Help - What to do in Bermuda for 3 Days

JohnandKatr

Going to Bermuda on Norwegian Breakaway last few days of April this year. We've never been and have NO IDEA where to go, what transportation to use. We are a fun-loving romantic couple in mid 40's. We enjoy swimming, scenery, cocktails and beer. We love to have fun. Any sugesstions on where to go and how to get there??? So confusing and I can't seem to find much information out there.

Thanks!!

Kate & John

There is so much to do in Bermuda that it is hard to put it all down in one posting. Search this site and you will find lots of information. First tip. Buy the public transportation pass. They come one, two, and three day passes. Probably, a two day would do it for you and the third day you can hang around and explore the Dockyard area. Some of the fun things to check out-Horseshoe Bay, the Beach path that runs from Horseshoe to Warwick Beach, two different sets of cave, St. George, Gibbs Lighthouse, renting a Boston Whaler Boat and going around the island by water, Zoo and Aquarium, Unfinished Church, Tabaco Bay Beach for snorkeling, the Maritime Museum at the Dockyard, Shopping in Hamilton, St. Peter's Church in St. George, the dunking on the wench in St. George at noon in the Town Center, and many more that I didn't list. You can go to a bookstore and get a guide to Bermuda and all of the points of interest will be listed in that book. The first day is usually a short one but you can get at least a couple of things in that day. The second day is all day so I usually suggest a Ferry ride to St. George and catch the points of interest at that end of the island. The third day is also shortened so I always like to stay pretty close to the Dockyard area so I can get back to the ship on time. We have been there the last six years in a row and still find new things to do each time. One time, my DD and I walked the old railroad trail. It was spectacular views along the way and we ended up at Fort Saur. Again a wonderful view of the coast of the island. You won't be able to do everything in the three days but if you plan it well, you will be able to do a lot.

Yes...many threads here about "3 days itinerary"...look it up.

Being late April you pretty much have to rule out activities that involves being in the water...

So much to see and do...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I contacted the Bermuda tourist board and they sent me lot's of books, maps and guides. It has helped me tremendously in planning. I am now waiting on the Spring/Summer ferry schedule to be released so I can get a copy of that along with a map of the bus routes.

There is so much to do in Bermuda that it is hard to put it all down in one posting. Search this site and you will find lots of information. First tip. Buy the public transportation pass. They come one, two, and three day passes. Probably, a two day would do it for you and the third day you can hang around and explore the Dockyard area. Some of the fun things to check out-Horseshoe Bay, the Beach path that runs from Horseshoe to Warwick Beach, two different sets of cave, St. George, Gibbs Lighthouse, renting a Boston Whaler Boat and going around the island by water, Zoo and Aquarium, Unfinished Church, Tabaco Bay Beach for snorkeling, the Maritime Museum at the Dockyard, Shopping in Hamilton, St. Peter's Church in St. George, the dunking on the wench in St. George at noon in the Town Center, and many more that I didn't list. You can go to a bookstore and get a guide to Bermuda and all of the points of interest will be listed in that book. The first day is usually a short one but you can get at least a couple of things in that day. The second day is all day so I usually suggest a Ferry ride to St. George and catch the points of interest at that end of the island. The third day is also shortened so I always like to stay pretty close to the Dockyard area so I can get back to the ship on time. We have been there the last six years in a row and still find new things to do each time. One time, my DD and I walked the old railroad trail. It was spectacular views along the way and we ended up at Fort Saur. Again a wonderful view of the coast of the island. You won't be able to do everything in the three days but if you plan it well, you will be able to do a lot.

Could you give me info on the old railroad trail? Where is it/how did you get there? My husband works for the railroad and I'm sure he'd find that interesting .... thanks!

Follow all of the suggestions posted. I have been travelling to Bermuda for over 30 years (I am 50), we have friends on the island. You will love it!!The public bus/ferry is easy to navigate, the people are very friendly and wonderful to talk to. Just ask the bus driver. The bus runs late to the dockyards( I believe 11PM) If you are more adventurous, rent a moped and go see all of the sights suggested in the previous post. Just DO NOT purchase any excursions on the ship- it is a waste of money. Make sure to see Hamilton too. I would also check out tripadvisor-great information.

If you break up the Bermuda map in grids, you can see alot in a short period of time. In the dockyards, have a bowl of fish chowder(can't remember the bar name- bar in the mall. If you have time, take the ferry to St. Georges and get the bus back, you will just see the beautiful island and pass through Hamilton.

There is a mural in the keep that is worth the admission-Do not swim with dolphins. I did not care for the beach at the dockyards(Yuck) Go to Horshoe Bay-this is the famous beach. There is a van that can ride you up the down/up hill at Horshoe Bay.

