $4.00 per person for the day, and it takes you to the beach and/or shopping area. Other times, we'll ask onboard for a beach recommendation and then take a taxi. Most often it's a flat rate of about $10 or so. Ask your dining server for a recommendation on where to go.

Other island's like St. Thomas, (depending on where you dock) there are trams which will take you to the beach - with a flat rate per person, and it includes to the entrance to the beach.

I can't remember what island it is on, but we've been to a nice beach called Crystal Beach. Some of the beaches are "private" beaches which belong to a bar or hotel. You can use the beach for free, but the expectation is that you order food/drink from the bar. My hubby will usually order a few beers, and we'll get some bottled water. Sometimes there are packages for use of water toys, and we'll get those as our "payment" for use of the beach.

On a recent trip, I looked at ziplining but our kids did not meet the min. height/weight requirement.

When they are older we'll do more tours. For now, we pack some sand toys and they just have fun at the beach.

Thanks. Yes, that is the same thought with kids and excursions...expensive on top of probably boring for them.

Do you know any kid friendly beaches in St Thomas or St Maarten that has fun things for them to use (rafts, water wings, snorkel things, boogie boards)? We can always look and purchase before we go but less suitcase space if we can rent an item or two.

Hi,

Just wanted to check what other families do on port days. Do you book excursions? Do you take a city tour? Or do you go to the beach?

We'll be on Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, St Maarten, St Thomas) with our 10.5 and 6.5 year olds. We're from Canada so beaches are not a regular place for us so am thinking we'll just hit the beach for a couple hours at each port. Not sure if tours will be too boring for kids but am hoping the beach will keep them busy enough. Not sure if any sites rent out fun floats or things. We're not too adventurous and our younger one is just starting swimming lessons so she doesn't swim.

Also, for Nassau, we won't be there for long so doesn't seem worth it to go to the Atlantis. For the others, I worry about nude beaches. So am wondering what other families do. Funny enough, I feel like a cruise is more about the ship than the ports...but still would like to do something when in port.

We mix it up at the ports. I'll give you some suggestions we did at these ports with our kids:

Nassau - Pirate Museum (within walking distance), Straw Market, and Stayed on the ship and enjoyed an empty pool and slide.

St. Martin - taxi to a beach (can't remember which one), and Bernard's Tours which took us to Orient Beach (not the nude side), Maho Beach (where the planes land and take off), Marigot for shopping, a place with hundreds of iguanas, and a place where we could hold some sea urchins.

St. Thomas, Air Force One Tours that took us on a tour of the island, a stop at a farmers market, Mountain Top, and Megans Beach (beautiful) and the Screaming Eagle Jet Boat excursion.

We have also done the Glass Bottom Boat in Nassau and the the Semi-submarine in St. Thomas. I would not recommend either.

You need a guidebook on your ports, so you can learn about ALL your options! There are "kid friendly" things...after all, kids do LIVE there! So, read up on where you're going!

Most of the Caribbean is VERY religious and you will NOT find nudity, except on Orient Beach (in one small section) on St. Maarten.....so no worries about that!

Many islands have buses that are MUCH cheaper than taxis....and easy to use. Most beaches may be used by anyone, and there are chair/umbrella rentals avail. even if you're not at a "hotel".... The exception is Atlantis...you pay a hefty price for that!

Ditto the "Glass bottom Boats"....awful!

We mix it up at the ports. I'll give you some suggestions we did at these ports with our kids:

Nassau - Pirate Museum (within walking distance), Straw Market, and Stayed on the ship and enjoyed an empty pool and slide.

St. Martin - taxi to a beach (can't remember which one), and Bernard's Tours which took us to Orient Beach (not the nude side), Maho Beach (where the planes land and take off), Marigot for shopping, a place with hundreds of iguanas, and a place where we could hold some sea urchins.

St. Thomas, Air Force One Tours that took us on a tour of the island, a stop at a farmers market, Mountain Top, and Megans Beach (beautiful) and the Screaming Eagle Jet Boat excursion.

