american table on every carnival by end of feb??

ginka

Someone on FB who just got off a Carnival cruise posted that they were told that every Carnival ship would have 'American table' dining by the end of February. Does anyone have any information that could confirm or deny this? I am not excited about the menu with the 'American table' and am hoping that it does not appear on the Sunshine until after my Feb. 20th sailing.

in case that doesn't happen.... what have been the likes or dislikes of those of you that have been on a ship that has it already?

Someone on FB who just got off a Carnival cruise posted that they were told that every Carnival ship would have 'American table' dining by the end of February. Does anyone have any information that could confirm or deny this? I am not excited about the menu with the 'American table' and am hoping that it does not appear on the Sunshine until after my Feb. 20th sailing.

in case that doesn't happen.... what have been the likes or dislikes of those of you that have been on a ship that has it already?

I have had it and they menu is actually really good. It's a nice change from the old and outdated menu. They have re-vamped the menu since first rolling it out and have added some of the old items, including soups and desserts. I find that it's the ones that have never tried it that are complaining about it the most.

I thought the food in the MDR was just ok when I went on my cruise in December on Elation. I would not mind trying a different menu, at all. We ate in the MDR every night but on this cruise I would probably try to find a good buffet since the Dream probably has more options. I don't know if I can go without my melting choc cake, though. Might make a trip to the MDR just for dessert. lol

ETA: My next cruise is on the Dream in early April so that's what I was referring to at the end.

Edited by BigB0882

Exactly what is on the American Table Menu? How much different is it from their classic menu?

this is a sample for one of the Carnival ships that already has the American Table

http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/CarnivalCruiseLineMenus.htm#at

you can see the other menu's (the regular ones) at this site too and compare. It just looks like it lacks the more elegant feel (and YES, I know many will say the food in the MDR is anything but elegant..but I have always like it and feel pampered with the choices) The American table seems more like a regular restaurant menu to me...BUT I always go in with an open mind and I'm sure I will enjoy either menu.

Edited by ginka

this is a sample for one of the Carnival ships that already has the American Table

http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/CarnivalCruiseLineMenus.htm#at

you can see the other menu's (the regular ones) at this site too and compare. It just looks like it lacks the more elegant feel (and YES, I know many will say the food in the MDR is anything but elegant..but I have always like it and feel pampered with the choices) The American table seems more like a regular restaurant menu to me...BUT I always go in with an open mind and I'm sure I will enjoy either menu.

They have updated and revamped the menus since these were posted.

Thanks for the menus...I think most look wonderful. Glad they have chicken and pork chops as my DH is not that adventurous of an eater.

Only thing I might miss and this sounds silly, but the tablecloths. Just something so special about going to dinner each evening and having that little touch of elegance. Liked the kids menu also!!

I have had it and they menu is actually really good. It's a nice change from the old and outdated menu. They have re-vamped the menu since first rolling it out and have added some of the old items, including soups and desserts. I find that it's the ones that have never tried it that are complaining about it the most.

You hit the nail on the head. I hated the idea when I heard at first but it's actually not that bad, after trying it out on the imagination. Many carnival classics are still offered but there are some additions that I like, such as sweet and sour chicken and Thai noodles on the menu. You can also pick individual sides instead of having to get whatever is offered with the old menu. The portions are smaller but that's fine since I often order multiple apps, entrees and desserts. A drawback is that although you can still get fruit plate and wcmc, the overall variety offered at dessert is not what it used to be. But at least the apps, desserts and entrees are brought out individually, the traditional way. The lack of tablecloths didn't get to me too much as the tables are themselves pretty decent quality. I don't understand the full bottles of wine that sit on every table though. Are they for sale or just for decoration? Stupid and takes up space on the table. But overall, it wasn't as bad as I expected and I probably still prefer the traditional style for now, it's not completely terrible and it does have some improvements.

any idea where there are copies of the updated and revamped ones to see?

Check out my review from the imagination out of long beach from last week. I'm still working on it but it has the new American table and although I didn't get a chance to get complete menu pics, I am describing what I and my travel buddy got in good detail, so there is at least a little sampling there.

You hit the nail on the head. I hated the idea when I heard at first but it's actually not that bad, after trying it out on the imagination. Many carnival classics are still offered but there are some additions that I like, such as sweet and sour chicken and Thai noodles on the menu. You can also pick individual sides instead of having to get whatever is offered with the old menu. The portions are smaller but that's fine since I often order multiple apps, entrees and desserts. A drawback is that although you can still get fruit plate and wcmc, the overall variety offered at dessert is not what it used to be. But at least the apps, desserts and entrees are brought out individually, the traditional way. The lack of tablecloths didn't get to me too much as the tables are themselves pretty decent quality. I don't understand the full bottles of wine that sit on every table though. Are they for sale or just for decoration? Stupid and takes up space on the table. But overall, it wasn't as bad as I expected and I probably still prefer the traditional style for now, it's not completely terrible and it does have some improvements.

Lol, I think they are hoping you will buy the bottle. We always bring our own in, so they remove the "decoy" bottles right away.

I truthfully did not care for the American Table menus when I had them on Glory last year. They needed a lot of work and am hoping they have put it in. The food was very inconsistent including the same item coming with different ingredients for people at the table. I ordered a dish with chicken, it came with sausage which I don't eat. Additionally, much of the food lacked flavor. The lack of tablecloths didn't bother me as the tables looked very nice.

Just off Liberty B2B which had the American table and I was not a fan. Don't know exactly why because I always found something I liked, but I was "comfortable" with the old menus. Only things that really stand out are the cream of mushroom soup and crab cake apps. They were very good. And also the creamed spinach side when it is offered and this from someone who does not like veggies! :p Liberty had the tablecloths and cloth napkins. And the bottle of wine at each table, and yes, you could purchase it. It is red wine. Not sure the price, but did see a number of people buy it. Some of the "daily features" included Ox tongue, some kind of shark and rabbit. YUCK! :eek::eek:

Can anyone answer the question posed by the OP, please?

I believe they have. One person reporting what "someone on the ship told them". If I had $5 for every time someone posted that here...I wouldn't have to visit here anymore.

I wouldn't get myself so worked up until there was a reason to.

Edited by ZJ13820

Thanks for the menus...I think most look wonderful. Glad they have chicken and pork chops as my DH is not that adventurous of an eater.

Only thing I might miss and this sounds silly, but the tablecloths. Just something so special about going to dinner each evening and having that little touch of elegance. Liked the kids menu also!!

It's not silly...I think that is what I'm going to miss the most. :(

Maybe they will put them on at least for formal night. What do you think?

Just off Liberty B2B which had the American table and I was not a fan. Don't know exactly why because I always found something I liked, but I was "comfortable" with the old menus. Only things that really stand out are the cream of mushroom soup and crab cake apps. They were very good. And also the creamed spinach side when it is offered and this from someone who does not like veggies! :p Liberty had the tablecloths and cloth napkins. And the bottle of wine at each table, and yes, you could purchase it. It is red wine. Not sure the price, but did see a number of people buy it. Some of the "daily features" included Ox tongue, some kind of shark and rabbit. YUCK! :eek::eek:

Let's hope the serving of 'rabbit' is a mistake.....