Could you give me info on the old railroad trail? Where is it/how did you get there? My husband works for the railroad and I'm sure he'd find that interesting .... thanks!

We picked the Railroad trail up in Somerset Bridge. There is a trail sign on the main road or just ask someone who lives there. You can get onto it in many locations. You can google it and find out about the Bermuda Railroad Trail. They will be glad to give you directions. Now, there are no tracks or rails left. it is just a nice walking path. Not sure a "husband who works for the railroad" would be very impressed. It is just a nice walking path that many many years ago a railroad ran on. Don't want to disappoint the husband.

We picked the Railroad trail up in Somerset Bridge. There is a trail sign on the main road or just ask someone who lives there. You can get onto it in many locations. You can google it and find out about the Bermuda Railroad Trail. They will be glad to give you directions. Now, there are no tracks or rails left. it is just a nice walking path. Not sure a "husband who works for the railroad" would be very impressed. It is just a nice walking path that many many years ago a railroad ran on. Don't want to disappoint the husband.

Thank you for the reply!

Hi! We were thinking of renting bicycles to take on the railroad trail. Is it truly just a walking path or do you think it's good for biking? Is it paved at all?

Thanks.

Read the info on the link just above - it tells you all you need to know :)

My plans for the three days:

Day 1 - Maritime Museum in the dockyard. Stay in Dockyard.

Day 2 - Bus to Hamilton, bus to St. George, trolley tour of St. George, mini-bus to Fort St. Catherine, ferry to Dockyard.

Day 3 - Ferry to St. George, bus to Carter House, bus back to St George, then bus to Hamilton, trolley tour of Hamilton, ferry to Dockyard, shop in Dockyard.

I have to go back to St George on day 3 because Carter House is not open on Monday (day 2) & Monday is also Bermuda Day. I'm hoping to go through Hamilton early enough to avoid the parade crowds. I have also gotten the packet of brochures & a mini map from Bermuda. I will request the bus/ferry schedules & maps when they come out. I hope I'm not missing anything. I didn't include beaches because I'm not interested but I am interested in history.

My plans for the three days:

Day 1 - Maritime Museum in the dockyard. Stay in Dockyard.

Day 2 - Bus to Hamilton, bus to St. George, trolley tour of St. George, mini-bus to Fort St. Catherine, ferry to Dockyard.

Day 3 - Ferry to St. George, bus to Carter House, bus back to St George, then bus to Hamilton, trolley tour of Hamilton, ferry to Dockyard, shop in Dockyard.

I have to go back to St George on day 3 because Carter House is not open on Monday (day 2) & Monday is also Bermuda Day. I'm hoping to go through Hamilton early enough to avoid the parade crowds. I have also gotten the packet of brochures & a mini map from Bermuda. I will request the bus/ferry schedules & maps when they come out. I hope I'm not missing anything. I didn't include beaches because I'm not interested but I am interested in history.

On day 2, you're using unnecessary travel time by taking a bus from Dockyard to Hamilton. If you take the ferry (this ferry route does run on holidays) you'll save about 40-45 minutes. I'm not sure there's still a mini bus to Ft. St. Catherine, and even if there is, it may not have holiday service. Finally, if there is holiday ferry service from St. George's to Dockyard it may be very limited, so check the schedule carefully .

There's no need to request bus and ferry schedules from anyone. They're readily available on the internet. Here's a link to the current bus schedule. It generally doesn't change significantly from year to year (most years it doesn't change at all):

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule_2014.pdf

The summer ferry schedule should be available on line by early April. Someone here will post a link to it when it's published. You can check for it on seaexpress.bm .

Edited by njhorseman

On day 2, you're using unnecessary travel time by taking a bus from Dockyard to Hamilton. If you take the ferry (this ferry route does run on holidays) you'll save about 40-45 minutes. I'm not sure there's still a mini bus to Ft. St. Catherine, and even if there is, it may not have holiday service. Finally, if there is holiday ferry service from St. George's to Dockyard it may be very limited, so check the schedule carefully .

There's no need to request bus and ferry schedules from anyone. They're readily available on the internet. Here's a link to the current bus schedule. It generally doesn't change significantly from year to year (most years it doesn't change at all):

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule_2014.pdf

The summer ferry schedule should be available on line by early April. Someone here will post a link to it when it's published. You can check for it on seaexpress.bm .

I was using the bus on day 2 because I have all day. I wanted to see the sights & I think it's the only chance. I originally thought of using the ferry to St George & the bus back to Dockyard but I was trying to avoid the crowds.

Everything might change after I study the schedules. This plan is as flexible as the schedules. I did want to see St George, Fort St Catherine, Carter House, Hamilton, Black Watch Well?, Somerset Bridge, Gibbs Hill Lighthouse.