We have also done the Glass Bottom Boat in Nassau and the the Semi-submarine in St. Thomas. I would not recommend either.

Thank you for the suggestions. A pirate museum could be fun in Nassau for our DS. Thanks...I'll check out the ideas.

Yeah..I looked at the glass bottom boats, but then thought maybe we don't want to get off one boat to get on another.

Hi,

So we've been to all three ports. We took the kids off the ship at St Thomas and took them by taxi to Sapphire beach. I can't even begin to explain how incredible that day was.

In St Maarten, we did not take the kids off because mom didn't do such a great job with the sun block in St Thomas and so we left the kids in camp most of the day and explored Phillipsburg on our own. Another great day but this upcoming cruise I plan to take the kids to Maho, to see the planes, and Mullet for some beach.

Nassau left a bad taste in my mouth. We did not take the kids off, not sure why, and proceeded through the building they herd you through. After the 25th person haggled us we had had enough and turned around and spent the rest of the day on the ship. I'd go again if I had someone with experience with me but I did not feel safe there at all.

No matter what, there is so much to do in the ports. Look through the port of call boards here. You'll gather a lot of intel in no time.

Edited to say that my kids are 6 & 9.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Edited by 4Tacos

Thanks. Yes, that is the same thought with kids and excursions...expensive on top of probably boring for them.

Do you know any kid friendly beaches in St Thomas or St Maarten that has fun things for them to use (rafts, water wings, snorkel things, boogie boards)? We can always look and purchase before we go but less suitcase space if we can rent an item or two.

Sorry, i'm so bad on the details and I don't want to lead you astray! I find we get the best advice on board by talking to our waiter or our cabin steward. then you're not really directed to the "touristy" $$$ places but beaches where the crew themselves will go.

One "excursion" we did recently was the Fort in San Juan. We walked to the Fort (it was a 5 minute walk) and paid for a park pass - very inexpensive. My son LOVED the fort. Lots of hills and tunnels to walk through. My DH is a bit of a historian so he explained to my son all the different parts of the fort and how they would be used to defend the island. My daughter liked it too. I remember visiting the Fort as a teen and thinking it was the most boring place i'd ever been. Guess they take more after my hubby than me.

We also always walk around the port and visit the touristy shops. In every port, my daughter buys a souvenir keychain, and my son buys something carved from wood. Just a trinket to add to their collection.

My daughter and I also visit the Pandora shop on every port stop : )

Hi,

In St. Thomas, my kids were a similar age, perhaps a little older. We did an island tour - Henry's Triple E I believe it is called now. He is a retired police office and is WONDERFUL with the kids. We had a small group so he ended up taking us to a local radio station where my kids got to go on air and say "Good Morning St. Thomas!". He also took us by his house, gave them fresh bananas off his tree and cut down a coconut, showed them how to open it up, drink with the water, milk etc. and then they got to taste it. He was just awesome. They still remember him to this day and I bet is has been 5 years

In Nassau, please don't go with any expectations. But I can suggest taking a cab (bus if you are more adventurous and don't mind squeezing in with the locals) to Adastra gradens - its really more of a zoo but watching the flamingos and feeding the birds was quite fun.

In St. Martin I would also look at the boards and perhaps find a beach/snorkeling excursion. The one time I tried to go with them there we couldn't dock due to rough seas. But that was our plan. It was a 3 island snorkel with Marv?

All these ports are easy to do on your own and it will save you $.

In St. Thomas, my kids were a similar age, perhaps a little older. We did an island tour - Henry's Triple E I believe it is called now. He is a retired police office and is WONDERFUL with the kids. We had a small group so he ended up taking us to a local radio station where my kids got to go on air and say "Good Morning St. Thomas!". He also took us by his house, gave them fresh bananas off his tree and cut down a coconut, showed them how to open it up, drink with the water, milk etc. and then they got to taste it. He was just awesome. They still remember him to this day and I bet is has been 5 years

In Nassau, please don't go with any expectations. But I can suggest taking a cab (bus if you are more adventurous and don't mind squeezing in with the locals) to Adastra gradens - its really more of a zoo but watching the flamingos and feeding the birds was quite fun.

In St. Martin I would also look at the boards and perhaps find a beach/snorkeling excursion. The one time I tried to go with them there we couldn't dock due to rough seas. But that was our plan. It was a 3 island snorkel with Marv?

All these ports are easy to do on your own and it will save you $.

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, sadly I've heard that Nassau isn't a great port. It's a shame the ship isn't there longer as I bet the Atlantis would be great for kids but not worth the cost for such a short time.

I will look up the St Thomas tour. Is that an excursion offerred through RCL or you booked on your own?

Not sure in the end if we'll just spend a couple hours at a beach for each port and some local (touristy) shopping by the ship.

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, sadly I've heard that Nassau isn't a great port. It's a shame the ship isn't there longer as I bet the Atlantis would be great for kids but not worth the cost for such a short time.

I will look up the St Thomas tour. Is that an excursion offerred through RCL or you booked on your own?

Not sure in the end if we'll just spend a couple hours at a beach for each port and some local (touristy) shopping by the ship.

We booked St. Thomas on our own. Mr. Henry was easy to find - waiting with a sign when we walked off the ship. He was expecting a few others but when they didn't show, he didn't make us wait and went ahead with just us. It was great.

If you haven't been to St. Thomas, I highly encourage an island tour. There aren't really any beaches by the port and Henry can direct you to which ever beach is best for the day - it changes with weather etc.

I would definitely read some guide books (your public library will have them, and if one really looks like a great source to take with you, you can buy the latest edition on Amazon) and visit some tourism sites (there will be many for this area). See what might interest your kids. You'll know them better than any of us, for sure.

When we took our then-3-year-old on an Eastern Caribbean cruise,I still had dial up Internet so had to depend on the guidebooks more. When we got to St. Thomas, we asked the taxi driver for a beach recommendation and he took us to Sapphire Beach and there were plenty of others from our ship (lots of Carnival towels), especially kids that our girl recognized. Hubby's only complaint was that the bartender was snubbing him, so maybe too much of a cruiser's look or something.

For Nassau, our girl stayed in Camp Carnival while we went off the ship for a few hours and just looked around within walking distance of the pier.

I would definitely read some guide books (your public library will have them' date=' and if one really looks like a great source to take with you, you can buy the latest edition on Amazon) and visit some tourism sites (there will be many for this area). See what might interest your kids. You'll know them better than any of us, for sure.

When we took our then-3-year-old on an Eastern Caribbean cruise,I still had dial up Internet so had to depend on the guidebooks more. When we got to St. Thomas, we asked the taxi driver for a beach recommendation and he took us to Sapphire Beach and there were plenty of others from our ship (lots of Carnival towels), especially kids that our girl recognized. Hubby's only complaint was that the bartender was snubbing him, so maybe too much of a cruiser's look or something.

For Nassau, our girl stayed in Camp Carnival while we went off the ship for a few hours and just looked around within walking distance of the pier.[/quote']

Yes thanks. Good idea. Maybe I will look on amazon for something to research.

I'm wondering if Atlantis is worthwhile for Nassau - or if we are not there long enough. My little one isn't a swimmer yet though so the waterpark would be out.

Yes thanks. Good idea. Maybe I will look on amazon for something to research.

I'm wondering if Atlantis is worthwhile for Nassau - or if we are not there long enough. My little one isn't a swimmer yet though so the waterpark would be out.

You can buy a separate pass I believe for Atlantis that just lets you look around and go to the dig etc...

We're planning to take the kids to St. John from St. Thomas on an upcoming cruise. We think the park with the snorkeling tour will be great for them as beginning snorkelers.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147411-d208083-Reviews-National_Park_Underwater_Trail-Virgin_Islands_National_Park_St_John_U_S_Virgin_Isl.html

Their favorite thing to do on their first cruise was an all-inclusive in Cozumel. They could hop back and forth between the pool and the ocean while ordering unlimited smoothies. We're planning one for Antigua on our upcoming cruise.

Edited by cathep